Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

renting a house with students

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hiya, wasnt sure where to put this but if anyone can think of a better place feel free to tell me.

i am in my final year at uni and will be finishing in may ish.

i dont want to move back home and am debating moving in with three / four of my friends in huddersfield. the problem being that the people that i would be moving in with would all be students and im not sure where i would stand.

am i correct in thinking that that i would get a 25% discount on the council tax for the whole property?

also in general do people pay rates or are they usually the landlords buisness in any rented propertys?

could anyone come up with other hurdles that i might come across?

i wont have the problem of all night partying when i have to get up for work and things like that as they will all be final years anyway. i just need economic advice.

thanks for your help in advance :)

mel

Comments

• Options
    Mel-H wrote:
    am i correct in thinking that that i would get a 25% discount on the council tax for the whole property?
    I believe so, if you are the only non-student, though you should check that with the local council.
    also in general do people pay rates or are they usually the landlords buisness in any rented propertys?
    Rates? Council tax = rates. Water bills are sometimes paid by the landlord, sometimes not. The electric and gas are usually the responsibility of the tenants.
    Apart from them being lazy bums, up all night and asleep all day, no. I'd say it's better to live with people you like and know than moving in with strangers or on your own. Also much cheaper to share, so it'll give you a chance to save up for a deposit to get a place of your own.
  • Options
    Mel-H wrote:
    hiya, wasnt sure where to put this but if anyone can think of a better place feel free to tell me.

i am in my final year at uni and will be finishing in may ish.

i dont want to move back home and am debating moving in with three / four of my friends in huddersfield. the problem being that the people that i would be moving in with would all be students and im not sure where i would stand.

i wont have the problem of all night partying when i have to get up for work and things like that as they will all be final years anyway. i just need economic advice.

thanks for your help in advance :)

mel
    I'm not sure of the amount but I have a friend in a similar situation i.e. she lives with two students but she has graduated and she does have to pay council tax but she does get a discount as the others are students but I'm not sure how much (the amount you mention sounds about though).

In my experience the rates (communal area fees) are the responsibility of the landlord and hence are included in your rent. The other bills such as water, electric, phone, gas etc are your responsibility. Any repairs to property including when thing go wrong such as plumbing etc are the landlords responsibility unless the problem is your fault e.g. you block the toilet and need a plumber in which case you have to pay. If you get rats it is considered a public health issue and the landlord has to pay. If you get mice however it isn't and the tenant has to pay. In general that is.
  • Options
    Sorry i ment water rates, infact are water rates the same thing as your water bill? i had never realised just how ignorant i am about a lot of things until now

i have rented in student accomodation for 4 years but i have always ended up in places that are all bills included.
  • Options
    Mel-H wrote:
    Sorry i ment water rates, infact are water rates the same thing as your water bill? i had never realised just how ignorant i am about a lot of things until now

i have rented in student accomodation for 4 years but i have always ended up in places that are all bills included.
    I rented a flat last year and the water was not included, we had to pay a bill every quarter. I think the confusion with rates and bills is that back in the old days everybody paid a certain "rate" for water regardless of how much they used. Nowadays a lot of people have water meters (all new houses have them and a lot of older houses are getting them fitted) which is fairer as you pay for the water you use and save money by saving water.

Also on a water bill you get charged for water that you have used and you get charged another amount for the disposal of waste water. Or at least we did.
  • Options
    i didnt have bills included in my student house, though i did have the water billing included, gas and electric were all mine
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks :) the house that we want to move into is band c :o may have to rethink