Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

blocked nose cure?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i have got one of those really annoying blocked noses where your sinuses are inflamed so no amount of blowing will clear it :banghead:
i started decongestant tablets this morning, ive tried viks in hot water and olbas on tissues but it doesn't do anything except make my eyes stream. The nose spray just stings too.
Does anyone have any good blocked nose cures? The tablets help a little but not enough. I would be very grateful because im desperate!!

Comments

• Options
    viks nasal spray works pretty well I find :yes:
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    olbas on tissues but it doesn't do anything except make my eyes stream. The nose spray just stings too.

That's probably because you've used a little too much. It's very strong as someone told me a while back...
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    viks nasal spray works pretty well I find :yes:
    thats what im using, but it only works for about 10 minutes and it stings
  • Options
    A decongestant doesnt clear it, it actually makes it run more in order to get rid of it. If you take a hayfever tablet too the runny nose will go. :thumb:

I think sinutab is the one with both in, cant remember. I know one of them does anyway but dont take a decongestant too late at night either coz you'll be awake most the night.
  • Options
    what will clear it then? it is running more but i'd rather it be runny and sort of be able to breathe through it than not at all
    last time i took a decongestant was at 7 anyway
  • Options
    nasal blockage isn't because of snot, it's because the veins in your nose have swelled under infection. So blowing tends not to always work.
  • Options
    Yeah take a antihisimine and it'll clear it up but still take your decongestant like normal tomorrow, take some more antihisimine too if you like. And the latest I'd leave one would be about 5ish otherwise it could still be affecting you at bedtime.

Hope this helps x
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    nasal blockage isn't because of snot, it's because the veins in your nose have swelled under infection. So blowing tends not to always work.
    i know...hence the stuffy head too, im hoping decongestants might ease the swelling a bit so i can actually use my nose instead of relying on my mouth and waking up with a dry mouth and sore throat
    i still get the urge to keep blowing though.....if someone put a pair of antlers on me i'll be mistaken for rudolf :(
  • Options
    I suffer from that 365 days a year. I'm one of thsoe secret nerds. It all depends on why it happened to really help clear it. If it was an alergy an antihistemine is good. Colds, decongostins, and theres like a kiddie stuff called dimatap here that tastes yummy grape and works wonders on me too.

Also, this is purley one of those lame ass home remides, but spicy food always clears my sinuses :p
  • Options
    does gum that claims to clear sinuses work? what about those strips for snoring?? would they help clear it?
    its not an allergy by the way...its a cold....would allergy tablets still help?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    does gum that claims to clear sinuses work? what about those strips for snoring?? would they help clear it?
    its not an allergy by the way...its a cold....would allergy tablets still help?
    Yeah it clears it up. My boss, whos a pharmacist recommends it to everyone who comes in for a cold tablet.
  • Options
    Ok, here's what you do.
    Go to the hardware store and pick up one of those hose nozzels that is very thin.
    Now, stick that really far up your nose and let 'er rip!

kidding, i find Psuedoephedrine to work very well
  • Options
    You can just sniff Olbas oil without faffing around with a tissue or hankie.

Otherwise, a week ought to do it.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

Otherwise, a week ought to do it.

I wish :p
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i know...hence the stuffy head too, im hoping decongestants might ease the swelling a bit so i can actually use my nose instead of relying on my mouth and waking up with a dry mouth and sore throat

It will do, amphetamine group drugs (which is what it is) reduce the blood flow and constrict the blood vescles, its part of the fight or flight response.

However the effect is only short term and may well come back worse than before.
  • Options
    Sudafed is good, but you have to remember to keep taking it.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    Does anyone have any good blocked nose cures?
    a spoon full of english mustard - keep your mouth shut as you swallow it
  • Options
    otter wrote:

Seriously?
  • Options
    Seriously?
    :yes: - its quite powerful stuff :)
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    :yuck: think i'll pass...
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    :yuck: think i'll pass...
    :nervous: = :rolleyes:

... :p
  • Options
    I once had a stinky cold, and accidentaly inhaled concentrated ammonia in work, it was miraculous- I was cured!!!!....although I wouldn't recommend it as I nearly passed out at first!
  • Options
    Mez wrote:
    I once had a stinky cold, and accidentaly inhaled concentrated ammonia in work, it was miraculous- I was cured!!!!....although I wouldn't recommend it as I nearly passed out at first!
    isn't that poisionous ...
  • Options
    that sudafed squirty-up-the-nose spray hurts the insides of your nostrils like buggery, but it doesn't half clear them out.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    isn't that poisionous ...

...it's certainly not good for you- but it was a one of! it's amazing how clear my nasal passages were afterwards tho!!!