Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

london underground

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
i booked train tickets which include going through london (kings cross-waterloo) but do my train tickets actually include this bit of the journey? because on them it says *tube. so am i going to have to buy tube tickets when i get to kings cross?
and also, are there any overground trains that go between kings cross and waterloo?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    The should include the tube journey betwen this two stations only, they normally do.

But it will only be for the certain route between the two train stations.
  • Options
    However it is possible to go from London Brigde to Kings Cross by Thames link rail, which would mean you arrive at Kings Cross Thames Link, which is connected to Kings Cross station, via a walkway. Just like Waterloo and Wasterloo East.
  • Options
    thanks :) so do you think i'll just be able to show my ticket to the guys at the underground gate things and they'll let me through?
  • Options
    You should be able to, when are you going as you could check at your local ticket office first and if they say it does not there is always the thames link train which you could use.
  • Options
    Sunday. But im going somewhere else on Sat, so i'll check at one of the ticket offices then. Thanks :)
  • Options
    btw, can i go from kings cross thames link to waterloo east on a normal train then?
  • Options
    Yes you can, but you seem to have to change trains.
  • Options
    The quickest way on sunday seems to be down to london bridge then, then you will need to cross to platfrom 6 to chatch a Charring cross train gat off at Waterloo East (the first stop) and the all over to Waterloo main satation, it takes about two minutes. Just follow the signs.
  • Options
    Kings Cross Thameslink to London Bridge
    Outward Journey on Sun 15 Jan 2006
    Option
    Depart 09:55 09:55 10:25 10:55 11:25
    Arrive 10:22 10:10 10:40 11:10 11:40
    Duration 0:27 0:15 0:15 0:15 0:15

London Bridge to London Waterloo (East)
    Outward Journey on Sun 15 Jan 2006

Depart 10:04 10:10 10:12 10:21 10:24
    Arrive 10:08 10:14 10:16 10:25 10:28
    Duration 0:04 0:04 0:04 0:04 0:04
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Your journey across London is included, and if you have the credit card sized orange tickets your tickets should be programmed to open the barriers at Kings X and Waterloo tube stations only. If you do decided to go by Thameslink your tickets wouldn't operate the ticket barriers and to be honest you would more than likely have to explain your chosen route, which may or may not be a valid Cross-London route, paticularly with a change at London Bridge. I'll check the actual rules tommorow when I'm sober.
  • Options
    OK, here are the full rules:

If your ticket allows such interchange travel, then it is valid for travel on London Underground between any pair of the following list of stations as a transfer across London:
    Amersham
    Farringdon
    Queen's Park
    Baker Street
    Finsbury Park
    Richmond
    Balham
    Greenford
    Seven Sisters
    Bank
    Gunnersbury
    South Ruislip
    Barking
    Highbury & Islington
    Stratford
    Blackfriars
    Kensington Olympia
    Tottenham Hale
    Blackhorse Road
    Kentish Town
    Tower Hill
    Brixton
    King's Cross St. Pancras
    Upminster
    Cannon Street
    Liverpool Street
    Vauxhall
    Charing Cross
    London Bridge
    Victoria
    Ealing
    Broadway
    Marylebone
    Walthamstow (Central)
    Edgware Road
    Moorgate
    Waterloo
    Elephant & Castle
    New Cross
    West Ham
    Embankment
    New Cross Gate
    West Ruislip
    Euston
    Old Street
    Wimbledon
    Euston Square
    Paddington

Thameslink services may also be used for the transfer. You are not allowed to leave the Underground system at any point during the transfer (except as part of a valid interchange, as at Hammersmith).

It is worth noting that the journey between London Bridge and Waterloo East is by South Eastern and therefore a Cross London connection as suggested by little_one is NOTvalid. And you would be charged the fare between London Bridge and Waterloo which is £1.30.

Sorry if this is complex, but in essence its london underground or nothing. I'll re-explain if needs be.
  • Options
    Also thameslink trains are notoriously crap and always late - I think there is only one every half an hour from Kings X to London Bridge so if you missed it you'd have to wait half an hour for the next one - I think it might be even less on a sunday.

I'd get the tube to waterloo which will take you about 15 min max and be much less hastle - for the thames link option i'd leave at least an hour between your 2 trains and cross your fingers fervarently.

However if you really aginst getting on the tube - there aren't ticket barriers at waterloo east and you dont' need to show your ticket to change platforms at london bridge so i wouldnt' bother buying a ticket and feign ignorance and an understandable tube phobia if you come across any ticket barrier men.
  • Options
    cheers guys. i think i'll go for the tube option then. it's not that im against it as such, i'm just always paranoid im gonna get on the wrong one or something.

so, i wont have to pay for a tube ticket then, as it's included in my train ticket? and do i just show the guys at the barrier my train ticket? as i'm not going to be able to use the machines with my train ticket am i?
  • Options
    Like JsT Said you should get a credit card sized orange card. Thats for the underground. Thats what I got when I prebooked and alot of my mates have had that too. If not then im not certain what your situation is but buy the looks of it JsT has a fair idea. Might be worth asking him if you dont have a orange card.
  • Options
    If you have an orange credit card sized ticket, these are programmed to operate tube barriers at the stations. Without a orange credit card ticket, you would recieve a large grey airline-style ticket, which would have to be presented at ticket barriers, as they are too big for the machines. Either way if you have a problem you would be allowed through the manual barriers.

The recommended connection time between leaving Kings X and departing Waterloo should be at least 55 minutes to cover getting on the underground, travelling, leaving the underground and boarding your departing train.
  • Options
    ah yeah, ive just looked properly and thats what i do have. and i have an hour to get between the two. should be ok then. thanks for your help! :)
  • Options
    If your tickets have '†' on them, paticularly in the route section they are programmed for the barrier.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    If you have an orange credit card sized ticket, these are programmed to operate tube barriers at the stations. Without a orange credit card ticket, you would recieve a large grey airline-style ticket, which would have to be presented at ticket barriers, as they are too big for the machines. Either way if you have a problem you would be allowed through the manual barriers.

The recommended connection time between leaving Kings X and departing Waterloo should be at least 55 minutes to cover getting on the underground, travelling, leaving the underground and boarding your departing train.

ive made kings cross to euston, on foot in 7 mins from getting off the train to kings cross, to getting to euston, and then probly another 2 mins running through the station, and literally jumped on the train to hemel hempstead, and the doors shut

all because i knew it would take longer to go down the steps, into the underground, and then that assumes i get a tube straight away, then theres the get up the steps at the other end

im so glad im fit and wasnt carrying anything too heavy, i almost killed myself that day, was terribly sunny, didnt help that my train into kings-x was delayed by half an hour, giving the mere 10 minutes i thought was impossible

so i reckon i could, if stupid enough make waterloo in around 35 mins on foot
  • Options
    the thing is, it says it takes 15mins to get between kings cross and waterloo so an hour is enough time isnt it? with having to change trains and stuff?
  • Options
    Yeah, loads of time. Just be aware that Kings X underground station is still under refurbishment. You'll still be fine.
  • Options
    ok :) i think im worrying FAR too much about this, it's just i really need to get on the trains ive booked...