Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Antibiotics and alocohol

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why do they say not to drink while on most antibiotics? Along with all the warning stickers on the bottle the last one said do not drink while on these.

Comments

• Options
    I believe it's all about the rate in which the antibiotics are 'processed' in the body. I remember learning somewhere that alcohol affects this and possibly making them less effective.
  • Options
    Capacity wrote:
    I believe it's all about the rate in which the antibiotics are 'processed' in the body. I remember learning somewhere that alcohol affects this and possibly making them less effective.

I've heard that too, but from personal experience after a couple of beers when I'm on antibiotics I just feel rough and want a lie down. Not sure if that's universal though.
  • Options
    When I've drank alcohol on antibiotics before, it just made me really drunk really quickly and then I threw up. And I was super rough the next day. I've done it twice - and the same thing happened both time.
  • Options
    Alcohol will, depending on the type of antibiotic, either speed up it's break down and excretion, or slow the break down rate right down. Both of these instances mean the antibiotic is not adequately absorbed in the blood stream, therefore it cannot fight the infection properly :thumb:
  • Options
    there are 2 types of anti biotics that will make you sick if mixed with alcohol
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    there are 2 types of anti biotics that will make you sick if mixed with alcohol
    The only antibiotic that you're told not to touch a drop of alcohol with is Metronidazole because it can make you violently sick. The rest you can drink but in moderation.
  • Options
    "There is a generally held belief that alcohol should not be consumed while on a course of oral antibiotics. This advice is correct if a patient is taking metronidazole, cephamandole (may cause a disulfiram-like reaction), and possibly oral ketoconazole (may cause facial flushing). However there is no contraindication to the consumption of alcohol with other antibiotics."
  • Options
    The last two arent given out much. Metronidazole is quite common from the dentist.
  • Options
    The last two arent given out much. Metronidazole is quite common from the dentist.

Why is that? Just out of curiosity. I was given it just before Christmas and I was unknowingly allergic to it, or something in it. Brought me out in a really attractive rash :D
  • Options
    Dunno to be honest. I was given it when I had an absess and all the dentist scripts we get have it on. I'll ask my boss an get back to ya.
  • Options
    Metronidazole is the most effective antibiotic against the bacteria that causes teeth abcesses...and as that is the main reason dentists dish out antibiotics, metronidazole is generally their top choice, unles of course you're allergic! :razz:
  • Options
    Thanks all. I'm just on an antibiotic for a UTI and I just saw the label so of course I ignored it :p Only a glass of wine though I had with it, I'm sure thats not going to make much difference then I guess. Thanks again.
  • Options
    Basic-Instinct- you work in a pharmacy? i started 3 weeks ago as a dispenser.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    Basic-Instinct- you work in a pharmacy? i started 3 weeks ago as a dispenser.
    Yeah I'm a dispenser an have been for about 3 yrs. How you finding it? PM me if you want chick x
  • Options
    Metronidazole is the most effective antibiotic against the bacteria that causes teeth abcesses...and as that is the main reason dentists dish out antibiotics, metronidazole is generally their top choice, unles of course you're allergic! :razz:
    I got given this one last year for infected wisdom teeth. At first they gave me some other AB but it didn't clear up the infection so got put on this one. They told me that I would be violently ill if I ignored the advice not to drink alcohol.
  • Options
    Yeah its alright thanx Basic_Instinct. Im working in 2 pharmacies so getting used to both shops as well as everything else. Very daunting at first, thought id never know where anything was but its easy once you start putting orders away to remember where they all go and what the brand/generics are.
    Do you like it? Is something you want to do long term?