Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Rant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Dear girls,

If you ever meet a guy that tells you he's in love with you, and shows it for quite some time, doing his best to stay sane all the while, and you don't have the intention to get with him, please, PLEASE don't:
a) give him false hope
b) try staying friends with him

Either do something nasty to make him think bad of you and live with it knowing that you've helped him get over a crush, or just try fading away from his life. Don't try to pursuit a friendship if you see that's not what he wants.

Best regards,
nmrmak

Comments

• Options
    Thats a little unfair.

You cant expect someone else to try to get you to get over them. Thats up to you.

However i do agree that people shouldnt lead others on when they have no intention of letting anything develop.
  • Options
    I have to disagree with part of that. Sometimes you can settle for a friendship rather than nothing at all. I'd certainly settle for that. I like to think that if i fell for a friend and she wasnt interested that way she would tell me so but say that we can remain friends, friends is better than nothing in my opinion*, you'll get over the heartache of her not liking you that way. I for one can repsect her for that and be friends. I cant be the only one capable of such a thing.

*situations may vary
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    Thats a little unfair.

You cant expect someone else to try to get you to get over them. Thats up to you.

However i do agree that people shouldnt lead others on when they have no intention of letting anything develop.

Girls can, however, make it easier for guys by not trying to pursue a friendship even after it's painfully obvious that he's in for more, because that won't help us at all in my opinion.
    Then again... I can understand her too... if i had a girl friend who was almost perfect, i'd want to keep her as a friend and not allow her to drift away. But that seems to be the only fair thing to do if my feelings aren't reciprocal.
    Sometimes, i just fall in love too hard, and can't fall out of it...my bad obviously... right now i feel like true, two-way love doesn't exist.
    After all, this is just a rant...
  • Options
    EDN1 wrote:
    I have to disagree with part of that. Sometimes you can settle for a friendship rather than nothing at all. I'd certainly settle for that. I like to think that if i fell for a friend and she wasnt interested that way she would tell me so but say that we can remain friends, friends is better than nothing in my opinion*, you'll get over the heartache of her not liking you that way. I for one can repsect her for that and be friends. I cant be the only one capable of such a thing.

*situations may vary

that's a hard one... I'm not sure what i feel anymore... Whenever i see her and talk to her, i feel so full of energy, i just can't explain the feeling. Still, when i think that she just wants to be friends, it feels like it would be a lot easier to just forget about her completely.

She would be a perfect friend if i hadn't fallen in love with her. But the question is: would i be a perfect friend for her then, as i am now?
    Emotions are a nasty thing.

I simply wish i hadn't fallen in love with her in the first place...

Edited to add: Please bear with me, i'm emotionally beaten up to death at the moment, so i might say something confusing or plain harsh or stupid...
  • Options
    Being friends is better than nothing. I'm living proof of the latter.
  • Options
    junker wrote:
    Being friends is better than nothing. I'm living proof of the latter.

I agree. And I think that you can be a good friend for her too. Particularly if you can find someone else to focus your attention on (someone you genuinely like obviously, not just someone to take your mind of her) easier said than done I know. After all, you will obviously care for her a great deal, and thats what friends do - care and don't have sex. :D

I don't think you can just blame girls for this too, because I'm sure there are plenty of girls out there who could tell you about the reverse situation occuring. The only other option would be to say girls, don't hang out with a guy unless you fancy him, which I definately wouldn't want.

But since it's a rant, fuck em, fuck em all!
  • Options
    Having had the experience of being the girl in this situation - I just wanted to say that I think it can work being just friends if the friendship is really strong but you need to be sensitive and never assume that the person with the crush has gotten over it.
    In my personal experience, the guy told me how he felt and we talked and i explained i didnt feel that way and we went back to being friends and we succeeded in staying great friends but 1 year later, I got a new boyfriend and just didnt even think about how this would affect my guy friend. Because of me not being sensitive about it, i lost a really great friend.
  • Options
    flighty wrote:
    Having had the experience of being the girl in this situation - I just wanted to say that I think it can work being just friends if the friendship is really strong but you need to be sensitive and never assume that the person with the crush has gotten over it.
    In my personal experience, the guy told me how he felt and we talked and i explained i didnt feel that way and we went back to being friends and we succeeded in staying great friends but 1 year later, I got a new boyfriend and just didnt even think about how this would affect my guy friend. Because of me not being sensitive about it, i lost a really great friend.
    but you cant be expected to remain single or creep about for the rest of your life just so not to upset your friend, what would you have done if you were being sensitive?
  • Options
    i have no idea. I still feels something for her and it's not easy to be objective and rational (although i'm doing my best)
  • Options
    nmrmak wrote:
    Dear girls,
    If you ever meet a guy that tells you he's in love with you, and shows it for quite some time, doing his best to stay sane all the while, and you don't have the intention to get with him, please, PLEASE don't:
    a) give him false hope
    b) try staying friends with him

Either do something nasty to make him think bad of you and live with it knowing that you've helped him get over a crush, or just try fading away from his life. Don't try to pursuit a friendship if you see that's not what he wants.
    Damn, this sounds just like a situation I was in this time last year. She did something nasty, she ended all contact with me, and I'm grateful to her for it.
  • Options
    Isn't it down to you to suck it up? Surely people should be able to deal with unrequited love without other having to go out of their way by being nasty to 'help' them?
  • Options
    carrot12 wrote:
    Isn't it down to you to suck it up? Surely people should be able to deal with unrequited love without other having to go out of their way by being nasty to 'help' them?

I'd sort of agree with that, ones you tell someone you like them and you get their reply, assuming they tell you they dont feel the same, it's upto you over time to get over that, as hard as it always is to get over unrequited love you are the one with those feelings and you have to deal with them, not the other person.

Staying friends is possible though.
  • Options
    this is a rant. I expressed my feelings there. Yes, it would be easier for me if she helped it, or didn't make it worse anyway.
  • Options
    nmrmak wrote:
    this is a rant. I expressed my feelings there. Yes, it would be easier for me if she helped it, or didn't make it worse anyway.

I know what it feels like and i talk from experience in my replys. You are entitled to rant, thats how you feel from your point of view. Keeping inside without releasing it, not letting yourself get over, now thats not good, ranting will help you get over it. Regardless of what anyone says only time will heal how you feel, that may be a long time, it may be a short time. Unfortunatly we just have to grin and bare it as much as that sucks.
  • Options
    Too true if you ask me. But it's still not fair of her to further pursue a friendship with me if that's not what i want (and i don't want to break her heart friends-wise)
  • Options
    It bugs me when girls lead you on when the whole time they have no intention of being any more than friends. Maybe its like a power trip or a ego boost or something.
  • Options
    It bugs me when girls lead you on when the whole time they have no intention of being any more than friends. Maybe its like a power trip or a ego boost or something.
    When she deliberately leads you on, I agree, but if you've just misread the signals, then surely that your own fault? You can't blame her for wanting to remain friends if you get on so well, and enjoy each others company. I know that if any one of my female friends decided that they liked me more than that, and I didn't feel the same way, then I wouldn't want to just cut all my ties with them. And if I liked a friend, but she wasn't interested, then I wouldn't expect her to abstain from relationships for the rest of her life, as much as I'd hate to see her with someone else. Like I said, I think that as soon as you find someone else that you feel the same way about, then you don't think about your friend in that way any more. Of course sods law would probably mean that this would be the point when she finally realises she loved you all along. :banghead:
  • Options
    the point is that this is happening the 3rd time in my life, almost identical situation... I've never had a proper relationship, so i'm wondering if i'm doing something wrong. I always end up as friends with girls i fall in love with (i had a few one night relationships. that doesn't count though (nothing sexual)). I always get turned down by them saying i'm perfect, just what they're looking for, but no.

I'm not angry with her, as it's her decision, i'm just a bit disappointed in love, that's all.
  • Options
    nmrmak wrote:
    the point is that this is happening the 3rd time in my life, almost identical situation... I've never had a proper relationship, so i'm wondering if i'm doing something wrong. I always end up as friends with girls i fall in love with. I'm just a bit disappointed in love, that's all.

I've edited your post slightly to highlight the parts i can relate to. I know the feeling. I have fallen for a couple of girls in the past and they havent been interested in me, I've then become friendly with them, which ive always felt was odd but as i said before friends can be better than nothing, anyway thats not what i want to say again. I've wondered what i am doing wrong also but i've faced facts and accepted that they werent interested and suffered the heartache. To be honest with you i wonder where it will end, i wonder is this always going to happen to me, i fall for someone they arent interested over & over again.

You think you are disappointed in love, your not alone.

You want to know the funny thing. I've done it again, fallen for someone again. Same circle, over & over & over
  • Options
    Seems to happen to people who are too naive, and fall in love with all their hearts. Yes, i am naive.
    p.s. People who are just after a shag don't get heartache because they don't care about the person much in the first place. They do it just for a bit of fun... And they seem to be having more fun than me.
  • Options
    I've been thinking over your post all night. I've been thinking over my experience of similar situations, and the how i feel with someone now. It's such a shitty place to be, having such intense feelings for someone, telling them all the rejection stuff. I so want to tell the person i have feelings for but i feel i cant, and just as you are feeling now, if i open my mouth i could be in the same situation yet again also and i dont want to have that heartache again.

Your rant has got me thinking about how i feel now and how to deal with it.

Dare i say a lot of people are naive when it comes to love and relationships, thats where experience and growing up come sinto it, you learn from it all.
  • Options
    I just hope that this thread doesn't start anyone's dectructive thinking, because i think you one should always try his best to think positively and be objective when it comes to situations like this. (not that i can do this all the time, but at least i try)
  • Options
    nmrmak wrote:
    Seems to happen to people who are too naive, and fall in love with all their hearts. Yes, i am naive.
    p.s. People who are just after a shag don't get heartache because they don't care about the person much in the first place. They do it just for a bit of fun... And they seem to be having more fun than me.

But fucking around gives you plenty of opportunities for relationships. A lot of so-called "fuck buddies" i've known have got together and had fairly serious relationships. Plus you gain experience and confidence with women.

Acting placidly like a friend around a girl and then slowly increasing your soppyness in the hope she'll fall in love with you back in return is a BAD strategy to employ. In fact, it's one the worst. One of my pals was really on his knees with his ex-girlfriend, being completely soppy and generally acting like a pussy. She could barely tolerate him and he got dumped soon as was convenient.

Take the lead, don't act like a pussy and don't appear desperate.
    Manage that and you're halfway there.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Acting placidly like a friend around a girl and then slowly increasing your soppyness in the hope she'll fall in love with you back in return is a BAD strategy to employ. In fact, it's one the worst. One of my pals was really on his knees with his ex-girlfriend, being completely soppy and generally acting like a pussy. She could barely tolerate him and he got dumped soon as was convenient.

Take the lead, don't act like a pussy and don't appear desperate.
    Manage that and you're halfway there.
    I agree with that. But I'd just like to emphasise that "don't act like a pussy" doesn't equal "act like a twat."

I find that the the guys I know that have good relationships with nice girls are the types that not only have confidence in themselves, but also have a reason to be confident. Something like a series of talents (like sport, art, whatever really) that give you an ego boost when you do them, or give you interesting topics of conversation that you can talk passionately about. There are plenty of guys out there who have confidence because they're good-looking/able to beat people up/have lots of money etc, and these tend to be the type of people, who find it easy to get girls interested in the first place, but without something else to go along with this, I think most girls will soon see past this type of shallow confidence.

The motto, therefore, is to focus on yourself, and do things that make you feel good about yourself. Even if you're not amazing at it, you'll at least enjoy yourself, and someone may see how passionate you are about it, which can be a very attractive quality. I know it's a cliche, but it's much easier for others to like you, when you like yourself.

And this all comes back to Spliffies point of don't be a pussy. Don't always be available to kiss a girls arse whenever she want you to. That doesn't mean deliberately avoid her, but have a life, have things you are doing instead. Have opinions, don't just agree with whatever she says. Don't refuse to even hint at anything sexual because of the risk of her (shock, horror!) finding out you like her. Don't know if any of this applies to you (I'm guessing, though that it does) but it's always good to remember this sort of thing. God knows I need to take this advice as much as the next bloke. :blush:
  • Options
    I don't act like a pussy with this girl because our interests are very similar, and i really have no need to pretend when i'm around her, but i'm not saying that doesn't happen sometimes. (then again, you have to be tolerant)

And as an update:
    She isn't ready for a relationship right now... that's probably why she got a bf yesterday.