Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dealing with cold callers (phone)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you're registered with the Telephone Preference Service in order to not recieve unsolicited sales/marketing calls but you still get some, I found this which gives some handy advice on what to do, especiall in the "Ten things to say when you get a junk phone call" link.

Comments

• Options
    If you're registered with the Telephone Preference Service in order to not recieve unsolicited sales/marketing calls but you still get some, I found this which gives some handy advice on what to do, especiall in the "Ten things to say when you get a junk phone call" link.
    I assume this only applies to the UK right? Because if it doesn't that is totaly sweet.
  • Options
    Goodbye! phone down.
    thats how it goes in my house.
  • Options
    Goodbye! phone down.
    :lol: I usualy just interupt them and ask "hey, are you guys selling weed whackers by any chance?" and when they say no I just say "oh, you must have the wrong number then."
  • Options
    I assume this only applies to the UK right? Because if it doesn't that is totaly sweet.

Sorry, I didn't realise that people from outside the UK used this site - it's for us only.
  • Options
    I really need to get us put on the TPS. A couple of days ago i received 3 phonecalls within the space of about 3 hours from the same cold calling company.

" Hello is this Mr x. . hello my name is David and im calling on behalf of an authorised orange dealer " - " No thank you we're not interested " - " Oh but Mr x do you not use a mobile phone " - " well actually no we dont " - " oh ok sorry - hangs up "

The second call was similar to above except as soon as they said " authorised orange dealer i jumped in and said no thanks and that was as far as he got.

However the 3rd person cracked me up. It was a woman this time, same spiel about authorised orange dealer, at this point i interrupted her and said " look your the third person who has called here within a few hours, do you have a supervisor or similar who i can talk to to get you people to stop calling here " --- she then says " Oh ok " and hung up on me :lol:

and i havent heard from them since :D maybe they got the message!
  • Options
    Sorry, I didn't realise that people from outside the UK used this site - it's for us only.
    bloody immigrants ...
  • Options
    Goodbye! phone down.

Exactly.

Although i hate it when the phone rings and rings and everytime you answer it there is a kind of dial up noise in the background.

Fucking bloody phones!
  • Options
    bloody immigrants ...
    that's racist! ;)
  • Options
    I knew a guy who sold shit via phone. He kept the job for 3 months purely because he found the answers he got too amusing. Although you may think you're harassing the callers, most find it to be great. You can't bring them down ;)
  • Options
    BT used to call me up all the time.

"Hello, I'm calling from BT"

to which I would interrupt "Sorry, I don't have a phone"

and hang up.
  • Options
    I got a call from a company last night about new windows and doors. My usual response to these things are cut them off and say goodbye. Or to tell them that I already have windows and doors think you.

But last night I let this guy go on and on for about 15mins thinking that he had a sale until the last minute when I told him that I wasn't interested and never was and just wanted to know that he had just wasted 15mins of his life and mine.
  • Options
    addicted7 wrote:

to which I would interrupt "Sorry, I don't have a phone"

:lol::lol:
    that actually made me laugh out loud.
    I usually just politely say thanks for calling but im not interested, and then put the phone down before they can argue, but from now on im gonna use that one!
  • Options
    Usually I find the best way to deal with them is to listen to their entire sales pitch, feign interest when they tell you how good it is and ask as many questions as you can. When you get to the money shot and they ask for your details simply tell them you're not interested. They f'ing hate that :D
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Goodbye! phone down.

:yes:

Or just put the phone down on the side without hanging up and leave it their till their done.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I normal just say Thank but we are not intrested, goodbye. Or if they are selling windows doors etc, just tell them that it is either a council house or you are renting as they can only sell to the home owner.

Once I but the phone down so i could hear they where talking and went off and made a cup of tea, then i went sorry what was that you just said? I was just making some tea. Phone went dead.
  • Options
    I've got my "sorry, not interested" *hang up* spiel down perfectly, but I've been thrown off recently by those recorded voice messages telling me I've won a trip to the moon or something...they're going to drive me into a murderous rage one of these days. :mad:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I either try to sell them sometihng (A cat is always fun), speak to them in foreign languages, or just start a conversation, as it wastes the companies time. I have spoken for over an hour to one once :D.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Skive wrote:
    :yes:

Or just put the phone down on the side without hanging up and leave it their till their done.
    Yeah, that's what I do.

Though I might try Gerbil's idea, sounds nice. Or perhaps scare them somehow.
  • Options
    it annoys me how lots of companies have moved call centres to india etc and when they ring they give you a false english name like, "hi I'm David Beckham and want to sell you windows,"

Always makes me wonder about how they can even expect to be trusted when lieing in their opening statement :confused:
  • Options
    Robot_Alan wrote:
    it annoys me how lots of companies have moved call centres to india etc and when they ring they give you a false english name like, "hi I'm David Beckham and want to sell you windows,"

Always makes me wonder about how they can even expect to be trusted when lieing in their opening statement :confused:
    what realy pisses me off with people from bangla being on the other end of the phobe is ...giving them a welsh address.
    'oh no you can't be spelling it that way sir.'
    thats how it's spelt ok!
    'you cant be speeling it without vowels sahib'
    yes i fucking can cos this is wales!
    'no need to be loosing your temper good sir but you cannot be spelling it like this.'
    down goes the phone.

even worse ...i phone our electricity supplier and a robot asks me to speak the account number.
    i have a very deep voice ...it doesn't recognise what i'm saying ...i cross my legs tightly and attempt to speak in a higher pitch ...speak slower ...faster ...end up getting the wife to do it!
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    what realy pisses me off with people from bangla being on the other end of the phobe is ...giving them a welsh address.
    'oh no you can't be spelling it that way sir.'
    thats how it's spelt ok!
    'you cant be speeling it without vowels sahib'
    yes i fucking can cos this is wales!
    'no need to be loosing your temper good sir but you cannot be spelling it like this.'
    down goes the phone.

even worse ...i phone our electricity supplier and a robot asks me to speak the account number.
    i have a very deep voice ...it doesn't recognise what i'm saying ...i cross my legs tightly and attempt to speak in a higher pitch ...speak slower ...faster ...end up getting the wife to do it!
    :lol::lol:
  • Options
    Most of the time I ignore the house phone because I know it's probably someone selling something, but if I do answer it it's usually someone from India, at which point I just hang up because I can never understand them anyway. But if it's someone that actually knows the language and I can talk to, then i'll be polite and get rid of them
  • Options
    Two Words............
  • Options
    babylon wrote:
    Two Words............

dont you mean three, you gotta say please to begin with :p