Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

robbery, murder, culture

In yet another week where yet another young black man robs and murders a defenceless person, is it time to ask why these people are doing it?

It can't be poverty. Or not exclusively. There are a lot of poor people in this country- far poorer than those on benefits or asylum seekers allowances- yet they don't feel the need to murder someone they've just robbed. They often don't feel the need to rob, for that matter.

It seems to be so often the preserve of young black and Albanian people, the art of murdering people for no good reason. is it something in their culture that makes them this way? Is it allowed to talk about it without being branded racist?

I believe that the black cultures view life as cheap. All the gangland shootings, all the songs about murdering gays and women. All tghe objectification of women, and the glamourisation of death. It's about time this was combatted- starting with putting rappers who sing about murdering gays and women behind bars- and its about time that people started attacking these people and these cultures for being barbaric, backward and evil.

It's funny how you don't hear a squeak of disapproval of Sandals holiday resorts, who will turn away any people they suspect are gay. It's funny how condemnation of black music that incites hatred is hardly heard. It's funny how the MOBOs- a festival of music celebrating death (and white girls from Barnstaple)- don't attract much attention for what the content, just the fact they're about black music.

Why do you think these people do this? I believe it is because of a culture that glamourises rape and murder, and a group of people- headed by the CRE- who refuse to condemn it for what it is.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    Yet another week, yet another young black man robs and murders a defenceless person, why are these things doing it? It can't be poverty.

Good post and quite right too. Liberals have always claimed crime and evil was a disease induced by poverty. I am increasingly convinced this is an unconditionally vulgar lie. You ask why it appears to be only the blacks and coloreds making things so bad for their kind; actively jumping into the hole of decadence and catastrophe they seem to have dug for themselves. Well I don't know the reason, but it is entirely of there own doing.
  • Options
    Well I don't know the reason, but it is entirely of there own doing.
    If you don't know the reason, then how can you claim it's of their own doing?
  • Options
    I think you make a number of valid and reasonably points. Society - as I know it, at least - is nothing I feel particularly proud of.
    Kermit wrote:
    starting with putting rappers who sing about murdering gays and women behind bars

So, imprison people for singing? Better yet, imprison people for listening to it. Behead those who think such songs are cool. Ahh... let's just bang up half the population, and behead the rest ;).

The problem isn't the music so much as the fact that those who are easily impressionable and listen to it also tend to be art of gangs. We tend to group with out own, we have particular streets or areas of cities where one particular race or culture is dominant. Once it is dominant, it tends to grow, as more and more people desire to live with folk of their own kind.

Don't get me wrong at all, I'm very tired. I'm not racist, and I'm trying not to sound racist.

Heck, what am I apologising for? Why is it that I feel the need to pussyfoot around the words black, Asian, etc? If I were to use them, I'd also use words like white, British, etc.

Anyway, when a sizable minority of a particular 'breed' ;) inhabits an area, groupings or gangs are - whether we like it or not - created. People have friends, they all have children, their children end up being friends with their parents friends children.

Meh, I know what I'm trying to say, I just can't get it out. In simple terms, we can't lock people up for rapping, or being a particular colour or from a particular place. All we can hope to change is that the whole gang-culture stops being socially acceptable by the children of the future.

I don't know how well any of this post came out. I'll not remember it tomorrow, I tend to forget what I've done after taking a sleeping tablet. Maybe I should rap some songs ;).
  • Options
    So, imprison people for singing? Better yet, imprison people for listening to it. Behead those who think such songs are cool. Ahh... let's just bang up half the population, and behead the rest ;).

The problem isn't the music so much as the fact that those who are easily impressionable and listen to it also tend to be art of gangs. We tend to group with out own, we have particular streets or areas of cities where one particular race or culture is dominant. Once it is dominant, it tends to grow, as more and more people desire to live with folk of their own kind.

I agree that you can't imprison people for singing/rapping etc. And the fact is that children are going to get their albums whether parents want them to or not. I think that black culture cannot be changed by rules and banning certain type of music (this would just give the impression of a minority being oppressed). I think that the black community needs to look at their own culture, and select the bits they want to keep, and the bits they want to get rid of.

There are plenty of responsible rappers and other artists out there, such as Kanye West and Chris Rock, who are somewhat rejecting the gang culture rapping, which I think is growing stale anyway. Groups like Public Enemy and NWA talked about guns, gangs and racism in their songs, but it was done in a gritty and realistic way, without necessarily deliberately glorifying it (although that could have been a side effect). American rap now seems to have become a self parody, with the likes of 50 Cent and Snoop Dogg talking about how great it is to have guns, be in gangs, be pimps (!?).

And that's the other worrying thing. Why is black culture in this country influenced so much by black culture in America? I know culture as a whole is, but black role models in this country seem to end at sportsmen and musicians (who don't seem to get as much airtime as their American counterparts). Maybe black role models in this country don't talk about black issues as much as those in America (or seemingly as much as asian role models in this country), and so when looking for role models, black, British kids look across the pond instead. I'm trying to think of any British mainstream art or personalities which talks about black issues in the same way as people like Kanye West, Spike Lee, Chris Rock or the first wave of rap music.

Incidentally, I also think that the contribution of ethnic minorities should be given a greater (i.e. some) emphasis in schools as well. I can't think off the top of my head of someone in this country who has the same historical status as someone like Martin Luther King or Malcolm X.
  • Options
    *don't link there*
    :p
  • Options
    Its a tough one, and although the Black community in the UK does have it worse than the average white, I dont think it is only economic conditions which have lead to this.

I've heard the lack of male role models is a serious issue, kids grow up without a dad and therefore find it much harder to be a dad themselves and are quicker to leave the mother. This cycle does seem to be breeding a generation of Black men who have never quite grown up.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    In yet another week where yet another young black man robs and murders a defenceless person, is it time to ask why these people are doing it?

It can't be poverty. Or not exclusively. There are a lot of poor people in this country- far poorer than those on benefits or asylum seekers allowances- yet they don't feel the need to murder someone they've just robbed. They often don't feel the need to rob, for that matter.

It seems to be so often the preserve of young black and Albanian people, the art of murdering people for no good reason. is it something in their culture that makes them this way? Is it allowed to talk about it without being branded racist?

I believe that the black cultures view life as cheap. All the gangland shootings, all the songs about murdering gays and women. All tghe objectification of women, and the glamourisation of death. It's about time this was combatted- starting with putting rappers who sing about murdering gays and women behind bars- and its about time that people started attacking these people and these cultures for being barbaric, backward and evil.

It's funny how you don't hear a squeak of disapproval of Sandals holiday resorts, who will turn away any people they suspect are gay. It's funny how condemnation of black music that incites hatred is hardly heard. It's funny how the MOBOs- a festival of music celebrating death (and white girls from Barnstaple)- don't attract much attention for what the content, just the fact they're about black music.

Why do you think these people do this? I believe it is because of a culture that glamourises rape and murder, and a group of people- headed by the CRE- who refuse to condemn it for what it is.

Your some hypocrite when I made a different point about comunity polorisation in the wake of the Birmingham riots you said I was being racist, and that Race didnt exsist then I was only mentioning the economic situation

And when I made the point that in certain circhamstances the media are likely to show racial bias in reporting stories i.e. the Anthony Walker case you dismissed this and again implied I was racist. Now your saying the opoisit.

Actually I agree with a lot of what youve just said, but its part of a wider social problem. Most of these "gangster Rap" records are in the UK listened to by white people but they more likel to grow out of it or not take it seriously where as the black kids are more likely to take it on as a permanent lifestyle.

"I believe that the black cultures view life as cheap" actually if you look a little deeper you might say Black (as in gangster rap, thug life, street gang culture rather than the culture of the majority of black people) views black life as cheap.
    Have you seen 50 cents video in which he kidnaps someone ( a black guy) and rappers talking frequently about killing Ni**as. If they went on about killing whites to the same extent, they probably wouldnt sell as many records and would recieve much more public hostility. So they feel safer making threats against their "own people".
    Idiot clowns like 50 cent play on the negative images of blacks, for the amusment of white people for white peoples money to keep him in half a million dollar jewlery while Africans are starving and Bono has more to say about it than any black music star.
    He plays the negative crime ridden no honour image that infulences black people much more than white, isnt he a white supreamists dream.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

I believe that the black cultures view life as cheap.

"the black cultures"? Which ones? Jamaica? Trinidad? St Lucia? The 50 odd countries in Africa? UK black cultures? US? Middle class? Working class? Christian? Rasta? Muslim? Atheist?

Can you be anymore offensive and generalising?
  • Options
    And when I made the point that in certain circhamstances the media are likely to show racial bias in reporting stories i.e. the Anthony Walker case you dismissed this and again implied I was racist. Now your saying the opoisit.

I still don't think there's a media bias in it. The murders of the police officer in Bradford and now this man have been widely reported.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    "the black cultures"? Which ones?

Most of them.

Certainly the Carribbean and African generic cultures.

I probably could be more offensive. I could ban gay people from my island, lock them up for it, and murder them for it. How's about that?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Most of them.

Are you deliberately trying to be offensive?
    Kermit wrote:
    Certainly the Carribbean and African generic cultures.

Generic Carribean and African culture? Do you realise how offensive and racist that is? Do they all look the same to you Kermit?
    Kermit wrote:
    I probably could be more offensive. I could ban gay people from my island, lock them up for it, and murder them for it. How's about that?

Yes, Jamaica has a real problem with homophobia and violence. Does that make all black people homophobic and violent?

Really kermy, you're more intelligent that this...surely?
  • Options
    Groups like Public Enemy and NWA talked about guns, gangs and racism in their songs, but it was done in a gritty and realistic way, without necessarily deliberately glorifying it

Big difference between Public Enemy and NWA, Chuck D is a bit of a hero of mine actually his lyrics actually ment something and tried to portray a kind of "self pride" where NWA werethe first mainstream rap act to blatently glamorise pointless violence and crime
  • Options
    Does anyone actually have any factual basis for claiming that black people are more disproportionately responsible for this kind of crime.

I believe that this is the case but to what degree is the important thing. If it is only to a slight degree then I think it can be explained by economic conditions etc if it is too a large degree, and a larger degree than oter deprived groups then a cultural explanation is appropriate.....
  • Options
    Here's an interesting site, with all of the basic statistics. Black people are five times more likely to be arrested than white people, but were more likely (it doesn't say by how much) to have their case discontinued before trial.
  • Options
    It's a vicious circle of poverty/lack of education/broken homes.

And it has absolutely fuck all to do with race- i.e. some races being more predispositioned genetically to commit crime.

That's all there is to it.

Otherwise we could look at other areas of crime and suggest that, for instance, white males are predispositioned to violent hooligan behaviour, drunken fighting and race hate crimes, seeing as they are seen far more often committing those crimes than males of other races.

So let's not go that way shall we?
  • Options
    Interesting, hard to get a clear picture of where the 'blame' lies though...

On the point of rap music etc I would point out that This kind of music is also very popular in other ethnic groups but is never cited as a reason for their misbehaviour.......
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    And it has absolutely fuck all to do with race- i.e. some races being more predispositioned genetically to commit crime.

No has suggested any kind of racial/genetic link.

The initial point was to do with cultures. If you accept that differewnt ethnic groups in the UK have to some degree and seperately identifiable culture than you must accept that this can lead to different kinds of behaviour etc
  • Options
    Here's an interesting site, with all of the basic statistics. Black people are five times more likely to be arrested than white people, but were more likely (it doesn't say by how much) to have their case discontinued before trial.

Interesting statistics but it fails to mention the key one, what percentage of street crime attack victims (muggings etc) identify their attackers as black, I had heard that it was 80% in London, but its not considered sutiable to release such figures. You would think that such a statistic as reports of crime analysed by race of attacker (and victim) would be worth while, its interesting thats one piece of data they omited ?

Can anybody provide a link for this data, Im happy to be proved wrong.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    No has suggested any kind of racial/genetic link.

The initial point was to do with cultures. If you accept that differewnt ethnic groups in the UK have to some degree and seperately identifiable culture than you must accept that this can lead to different kinds of behaviour etc
    Fair enough, but I still see no point whatsoever in bringing race into the equation.

There is such thing as white/Asian/other racial background muggers and robbers. And by happy coincidence almost invariably always there is a link between them and black robbers and muggers: namely severe poverty, broken homes, disadvantaged background and access to education and/or drug addiction.

Which goes to show that those factors are responsible for most of the street crime- black people just happen suffer from poverty and disadvantaged backgrounds in larger numbers proportionally than people of other races.
  • Options
    Well that is what I was talking about earlier when I mentioned the back up of statistics etc before you can begin to talk about culture.

However I know that South Asian Muslim community (at least round here) is at least as disadvantaged in terms of job prospects, educational quality etc as the black community.

Now if it turned out that despite this there was still a far higher proportion of Black people vs South Asian Muslims undertaking muggings, robbery etc what would be your explanation then?
  • Options
    Much larger numbers of desperately poor/disadvantaged/drug addicted black people = much larger numbers of black muggers on the street for everyone to notice.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Much larger numbers of desperately poor/disadvantaged/drug addicted black people = much larger numbers of black muggers on the street for everyone to notice.

but to refer to Toadborgs previous point, if one comunity was just as economicaly disadvantaged but had a higher proportion of muggers, you would say what exactly, deny that they might have a problem, say its not a problem, make other exchuses. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to advocate the assistance to the comunity in helping them break the cycle.
  • Options
    Well yes, if it was the case that 1 in every 2 poor black men were muggers but only 1 in every 100 poor white/Asian/etc men were muggers, then there would be a problem that needed addressing.

But that's not the case is it?
  • Options
    Why does it have to be so dramatic, what if it were 1/10 Black men and 1/20 South Asian Muslims, what would you say?

Do you have statistics to back up what you are saying?
  • Options
    ClaireBearClaireBear Deactivated Posts: 467 Listening Ear
    Kermit wrote:
    Is it allowed to talk about it without being branded racist?

See, the problem is that this thread has descended into unfounded accusations and generalisations and that's when it becomes racist.

So I'm closing this thread. And Kermit, you so know the rules and you're so treading a fine line. Just behave.

CB
This discussion has been closed.