Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

confused about sizes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i've recently been measured, i've found out i have a 25.5 inch waist and 35 inch hips. My chest is 32c if its relevent...
anyway, i dunno if my average size would be an 8 or a 10. What are the differences between the sizes? I tend to lean more towards an 8 in trousers because my bum doesn't fill 10s and they hang off my hips. Though in tops ive been anything from a 6 to a 12. So what are the general measurements for the 2 sizes?

Comments

• Options
    have the same problem with tops, in new look I'm a 10 or 14 if its a coat/jacket, in Next and Topshop I'm an 8. While in other shops I'm a 10.
  • Options
    i don't think there's such thing as an average, these days. when i was near enough your size, i was a 10 in some shops and an 8 in others. occasionally a 12 or a 6.

you learn which shops have little sizes and which have bigger ones, and now i can pick something up without even looking at the label and know by sight if it'll fit me or not.

according to next, who are fairly standard (wee bit big), an 8 is 33" chest, 25.5" waist, 34" hips, and a 10 is 34" chest, 27" waist, 36" hips, so you'd probably be about a size 9, if such a thing existed.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    i don't think there's such thing as an average, these days. when i was near enough your size, i was a 10 in some shops and an 8 in others. occasionally a 12 or a 6.

you learn which shops have little sizes and which have bigger ones, and now i can pick something up without even looking at the label and know by sight if it'll fit me or not.

according to next, who are fairly standard (wee bit big), an 8 is 33" chest, 25.5" waist, 34" hips, and a 10 is 34" chest, 27" waist, 36" hips, so you'd probably be about a size 9, if such a thing existed.
    yeah thats what i probably thought....me and one of my mates say i'd be a 9 and she'd be an 11 if they existed
  • Options
    you're pretty much my size, 32C, 26" waist and 35" hips. i find a size 8 is ok, 10 would be way too big. hmm that would mean i would be an 8 in next but their clothes are always way too big...i guess it depends on the shop
  • Options
    I wouldn't call Next average sizing (for some items anyway) tbh. Where I'm usually a 12 in trousers in most shops, my black Next combats are a size 8 and fit perfectly. Odd little world we live in.