Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Wierd problem

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For some unknown reason, neither firefox or ie have been able to open www.faceparty.com on my laptop, for a few days

Ive not altered any settings and ive checked that the browsers are allowing it etc. Ive been onto my router settings and although i dont know what im doing there appears to be nothing stopping it.

Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Options
    that is kinda odd, try emptying your cache & temporary internet files, that might help.

on FF it's tools "clear private data" then just tick the "cache" button, make sure the others are unticked :)
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    that is kinda odd, try emptying your cache & temporary internet files, that might help.

on FF it's tools "clear private data" then just tick the "cache" button, make sure the others are unticked :)

thanks for replying, yeh i forgot to say ive already cleared everything!

Im baffled by it!
  • Options
    Might be a routing issue with your ISP and faceparty. What ISP are you with?

Try loading a command prompt (start > run > "cmd") and typing:

nslookup www.faceparty.com

If it returns an IP address, then try

ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx replacing the x's with the numbers from the IP address

If you can do both of those, then you should be able to browse the internet, If the first one fails then it's a DNS issue which can be resolved by changing your DNS servers, If it's the second, then it either an issue with an IP address being cache'd in the DNS, not having been updated properly (unlikely) Or the route between your ISP and faceparty's servers are broken.
  • Options
    noog wrote:
    Might be a routing issue with your ISP and faceparty. What ISP are you with?

Try loading a command prompt (start > run > "cmd") and typing:

nslookup www.faceparty.com

If it returns an IP address, then try

ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx replacing the x's with the numbers from the IP address

If you can do both of those, then you should be able to browse the internet, If the first one fails then it's a DNS issue which can be resolved by changing your DNS servers, If it's the second, then it either an issue with an IP address being cache'd in the DNS, not having been updated properly (unlikely) Or the route between your ISP and faceparty's servers are broken.

Well the strange thing is i dont get how it can be anything at my end because i was using it fine the other day and nothings been changed :confused: can things just stop working by themselves?
    Im with NTL and ive never had problems getting onto it before!

As for all that DNS stuff u said, i have no idea what all that means but i'll try the ping thing thanks :thumb:
  • Options
    tried flushing the dns ?

start > run > command

then type 'ipconfig /flushdns
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    tried flushing the dns ?

start > run > command

then type 'ipconfig /flushdns

what does that do? whats a DNS? Well whatever it is ive done it and i still cant get onto faceparty. Other websites seem fine...

ETA: Noog, ive done that ping thing, it timed out 4 times and then it has ping statistics, does that mean it worked? I also did the nslookup thing and it worked
  • Options
    its clears the DNS cache

chances are somethings changed on their side and it hasnt worked its way through yet, sometimes takes a few days for ISP's to update

does it work on any other computers using the same connection ?

maybe someone managed to get your ip range banned, tried changing your ip?
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    its clears the DNS cache

chances are somethings changed on their side and it hasnt worked its way through yet, sometimes takes a few days for ISP's to update

does it work on any other computers using the same connection ?

maybe someone managed to get your ip range banned, tried changing your ip?

I cant try any other computers on the same connection unfortunatly.

This ip banning thing, who could do that? Do you mean at faceparty's end?

I also dont know how to change my ip
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    what does that do? whats a DNS? Well whatever it is ive done it and i still cant get onto faceparty. Other websites seem fine...

ETA: Noog, ive done that ping thing, it timed out 4 times and then it has ping statistics, does that mean it worked? I also did the nslookup thing and it worked

Because the ping timed out it means that you won't be able to get to faceparty just yet.

What ISP are you with?

What did the nslookup program produce as results?

Another poster mentioned changing your IP. Generally you can't really do this. You can try dropping your connection and reconnecting, but, as you've been trying for a few days, I guess that you will have done this anyway.

To make sure that it's not DNS, try opening a browser and typing http://212.187.198.140/ and seeing if that works.
  • Options
    maybe the reason firefox is barred from faceparty, is cause they dont want clever people diluting the masses of stupid people on there
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    maybe the reason firefox is barred from faceparty, is cause they dont want clever people diluting the masses of stupid people on there

its not just firefox :p ie and opera wont allow it either.

im also not stupid
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Because the ping timed out it means that you won't be able to get to faceparty just yet.

What ISP are you with?

What did the nslookup program produce as results?

Another poster mentioned changing your IP. Generally you can't really do this. You can try dropping your connection and reconnecting, but, as you've been trying for a few days, I guess that you will have done this anyway.

To make sure that it's not DNS, try opening a browser and typing http://212.187.198.140/ and seeing if that works.

Im with NTL

The nslookup results were;
    DNS request timed out, timeout was 2 seconds, non-authoritative answer

Ive tried disconnecting and reconnecting to the internet again, but no change

Ive typed that address (212.187.198.140) into ie and it "cannot find server"
  • Options
    Hmm. The direct request with the numbered address should work, which pretty much discounts a DNS problem (although that is wrong too.)

Check in IE - tools - Internet Options - Connections - LAN Settings make sure none of the boxes are ticked.

Then phone NTL. The first thing they will ask you to do is restart your computer, restart your modem, clear your browser cache, so you'll need to explain that you've done all that to get past the scripted response..
  • Options
    MrG wrote:

Strange how the 'clever' people would use the browser with officially the highest number of serious security vulnerabilities (including IE).

Suppose that leaves the stupid people with a secure browser like Opera.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Hmm. The direct request with the numbered address should work, which pretty much discounts a DNS problem (although that is wrong too.)

Check in IE - tools - Internet Options - Connections - LAN Settings make sure none of the boxes are ticked.

Then phone NTL. The first thing they will ask you to do is restart your computer, restart your modem, clear your browser cache, so you'll need to explain that you've done all that to get past the scripted response..

I unticked a box which was ticked in the LAN settings of ie and it still cant open the page.

Phoning up NTL is where the problems begin (i only have a mobile phone and cant afford to pay the bill)
    so i think maybe i will just leave it unless anyone has any more miracle ideas, its not disasterous that i cant get onto faceparty-just annoying and a mystery to me how i could get on it one day but not the next. Oh well

cheers for all help
  • Options
    Does NTL have caches on the web servers? Would be nice to find out if any other NTL users are having same problems.
  • Options
    I'm on NTL and have no problem getting though to faceparty. However, I can't ping them... I can, however, ping google.com and thesite.org successfully.

NTL always used to use transparent caching proxies, but I figure they'd be pretty useless for the most part these days. They'd only cache .htm or .html pages - .php pages are generated each time they are viewed, and are therefore very likely to change each time. Much of the web has moved to dynamic sites rather than static. Anyway, I digress...

It looks like a telephone call to NTL is required. Last time I called them, it was a freephone number - even on my mobile.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    I unticked a box which was ticked in the LAN settings of ie and it still cant open the page.

Phoning up NTL is where the problems begin (i only have a mobile phone and cant afford to pay the bill)
    so i think maybe i will just leave it unless anyone has any more miracle ideas, its not disasterous that i cant get onto faceparty-just annoying and a mystery to me how i could get on it one day but not the next. Oh well

cheers for all help

I doubt if NTL are the problem if every other website works

more likely a highjacked HOSTS file

The HOSTS file is a simple text file on your windows system that can stor locally the true address of domain names, your PC checks a dmain name there first and if not there it looks onthe web for the real address, you'r might have been hijacked.

try this

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
  • Options
    Well, im using my laptop on a different internet connection now, and it *is* allowing me to go on faceparty! Which means its not to do with any settings on my laptop!
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    Well, im using my laptop on a different internet connection now, and it *is* allowing me to go on faceparty! Which means its not to do with any settings on my laptop!

That pretty much determins that it is an NTL issue then. Unfortunately unless someone here happens to work for NTL tech support I don't think that there's much else we can do.

Maybe you can email them?
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    That pretty much determins that it is an NTL issue then. Unfortunately unless someone here happens to work for NTL tech support I don't think that there's much else we can do.

Maybe you can email them?

I think i will try emailing them, ive done that before with other companies and i ask if they can call me, bit cheeky but its them causing the problems so they should phone me