Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My friends hate my new friend...

The last few months have been tricky. Basically, the one friend I had in this area whom I could meet up with has now moved away to the capital. So, I'm feeling kinda lonely. Understandable, maybe. But now I'm back in touch with an old work colleague. As I can't reveal her name here, let's call her "K" for the purpose of this thread. Now, me and K get on well. We've spent some time together in the last few months. She attends the local university during the week, and we see each other occasionally on weekends and holidays. She keeps me company, we get drunk together, the usual shenanigans...

Unfortunately, there's just one problem. Everyone I speak to from the site hates her guts. For reasons I can't go into here, they think she treats me badly and that I could do better. They've told me I shouldn't go anywhere near this girl. But I don't see what else I can do. I know this girl's not good for me, but if I stop speaking to her, I'm gonna be all on my own. And that's the last thing I want right now.

How do you cope when you've met someone, but no one else can stand them?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Everyone from this site? If we all know her, then surely you can use her name? I mean, it's not like she won't know that you mean her - because she will.
  • Options
    Everyone from this site? If we all know her, then surely you can use her name? I mean, it's not like she won't know that you mean her - because she will.
    No, no - everyone I speak to from the site. "K" doesn't use the site herself, it's just that some of the people I know here and am close to have been voicing deep misgivings about her and I'm not sure what to do.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    No, no - everyone I speak to from the site. "K" doesn't use the site herself, it's just that some of the people I know here and am close to have been voicing deep misgivings about her and I'm not sure what to do.

I get you now.

Well, at the end of the day, you have to choose to do what you want to do. If you know she's bad news for you, then keep her at arms length and start trying to make new friends - clubs and stuff will help you there. What about work, do you have workmates? Or uni/college?
  • Options
    I get you now.
    Well, at the end of the day, you have to choose to do what you want to do. If you know she's bad news for you, then keep her at arms length and start trying to make new friends - clubs and stuff will help you there. What about work, do you have workmates? Or uni/college?
    I'm looking for work at the moment, she's one of the people I met at the place I last worked, and the only one I'm still in touch with. As for university, I don't start there until September, (assuming a place gives me an offer) so I don't really want to spend eight months letting this drag on.
  • Options
    I'm sorry SG but who knows best? You or a few basic strangers from a website who don't even know this girl. If she keeps you company, you have good craic and have no other friends then stay mates with her. It's not even worth a debate.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I'm looking for work at the moment, she's one of the people I met at the place I last worked, and the only one I'm still in touch with. As for university, I don't start there until September, (assuming a place gives me an offer) so I don't really want to spend eight months letting this drag on.

I can see where you're coming from... why do you/others think she's bad for you? Do you really think that, or are you just saying it because that's what everyone tells you?

I think you should do what you want to do. If that means being friendly with her, then go for it! If not, then try and cut ties with her slowly - that way you'll be working/at uni and it won't matter because you'll have new friends and you'll drift apart gradually.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    You need to decide for yourself, I'm afraid. All these other people know is what you have told them. They don't know what it is like when you and K are together. You need to call this one for your (and K's) sake, not because of your friends.

It is hard sometimes as friends always think they know best about a situation and even if they are proven correct it is up to you to find out for yourself.
  • Options
    what? i think you're old enough to decide who you can be friends with. if she really is as nasty as they say then you'll find out for yourself soon enough.
  • Options
    what? i think you're old enough to decide who you can be friends with. if she really is as nasty as they say then you'll find out for yourself soon enough.
    Alright, have it your way. I was hoping I wouldn't need to reveal more about this, but I'm increasingly left with no choice. K is a woman who has, how can I put this, violent tendencies. She tends to lash out as soon as anything goes wrong at the first thing she sees, usually me. That's why my mates from here are concerned. And that's why I say she's not good for me. What I'm saying is, if I stop speaking to her, I'm gonna be lonelier than I already am. She's admitted she's got a problem, and I've been trying to get her to go to counselling, but all my mates are saying is I shouldn't associate myself with this "nutcase".
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    all my mates are saying is I shouldn't associate myself with this "nutcase".

Maybe they mean 'get involved' rather than 'associate'. Do you know what I mean? There's a difference. They're obviously worried for you, as mates are meant to be. But like everyones said, it's a choice only you can make.
  • Options
    Maybe they mean 'get involved' rather than 'associate'. Do you know what I mean? There's a difference. They're obviously worried for you, as mates are meant to be. But like everyones said, it's a choice only you can make.
    I think I understand the distinction. This girl's troubled, and I'm trying to help her. I either stop helping her, and make everyone else happy, or carry on doing what I'm doing, and risk alienating my other mates.
  • Options
    If you like her, why should your friends make the decision if you hang out with her or not. You choose who you like and want to spend time with. Your friends may be "looking out for you" or whatever, but its you choice. If you like her, then be her friend, its not up to other people to decide for you.
  • Options
    if YOU feel she treats you badly then stop seeing her. its better to have no friends than be fucked by those you do have.
    it doesn't matter what other people think - she is YOUR friend: YOU decide what is right for YOU - nobody else can do that for you!
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Alright, have it your way. I was hoping I wouldn't need to reveal more about this.

wtf?!? i made a comment based on what YOU said. if you chose to not reveal all of the story then that's your business. i didn't ask you to tell me more, did i. and if you didn't want to reveal all, you didn't have to.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    If you like her, why should your friends make the decision if you hang out with her or not. You choose who you like and want to spend time with. Your friends may be "looking out for you" or whatever, but its you choice. If you like her, then be her friend, its not up to other people to decide for you.
    I'm not asking people to decide for me, I'm just asking how people deal with these kinds of situations.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I'm not asking people to decide for me, I'm just asking how people deal with these kinds of situations.

Do what you want. If people don't like it, fuck 'em!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    The last few months have been tricky. Basically, the one friend I had in this area whom I could meet up with has now moved away to the capital. So, I'm feeling kinda lonely. Understandable, maybe. But now I'm back in touch with an old work colleague. As I can't reveal her name here, let's call her "K" for the purpose of this thread. Now, me and K get on well. We've spent some time together in the last few months. She attends the local university during the week, and we see each other occasionally on weekends and holidays. She keeps me company, we get drunk together, the usual shenanigans...

Unfortunately, there's just one problem. Everyone I speak to from the site hates her guts. For reasons I can't go into here, they think she treats me badly and that I could do better. They've told me I shouldn't go anywhere near this girl. But I don't see what else I can do. I know this girl's not good for me, but if I stop speaking to her, I'm gonna be all on my own. And that's the last thing I want right now.

How do you cope when you've met someone, but no one else can stand them?

Keep separate social circles. Some of my friends have barely met each other, and it's best kept that way.
  • Options
    your life, your choice but no-one deserves to be punched about. end of. which is what you have said she does.
  • Options
  • Options
    your life, your choice but no-one deserves to be punched about. end of. which is what you have said she does.
    I know you're one of the people who's been particularly concerned about this. I understand that. As I said on my LiveJournal, "all I’m trying to do is help her. I want her to seek help for her problem. It would be wrong and irresponsible to walk away from someone who has admitted they need help. And as soon as she has seeked help, I’m not going to walk away."

Ultimately, she's a kind girl who's just got some serious troubles to deal with. But my instincts are telling me to help her out. I can’t help it, that's the sort of man I am. If that makes me a bad person, then that's a very sad day. Doing this thread has, if anything, made me all the more defiant to keep speaking to her. Thanks to everyone who responded.