Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

healthy eating

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am trying to eat healthy but would like some ideas for things to eat for meals. I want to vary things I eat so I don't get bored. Suggestions please. :)

Comments

• Options
    Jacket potato with beans.
  • Options
    Smoked mackrel tastes really good, is cheap and good for you. (and its ecologically sound because its all line caught and sustainable).
  • Options
    Pizza and chips with loads of red sauce and salt.

Nah only messing.

Yeh fish is really good, and you should be having 5 portions of fruit and veg a day aswell according to the health experts.
  • Options
    pasta

pasta

pasta, with mashed potatoe
  • Options
    I like pasta but what sauces can you use that aren't really fattening?
  • Options
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    I like pasta but what sauces can you use that aren't really fattening?

Pesto ones arent that bad, just use light olive oil, which although fatty isnt nasty fats. Or tomato based sauces which are dead easy to make, just get a couple of tins of tomatos (the best way to eat tom's at this time of year) then simmer down with herbs and spices. I find a dash of worchestershire sauce is excellent.
  • Options
    Tuna salad? Yum
  • Options
    We use the asda cheap bol sauce. Its not too bad and we don't use much. There is another one we use too i will find out the name.

Sometimes we don't have sauce, we just have some chopped spam ( again not too much) and some steam fresh veg. Its actually really nice.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    We use the asda cheap bol sauce. Its not too bad and we don't use much. There is another one we use too i will find out the name.

If you have a decent spice cupboard you can just use a tin or two of tom's to get a cheaper and better for you result.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    pasta, with mashed potatoe

That sounds like a balanced, nutritious meal. :yeees:

Chicken and veg stir-fry, Chilli made with soya mince and/or mixed beans with brown rice, risotto made up with chicken or veg stock and any veg you choose, jacket potato with cottage cheese/beans/tuna & light mayo, egg fried rice with green veg in is good, pasta with tomato sauce (like bongbudda says it's very easy to simmer down tinned tomatoes with any additions you like - my preference is finely chopped chillies and various spices).
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    (like bongbudda says it's very easy to simmer down tinned tomatoes with any additions you like - my preference is finely chopped chillies and various spices).

Lots of garlic too.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Lots of garlic too.

That's the stuff! :thumb:
  • Options
    And fresh basil if you can get it, though most of it is crap and expensive at this time of year, in the summer you can grow your own really easily.
  • Options
    I tried to make a tomatoe sauce with tinned chopped tomatoes but it was really watery. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    I tried to make a tomatoe sauce with tinned chopped tomatoes but it was really watery. Any suggestions?

Either strain the tomatos before hand, or better yet just simmer for a while to reduce the water, this will also strengthen the flavour. It depends on the tinned tomatos you are using, many of them are mostly water.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    If you have a decent spice cupboard you can just use a tin or two of tom's to get a cheaper and better for you result.

Yeah had it before and found i didnt like it. Some probably will though.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Yeah had it before and found i didnt like it. Some probably will though.

The problem is the tomatos in cans are often quite sweet, to over come this you do need to put a little salt in, but worchestershire sauce is excellent for cutting through the sweetness.

It takes some tinkering with, but you can make a better sauce from scratch, and it wont have massive amounts of salt and crappy ingredients.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Either strain the tomatos before hand, or better yet just simmer for a while to reduce the water, this will also strengthen the flavour. It depends on the tinned tomatos you are using, many of them are mostly water.

Ok will try that. Thanks.

Does anyone have any suggestions for healthy lunches that I could prepare to take to work?
  • Options
    I just try and stay away from anything processed or pre-packaged, they usually loaded with loads of crappy things, even the healthy choice ones. Any natural foods have all sorts of nutrients, don't forget to have some fat and salt intake cos your body needs it.

I like eating blueberries (full of anti-oxidents) for snacks.

I read somewhere once that microwaving foods takes away some of the nice nutrients so maybe it would be good to get handy with a pan and oven.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Lucy xx
  • Options
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    Does anyone have any suggestions for healthy lunches that I could prepare to take to work?

Left overs, I make a bit too much dinner a few nights a week then take it in with me and heat it up.
  • Options
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    I am trying to eat healthy but would like some ideas for things to eat for meals. I want to vary things I eat so I don't get bored. Suggestions please. :)
    scrambled tofu on toast :yum:

1/2 a pack of tofu
    2 teaspoons of soy sauce
    1 teaspoon of tumeric
    1/2 a teaspoon of mustard

- mix above together and heat
    serve on hot toast

it is healthy asd its < 250kcals.
  • Options
    try not to eat any white carbohydrates, or dairy products, and make all your food fresh- no processed stuff.
  • Options
    Mez wrote:
    no processed stuff.
    :yes: processed foods are full of crap. not healthy in the slightest. imo processed foods shouldn't even be given the title of "food" ... more like 'energy supplement full of crap that you can eat when you can't be arsed eating / cooking real food'
    ... i used to live off that shit before turning vegan.