Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

P4/FSB/Memory overclocking

Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
Alrighty. I have an old P4 2.0ghz, as some of you may/may not know. :p Its the Willamet core. As a new PC arrives soon, I feel like o/cing it. So, I am setting the FSB up gradually from 100mhz upwards. Now, I set the RAM down from 133, to 100, same as the FSB. This is as I don't want to put the ram over 133, as I have killed a stick before by this method. Is it ok to underclock the ram downwards? Will it fuck it up?

More to the point, when will I know to start setting the core voltage up? All advice appreciated (unless its "omg dont overclock its dangerous and will void your warranty etc). The warranty is LONG dead.

So, all advice, tips, explanations appreciated. It's at 2.04 anyway now... fsb is 102... I plan to take it up as far as I can and still run stabley. It needs the power boost... It's ageing.

Comments

• Options
    Oh yes... it is possibly in any way to unlock the multiplier on this thing?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    google you lazy bastard
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    z01 wrote:
    google you lazy bastard
    Don't be so rude.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Oh yes... it is possibly in any way to unlock the multiplier on this thing?
    I had a quick google search and came across a page that said Northword multipliers couldnt be unlocked. Couldnt find anything on Willamette cores though :/

God it was easy 'back in the day' when you could just use a pencil to unlock an Athlon.
  • Options
    Rich-E wrote:
    I had a quick google search and came across a page that said Northword multipliers couldnt be unlocked. Couldnt find anything on Willamette cores though :/

God it was easy 'back in the day' when you could just use a pencil to unlock an Athlon.

some forms of overclocking are impossible now - the money grabbing bastards dont like people fine tuning their chips to their max it seems

can only change the multiplier to my knowledge,not the FSB as you could with older processor
  • Options
    Back in the day when you just moved jumpers :p

No luck multiplier wise.. i gues running underclocked ram is ok... should be logically.

Im at 2.10... im going to try upwards now.
  • Options
    Does your bios able you to run the memory on a divider? If so you should do that. If you have quality RAM then in most cases you get better performance running it at 1/1.

If you don't have the motherboard for it then don't bother, you will see minute results! What is your CPU by the way? I believe most of the old Bartons are locked...

Read this guide, it's for A64's but it's very useful. What I started with for my DFI board!

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20823
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Back in the day when you just moved jumpers :p
    Yeah that too :p
  • Options
    Never heard of that core before... If you run into any BSOD's then slowely up the voltage...

For overclocking it really pays to have a BIOS full of options... if you are limited here then so is the overclock! Also if you're RAM isn't upto the job then you start losing performance because you have to run a divider so the sticks run slower than the FSB speed...

So basically if you have great gear, go for it....(make sure you ready everything!)

If you don't... It's pretty pointless, you won't gain much if anything worthwhile, you might be straining those components further than they were designed for!
  • Options
    The BIOS seems good, I can adjust alot, so im running the RAM at the FSB, instead of 133. The FSB is 105 currently, steadily upping with no problems sofar.

Multiplier is locked, but if it wasn't, I could adjust it. Stupid Intel. Why? Surley it can't pay anymore? Let us play with your chips!