Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Rant: Shops

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just want to have a wee rant. Why is it when you go to a shop and buy something you pay and then you are kind of rushed away so they can serve the next person? This annoyes me becuase they never give you time to put your change back in your purse and then your purse back in your bag.

Sorry rant over now :banghead:

Comments

• Options
    I absolutely hate that too. I think a lot of shop staff are under pressure to serve a certain amount of people during their shift, but it still pisses me off, especially if i havent finished my packing, and someone elses shopping ends up next to mine cos they couldnt wait a moment for me to finish. Makes me feel like im in the way.
  • Options
    well, as a male its kind of annoying when you are behind a woman who takes forever to find her purse in her bag, find her money in her purse, put the change back in the purse, put the purse back in the back... seems to take an eternity, especially if im in a rush, on my lunch etc...

Having said that tho i would never rush anyone or put pressure on them because of this, and i think its extremely rude to, especially from staff in a shop, never experienced it myself as im usually putting the change in my pocket and then off.
  • Options
    Well in at least some supermarkets they are supposed to wait till you have cleared the checkout before they start serving the next customer, and I KNOW this because I've seen the printout saying so behind the till.

Which is ok until the person in front puts their change/card away, finishes packing their shopping at a snail's pace, decides to then rearrange it all, fishes about in their bag for their keys, makes a quick phonecall.... ok, maybe not but you get the picture.

Shopping can be a real pain in the arse.
  • Options
    I hate shopping in lidl cos the checkout people put the shopping through as fast as they possibly can and then start the next people's shopping when yours is still being packed so they all get mixed up and they sit there with a big smirk on their face :mad:
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    I hate shopping in lidl cos the checkout people put the shopping through as fast as they possibly can and then start the next people's shopping when yours is still being packed so they all get mixed up and they sit there with a big smirk on their face :mad:

At Lidl you're supposed to shove it all back into the trolley and then pack it at the counter thing opposite the checkouts.
  • Options
    i hate that aswell. especially as recently ive had more stuff in my bag as normal, and so i have to wrestle with the stuff to get it in, and the shop cashiers then lift the other person's clothes over my head to scan them :mad:
  • Options
    my supermarket packing trip is to a) arrange stuff on the conveyorbelt in the order you want to put it into your bags whilst your waiting to be served

b) leave any loose vegetables to the very last thing you put on - as these have to be weighed and priced rather than scanned which takes a little bit of time and gives you enough time to pack away the rest of your shopping.

c) when they tell you how much the owe smile at them say ok and carry on packing till you've finished and then pay.
  • Options
    well i work at tesco on the checkouts and sometimes even before my last customer has gone, the next one is shoving their clubcard in my face or saying 'hello' so don't always get given much choice in the matter!
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    my supermarket packing trip is to a) arrange stuff on the conveyorbelt in the order you want to put it into your bags whilst your waiting to be served

b) leave any loose vegetables to the very last thing you put on - as these have to be weighed and priced rather than scanned which takes a little bit of time and gives you enough time to pack away the rest of your shopping.

c) when they tell you how much the owe smile at them say ok and carry on packing till you've finished and then pay.

I soooo do this, I arrange my shopping how I want it to go onto the conveyor belt, which is how I want it to go into bags, which is how I want it to go back into my trolley- then into the boot so that... the bags come out of the car in a certain order, according to shelves in the kitchen... ANAL I know, but I also count steps and don't even get me started on what happens when I look at digital clocks... just wrong...
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    ANAL I know, but I also count steps
    I do that too :(
  • Options
    Me too, I don't know why I just do.
  • Options
    Ok, well I feel less freakish in telling you this- When I'm in a car, I tense my L butt check as I pass a L H side lampost and hold it clenched until I go past a R H side one. Butt-ox of steel!
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:

I work at Asda and we're not allowed to tell people how much the shopping is until they've finished packing. It can be a little awkward sometimes though just sitting there waiting for them to finish, you don't know where to look. And I always wanna help them by putting the last stuff in the bags but if they've already said no to help packing you can't do that.

But yeah I hate being rushed too, I try and make sure I never do it, unless the person is just taking the mick and being extra slow. (like a woman yesterday who was on her mobile phone...go awayyy!).
  • Options
    I always feel like it's the person behind who's rushing through, not the checkout operator/person on the till. Some customers are unbelievable, and with the rages I've seen them fly into if they have to wait a minimal amount of time, I'm not surprised shop assistants are trying to get through them ASAP.

It does make you feel a bit shit, and slow, though for sure...and it is far worse in supermarkets. I always start to panic-pack and end up putting six litres of milk on top of my squashables etc.
  • Options
    I work at Asda and we're not allowed to tell people how much the shopping is until they've finished packing. It can be a little awkward sometimes though just sitting there waiting for them to finish, you don't know where to look.

i was at asda yesterday and the man serving me told me how much before i had finished. I just ignored him and didnt pay until i had packed everything.

I just take my time, and leave when i am finished. I dont go slow, but i have as much right to be shopping as everyone else and im going to leave the checkout when im done, not walk away with money half in my wallet trying to push a trolley at the same time.
  • Options
    Eurgh, customers are horrible people. I've worked in shops before (although not supermarkets) and people just do not like waiting. They did some study on it and i think its 2mins people are willing to wait in a que before they start getting arsey. Grumpyness is usually directed at the staff as it is their fault that 20 people have come to the till at once, and the managment hasnt opened enough tills.. :rolleyes: Really hate some people. The people that talk to you like that though are usually posh twats who think that they are above the lowly shop worker and can talk to them how they please. They seem to often forget that a lot of people working in shops are in gap years and quite possibly are richer and more intellegant than them anyway...and a hell of a lot nicer...

Phew...feel better now, in a bad mood and that bitch made me feel better :D
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I agree.. once you'vep aid, it seems you are no longer a valued customer. :(