Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What's Better for your eyes? CRT or LCD Screen?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Any thoughts?

I've got a 19 inch monitor I can hook up to my 5 year old laptop and get 1024 by 768 with 16k colours and 85 Hz

of I can connect a 17 inch LCD with 24 bit colour and at 60 Hz

size wisw the CRT's screen is only actually half an inch bigger and it's a Sony trinitron, but lately my eyes have been feeling tired so wondering if a switch to an LCD would help?

Comments

• Options
    BTW for those of you that have switched from CRT to LCD, do you find you now sit closer to the screen (or simply bring the screen loser to your eyes?)
  • Options
    LCDs are a lot easier on the eyes I find.
  • Options
    lcds are just on, whereas crts flicker very rapidly so your eyes get tired and get confusded with the focus and stuff. i think.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    SED comes out soon, it'll be the best!
  • Options
    BTW for those of you that have switched from CRT to LCD, do you find you now sit closer to the screen (or simply bring the screen loser to your eyes?)

hmm i don't find i sit any closer than i did on CRT?

The refreshrate differences aren't really noticeable unless ure playing a game, and then u wont notice it unless ure actively trying to..
  • Options
    LCD, of course.
  • Options
    LCD.

Oh by the way 17" LCD gives a better picture image/res/def etc... than a 19"CRT. and 19LCD to a 21CRT and so on
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    SED comes out soon, it'll be the best!

I'd never even heard of SED but ..

According to this it should be the same sort of picture as a CRT just a lot flatter box

http://www.canon.com/technology/display/

If you can get a CRT quality picture into something as flat as that it should be excellent for the next generation of Televisions.
  • Options
    SED screens? I've not heard of that.

I thought that the next one up from LCD, will be OLED, not SED.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote:
    SED screens? I've not heard of that.

I thought that the next one up from LCD, will be OLED, not SED.

Damn there's new display technologies coming out all the time not heard of OLED's either

http://www.universaldisplay.com/tech.htm

BTW had my 17 inch Samsung 710N LCD Screen for a few days now and getting quite used to it.

I think it might be a case that the 19 inch Trintron CRT was better for grahics but text work like emails, word, etc I think might be better suited to the LCD.

Only thing I'm wondering is how much better it might look if it was equipted with a DVI socket and if I had a DVI output on my PC (which I don't)

I was wondering if the quality of VGA cable made much difference with the LCD, but it doesn't seem to.

It came with a very thin cable and I tried my own which is very thick, better shielded and has chockes on both end, but appears the same really.

I know good quality cables can make a huge difference on CRT's, had this problem years ago when the text on my old CRT appeared slightly blurred and had a ghost image and a quality cable sorted that out.
  • Options
    Theres lots of new concepts for new ways of displaying things, but I think we'll see a dominant one and one that just fades into nothing, like the Atari Jaguar (which I owned). Look at blue-ray and hd-dvd. They'll both have their pros and cons but ultimately I expect it will come down to the price. When VHS came out there was another medium which was better quality etc., but because it was more expensive nobody wanted it.