Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Starting a martial art

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone get any suggestions are which one I should learn? I want one that's practical for self defense in most situations and that's actually fun to learn.

So far, Capoeira, fits those qualities best. I dunno what you think, but I think the kung fu styles are a bit impractical for normal self-defense.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    Sport and Fitness, innit?

Kung Fu like Jet Li does isn't meant for self defence. It's just showy stuff based on 'forms'. Although you can no doubt find Kung Fu styles that teach you practical knowledge in the real world.

And I think Capoeira is somewhat similar. Lots of showy stuff, but I imagine it's great fun to learn.

I did Taekwondo for two years and I really enjoyed it. However, most clubs train for competition and sparring is completely different from fighting in self defence. You get speed from TKD but it's mostly kicks, very limited punching or throwing. You can go for better self defence martial arts.

Aikido I've heard some nice stuff about. Lots of throwing in that one. Useful when it comes to self defence.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Take up boxing. Probably the most physically demading of the lot, and also the involves real contact.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    thai boxing... nails init.
  • Options
    jitsu is supposed to be good for self defence.

it's damn hard work too
  • Options
    You gotta remember that self defense will not come straight away, it's gonna take practice and dedication and taking a fair few punches to the face and abdomen (and anywhere else too) but then at least you're getting fit. Even after a few months you may still be too awkward in the execution of techniques to be able to denfend yourself adequately. Practically everyone I know has done karate at some point in their life, for a few weeks anyway. It took me 7 years to get my black belt but the discipline may be too much for some people.
  • Options
    muay thai or boxing would probably be the best bet
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    muay thai or boxing would probably be the best bet

Ever see that film Ong Bak, it's got muay thai, fucking brilliant.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Ever see that film Ong Bak, it's got muay thai, fucking brilliant.
    Yeah that was great, knee to the face and the guy is down :thumb:
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote:
    Sport and Fitness, innit?

Kung Fu like Jet Li does isn't meant for self defence. It's just showy stuff based on 'forms'. Although you can no doubt find Kung Fu styles that teach you practical knowledge in the real world.

And I think Capoeira is somewhat similar. Lots of showy stuff, but I imagine it's great fun to learn.

I did Taekwondo for two years and I really enjoyed it. However, most clubs train for competition and sparring is completely different from fighting in self defence. You get speed from TKD but it's mostly kicks, very limited punching or throwing. You can go for better self defence martial arts

Aikido I've heard some nice stuff about. Lots of throwing in that one. Useful when it comes to self defence.

Akido? You must be joking?

'The art of fighting without fighting'