Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What should I have done?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have just got back from uni and whilst i walked through the spar car park there was a fight going on between two guys (probably in late twenties early thirties). I soon realised by what was being said in between the swearing that one guy (we'll call him A) had reversed into another guy's (B) car. B was demanding money and really laying into A and threw him on the ground pretty hard. As I walked past A shouted at me to get help and phone the police but B told me not to dare to do anything. I didn't know whether dialling 999 was too extreme or not, A was being kicked in badly but then B had threatened me as well and I didn't want to get involved, although I wanted to help A. I went into the Spar shop and got the guy that works in there and told him that he might need to phone the police but I then walked away.

I know I can't turn back time and change what I did but just out of interest and in the small possibilty (and I hope it is a small possibility) that something like this happens again should I have dialled 999 or just the local police number (if i knew it) or any other suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    Personally i would have dialled 999, you neevr know how vicious an assult can get, and because i couldn't think of anything worse than if it was me being kicked in and i shouted to someone for help and they just walked off and left me.
  • Options
    deffo 999 if you ask me, if someone or yourself is in danger, always ring 999.
  • Options
    If you are actually witnessing a serious crime, I think you are entitled to phone 999 to report it.
  • Options
    at least you didnt just totally walk away and do nothing though. telling the guy in Spar was probably a good idea. although if someone had specifically asked me to call 999 and i could see they were in troube i think i would have done.
  • Options
    Yeah 999, that B guy sounded a little crazy
  • Options
    you should have:

1) got yourself somwhere safer (which you did)
    2) called the police

as you didn't the best thing you can do now is call the police anyway and tell them you witnessed the assault. That way if the bloke has been beaten to a pulp at least you will be able to describe to them who attacked him.
  • Options
    yeah dial 999 for sure.
  • Options
    Hmmm, thanks everyone. looking back I should have dialled 999 but i suppose I panicked in the heat of the moment. I shall ring the local police number and let them know what I saw, and pop down to the spar shop and see if the the guy that works there can tell me if the guy being beaten up was ok.