Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Am I actually allowed to do this?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
The Hwad of 6th form keeps telling us that we need 3 A Levels to get in uni, and I was wondering if I was able to do the following:
The week after next, I would've completed my Foundations of Advanced Maths course (this is roughly Higher Maths GCSE) and start the AS course straight after the exam is over - my next maths lessons anyway. This means that if I want to do A2 maths, I'd have to stay on until Year 14 to complete the course. My question is, am I able to stay on and complete this or not?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The Hwad of 6th form keeps telling us that we need 3 A Levels to get in uni
    the head of 6th form was talking out of his arse then.
    yes its true for some courses you do need a specified no. of points (grades) at a level to get onto a degree course. - but thats very generalised. you could get onto a degree course with 2 a levels or even just having experience in a particular field, etc.
    I'd have to stay on until Year 14 to complete the course. My question is, am I able to stay on and complete this or not?
    :confused: ~ why would you not be able to do so, if thats what you wanted to do?!
  • Options
    some places will only let you do 3 a-levels like at my college, apparently if i fail one of my as-levels i cant do any of the other at a2 even if i pass, because i dropped out last year if i dont get onto a2 this year it'll be time to look at alternatives to higher education
  • Options
    most high ranking universities will require you to have 3 A2's.

however, others wont :)

it's also rather dependant on the course you want to do, I would suggest you look into the subject you want to do at uni (if you know) and the entrance grades required for the universities you want to go to.

your head of 6th form is quite right in telling you you need 3 A2's as this will ensure you have the widest choice of universities to choose from! But like I said, not all uni's require 3 :)
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    most high ranking universities will require you to have 3 A2's.

however, others wont :)

it's also rather dependant on the course you want to do, I would suggest you look into the subject you want to do at uni (if you know) and the entrance grades required for the universities you want to go to.

your head of 6th form is quite right in telling you you need 3 A2's as this will ensure you have the widest choice of universities to choose from! But like I said, not all uni's require 3 :)

I am aware of this - after looking at the UCAS website to see what sorts of grades I'd need to get into uni...
  • Options
    id say it depends totally on your school, one of my friends completed 2 A-Levels but wanted to spend an extra year just doing one subject but she wasn't allowed so she had to go to college to do it.
    however, if you've already started the course at your school, and they've allowed to start it then im sure they'd let you stay on to finish it.
  • Options
    College is better than 6th form anyway...
  • Options

yeh

and you don't need traditioanl subjects to go to top unis but it does help especially if you're doing any science based course in the case of maths a level

i have heard of people doing engineering at oxford (which isn't that good in terms of uni/course matching) with vocational qualifications

people forget that some universities are better at certain courses, medicine at oxford is nothing compared to st. georges, and law at UEA is alright etc etc
  • Options

but for me 6th form is more practical for me - that is, I know the teachers and most of the students in 6th form anyway and don't have to get two buses there everyday...