Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Learning a language

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've got completely mixed-up with language learning, I've been trying to learn one for 2 years yet I haven't go anywhere because I can't decide what to learn, and I thought I'd chosen one, bought a course that set me back £20 and didn't want to learn it anymore. I've tried to learn Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese, Irish, Scottish Gaelic, French, German, Spanish, Greek, Swedish, Danish, Noweigian, Swahili, Afrikaans, Dutch, Russian, Inuktitut, and various other language. So basically, I know a few words in each because I decided I didn't want to learn it soon after.

So, how do I decide which fucking language I should learn so I can get on with learning it?

Comments

• Options
    where do you want to go travel the most? :)
  • Options
    which one did you get the most enjoyment from? :)
  • Options
    it sounds like you need to stick with a language rather than just giving up after a few tries. i studied french and spanish at school and disliked them both. but i now do french at uni.. its only when i got to a good level that i actually enjoyed it.

i think you need to ask yourself why you want to learn a language.. if its for travelling, for work, because you like a certain culture. and then you'll have a better idea :) also doing a course on it instead of self-teaching would be more beneficial.
  • Options
    Scottish

Scottish is a language? i just thought it was english with a few words different like tatties and och noor

/has read some oor willie
  • Options
    I actually meant Scottish Gaelic which is a completely different language in it's own right.

But on the subject of Scottish languages, there is a language called Lowland Scots that is actually considered another language yet it looks just like what you described.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowland_Scots Wikipedia knows all :).
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    icey wrote:
    Scottish is a language? i just thought it was english with a few words different like tatties and och noor

/has read some oor willie

He wrote Scottish Gaelic, which is a language. A complicated, horrible, practically distinct language that I was forced to learn in Primary School :|, but a language all the same :)
  • Options
    A complicated, horrible, practically distinct language that I was forced to learn in Primary School :|, but a language all the same :)

Quite right, it's so complicated I almost believe it is impossible if you're not born into it.

Alright, not immpossible, but up there with the likes of Mandarin.
  • Options
    Well Spanish is useful to learn.
  • Options
    The Michel thomas language thingies on Cd are good if you choose one of the languages he does
  • Options
    leese wrote:
    The Michel thomas language thingies on Cd are good if you choose one of the languages he does

Hmm, I guess I could download one of his, he does French, Spanish, Italian and German, right? What do you think of them and how does he teach?
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    it sounds like you need to stick with a language rather than just giving up after a few tries. i studied french and spanish at school and disliked them both. but i now do french at uni.. its only when i got to a good level that i actually enjoyed it.

i think you need to ask yourself why you want to learn a language.. if its for travelling, for work, because you like a certain culture. and then you'll have a better idea :) also doing a course on it instead of self-teaching would be more beneficial.

I travel a lot to South Africa, but the problem with languages there is, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who didn't use English on a day-to-day basis, and the resources just aren't availible to learn Afrikaans or one of the various black South African languages :(.
  • Options
    well, you could learn dutch, afrikaans & dutch are pretty similar :p
  • Options
    leese wrote:
    :yes: Ive got the french one which is really good. Im only up to CD 4 but he makes it so easy. My mums got the spanish one which she found great too.
    Its not like speaking a language fluently or anything, but to get a feel for a language, I think hes really good.
  • Options
    id suggest either French or spanish as a second language, partly cos youll already know a bit from school, and with french, its the nearest country, and with spanish, its one of the most widely spoken languages in the world, if not THE widest spoken, therefore extremely useful to know.
  • Options
    Hmm, I guess I could download one of his, he does French, Spanish, Italian and German, right? What do you think of them and how does he teach?

It is quite difficult to explain, but I can tell you that he is very popular and I was quite impress with how much I learned, considering that I have very little aptitude for "other" languages.

The format is him in a classroom situation with two other students and he is teaching them and you are the third student. The way he teaches is almost to like make the language logical, so that it just sinks into your head, which it does. One of his rules is that you shouldnt really have to think about it you should just be able to use the words and phrases automatically. Im sorry I cannot explain it any better than that, but I can tell you that I used it before I went travelling in France in the summer, knowing virtually no French and it, I dont know, just seem to stick with me. it is a ver effective way of learning.

I think you can get them from bookshops or WHSmith, but what I would recommend you do is to get one from your local library, because a decent one will stock one.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Why not try something close to your mother-tongue? Like French or German. Of course all languages are good but to get the hang of the process it'd be best if you stuck to something without particular difficulties.

Don't pick Greek for that. If you want to learn it you really need to get some experience into learning foreign languages.
    I've heard from foreigners that it's quite a frustrating experience having to learn all our grammar and vocabulary and all the subtle syntactic differences and of course the accent and the intonation of the voice when speaking.
    Other than that I'd suggest you find a course rather than self-teahcing. Native speaker teachers are best of course.

Best in my opinion to start with however is C. :)
  • Options
    I agree, it is very boring when you don't know how to express yourself in a language. It does take a long time until you grow out of that phase though, and you have to dedicate yourself to it. As I see, you have tried lots of languages. Perhaps, if you would have sticked to only one of them during your period of switching, you might have learned it to such an extent you enjoyed it?
  • Options
    quarfly wrote:
    I Perhaps, if you would have sticked to only one of them during your period of switching, you might have learned it to such an extent you enjoyed it?

Indeed. Also, it may help you if ever so often you had someone who could test you to see how well you're doing?
  • Options
    Indeed. Also, it may help you if ever so often you had someone who could test you to see how well you're doing?

I've always thought it is hard to learn a language on your own. Taking courses and the like are good, but isn't having a personal teacher the best idea?

EDIT: They could check your progress etc.
  • Options
    At school I did GCSE French (which I hated) and German (which I found ok) but after 4-5 years of learning these languages I never really got beyond ordering an omelette or whatever.

It was only when I did the GAP year thing and went to Brazil that I really got to learn a foreign language- Brazilian Portuguese. Before I went I tried with a book, a tape and a cd-rom but to be honest classes are much better.

Adult education classes are often quite subsidised so work out really good value and having other people to practice on and motivate you helps.

It took me about 2 and a half years to get fluent in Portuguese although I have spent a total of 10 months in Brazil which really helped.
  • Options
    quarfly wrote:
    I've always thought it is hard to learn a language on your own. Taking courses and the like are good, but isn't having a personal teacher the best idea?

EDIT: They could check your progress etc.
    Classes in groups are so much cheaper though. Also it is good fun to meet other people.
  • Options
    I want to learn Italian. I haven't got any time to go to a class so I am thinking of getting a CD thing, just to start off.

I learnt French to a high level and did a bit of German. I loved languages at school. Don't know why I didn't carry them on. Instead I chose maths :yeees:
  • Options
    I want to learn Italian. I haven't got any time to go to a class so I am thinking of getting a CD thing, just to start off.

I learnt French to a high level and did a bit of German. I loved languages at school. Don't know why I didn't carry them on. Instead I chose maths :yeees:
    It requires an enormous amount of self-discipline though to sit down with the cd regularly if you are already a busy person. Also you really need to practice speaking out loud (although I guess you could do this by yourself!)

Good luck with it :)
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    It requires an enormous amount of self-discipline though to sit down with the cd regularly if you are already a busy person. Also you really need to practice speaking out loud (although I guess you could do this by yourself!)

Good luck with it :)

I speak to myself all the time. I may as well do it in a different language :p

I think I just want to get a feel for the language and things before committing myself to a course and the like. And I can have the CD on in the background.

First step is to buy the damn CD though!

Cheers m'dear :D
  • Options
    Sometimes I try thinking in other languages. It is quite hard though. :p
  • Options
    Another thing (although I don't think this will help the OP) is language and skills exchanges. This works best for people who live in big cities with lots of foreign people. I meet up with a native speaker from Gumtree Language Swap and we spoke to each other in English and Portuguese so that we could practice each others language.