Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

STD and HIV test - I am so frigtened

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all, My first visit here, I am just so terribly frightened I don't know what to do.
In december I very stupidly slept with a stranger. I am fairly sure we used a condom, but I'm ashamed to say I was very drunk and cannot be totally sure. I went yesterday for a STD test, preliminary results showed no problems. But I am so terrified because I had an HIV test. When the nurse went through the riskiest ways to contract HIV, one of then was having sex with someone outside the UK. The man I slept with was foreign - I realise that this fact doesn't mean a lot but it has just put such fear in my heart. I don't get my results until next wednesday I getting increasingly physically and mentally sick with worry. I can't sleep, I keep crying and have been drinking heavily to try and forget my fears. I just don't know how I will cope until wednesday - there are many reasons as to why I should be fine, but what if I'm one of the unlucky ones?
I appreciate no one can say anything which will make this situation better, I just have no one to turn to.

Comments

• Options
    awww, hugs!! good luck hunni. you were brave to go for the check in the first place, and this will teach u a valuable lesson i hope!!!
    also, there is alot of medication that can help HIV sufferers (i.e. people who are HIV+)!
    Let us know how u get on!
  • Options
    I know it's easier said than done, but don't get yourself in such a state about it. You don't even know that you have anything to fear, and to be honest there's no greater fear than the unknown. Even if in the worst case scenario, it turned out you tested positive, at least you'd be dealing with a situation that you could control to an extent (or at least medical professionals could).

It's easy to turn to drink in a situation like this, but try not to use it as a crutch or to numb your worries. There are people on here you can talk to about it, who are always willing to listen and lend an ear.

Hopefully you'll be fine, and all you'll take away from the experience is an appreciation of how important it is to use a condom...not least when it's with a stranger (I don't mean to lecture, I know you know this already and regret it). If you need to talk or rant or just some kind words then PM me, otherwise I hope your results are negative and that you can feel stronger between now and the results date. :)
  • Options
    HIV isn't the end of the world. Don't worry so much about it.
  • Options
    Try not to worry about it too much or you'll make yourself ill. Easier said than done though I guess :(

All I can say is goodluck!! Let us know how things go!

And remember, we all make mistakes in life! You're not the only one :yes:
  • Options
    kink wrote:
    Hi all, My first visit here, I am just so terribly frightened I don't know what to do.
    In december I very stupidly slept with a stranger. I am fairly sure we used a condom, but I'm ashamed to say I was very drunk and cannot be totally sure. I went yesterday for a STD test, preliminary results showed no problems. But I am so terrified because I had an HIV test. When the nurse went through the riskiest ways to contract HIV,
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I hope the nurse (? I was seen by a doctor when I last went to the GUM clinic) will also have explained that you'll need a follow up HIV test in a couple of months. Was PEP mentioned?
  • Options
    was thinking the same when i reas the post. You need to wait 3 months after unprotected sex to have a HIV test. It's easy to say but do your best to relax about it all.

Hugs
    Andrew
  • Options
    Aww good luck i hope the results are negative.

Im not entirely sure what does it mean to have HIV - its never been explained to me - someone said its not the end of the world but i dont know what it does..... :confused:

Jenni xx
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    jenni30 wrote:
    Aww good luck i hope the results are negative.

Im not entirely sure what does it mean to have HIV - its never been explained to me - someone said its not the end of the world but i dont know what it does..... :confused:

Jenni xx

Here's a link to TheSite's fact sheet on HIV
  • Options
    slightly off topic but when you go for an sti/d test, how long do you have to wait for the results?
  • Options
    Kink - I'm really sorry to hear about your situation and really hope that everything works out for you. I think you could potentially really benefit from talking to someone at the Samaritans - particularly as you say you feel you have no-one to turn to. I really admire you for having the courage to bring this situation to the boards.

Look after yourself ;)
  • Options
    slightly off topic but when you go for an sti/d test, how long do you have to wait for the results?

Here's what the Society of Sexual Health Advisers say:
    wrote:
    Sometimes it is possible to tell straight away the presence of some infections by direct observation and use of a microscope. Other things need to be sent off to a laboratory and may take several days for the results to become known. You may be asked to return for further tests at the end of a specified time period before a full diagnosis can be made. For example HIV and syphilis may takeup to 3 months after infection to show up on a blood test.

You can find more information here
  • Options
    kink wrote:
    In december I very stupidly slept with a stranger. I am fairly sure we used a condom, but I'm ashamed to say I was very drunk and cannot be totally sure. I went yesterday for a STD test, preliminary results showed no problems. But I am so terrified because I had an HIV test. When the nurse went through the riskiest ways to contract HIV, one of then was having sex with someone outside the UK. The man I slept with was foreign - I realise that this fact doesn't mean a lot but it has just put such fear in my heart. I don't get my results until next wednesday I getting increasingly physically and mentally sick with worry. I can't sleep, I keep crying and have been drinking heavily to try and forget my fears. I just don't know how I will cope until wednesday - there are many reasons as to why I should be fine, but what if I'm one of the unlucky ones?
    I appreciate no one can say anything which will make this situation better, I just have no one to turn to.

What country was he from? The foreign factor shouldn't necessarily be of particular worry if you're talking about a country such as france. It isn't as if the UK has a super-low STD rate in comparison much of the Europe - in fact, rates are fairly high.

Some foreign continents and countries do have serious problems though, especially africa & asia.

Good luck.
  • Options
    I went to a GUM clinic and they said they have the results within a week and will phone me with in 2 if they find anything. But no news is good news, they said.

With your docs I think you can just make an appointment in a about a week and get the results.
  • Options
    Depends. When I went, they only wanted to do a urine test, and they had the results straight away. They didn't want to do any swab or blood test, though; I assume they take longer.
  • Options
    can take upto 3 weeks apparantly! but then i guess they have to tell you the longest possible time it'll take.
  • Options
    Well technically the the longer you wait the more precise the results will be, you have to wait so long because it takes time for the body to produce antibodies to the HIV virus. I've had to do the same tests Im sure things will be find, trust me you wont make the same mistake again!