Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Not eating for over 36 hours

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I wasn't sure where to put this post but decided it's probably more health than anything else. My boyfriend has most likely got crohns disease which started about 10 months ago, but on monday (week today) he has to go to hospital again for more tests. One of these involves a camera going into his small intestines and bowel (won't go into any more details as it's not nice!) so his bowels have to be completely empty for this. He has been given laxatives to take two days before and the day before and he has been told not to eat anything between 10pm saturday night until after his appointment (his appointment is at 11:30am so guessing it'll be gone 1pm by the time he gets to eat anything). It says if he feels weak he can drink water with a little sugar in it but thats it. Normally he eats throughout the day and gets hungry quickly. Has anyone got any suggestions as to how he can get through without eating? We can't go out for the day to keep his mind off it because he'll be on the laxatives so need to be by the loo at all times. I'll make sure that I don't eat in front of him but it will be really hard for him. Suggestions would be appreciated xxx

Comments

• Options
    oh thats not a nice thing to have. i know someone with it, turns out for her its brought on when she eats wheat. now has a special diet and shes on the mend and looks a lot better. My advise would for him would be take the time off work, and Sleep for as much of it as possible. but that would still be hard.
  • Options
    Ive never heard of a 36 hr fast before an op. Nil by mouth from 10pm the night prior is normal, but 36 hours... thats hefty. Keep his mind off it any way you can.

All the best
  • Options
    Tricky, well like you said don't eat in front of him, is he allowed to drink tea etc or can he only have water.

When trying to lose weight lost of people have a glass of water before they eat as this makes you less hungry and also feeling hungry can be a sign that you are in fact thirsty. When cooking anything to eat make sure he can't smell what you are cooking, by closing doors and open a window in the kitchen or turn on an extractor fan.
  • Options
    my mum had had that, she found it difficult and i think she had to do it from 10am the day before.

I know if i dont eat for ages i feel sick so maybe some ginger to suck as that is ment to settle your stomach
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:
    oh thats not a nice thing to have. i know someone with it, turns out for her its brought on when she eats wheat. now has a special diet and shes on the mend and looks a lot better. My advise would for him would be take the time off work, and Sleep for as much of it as possible. but that would still be hard.

The doctors have tried cutting different things out of his diet (carbohydrates, wheat, dairy products, fruit and veg) but nothing seemed to work. He struggles to eat a full meal as it hurts his stomach but he gets hungry so eats little and often. Stress makes it worse and seeing as he has got exams and coursework this week and next its not good at the moment. I'm sure he won't mind the suggestion you made about him sleeping although it may be difficult. Thanks for that and hope your friend manages to keep her crohns at bay.
  • Options
    Mel-H, do you know how long it took when your mum had it done?

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will try keep him occupied - make him watch his box set of band of brothers or something!! and I shall make sure that myself and our other housemates don't eat in front of him or let any cooking smells waft into the rest of the house. He'll have to drink plenty of water but he's not keen on it. Does anyone know if he can add squash to it? Not sure about tea and coffee either. I'll get him to look at his instructions again when he's back from uni. Thanks everyone.
  • Options
    i had an endoscopy (camera going down your throat into stomach and small bowel) just before christmas, and am having a colonoscopy (camera up the arse into bowel) in ten days, and neither of those require such a long fast at my hospital.

for the endoscopy, they made me fast for about 12 hours, and the colonoscopy i've to take the laxatives the evening before, and not eat solid food from when i start them until after they're done with me, but clear drinks (inc. soup and some soft drinks) are allowed up to 4 hours before. especially since he will be losing a LOT of fluid, he's going to need to have something.

it seems a bit unecessary to make him fast for 2 days. i would be tempted to check.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    i had an endoscopy (camera going down your throat into stomach and small bowel) just before christmas, and am having a colonoscopy (camera up the arse into bowel) in ten days, and neither of those require such a long fast at my hospital.

for the endoscopy, they made me fast for about 12 hours, and the colonoscopy i've to take the laxatives the evening before, and not eat solid food from when i start them until after they're done with me, but clear drinks (inc. soup and some soft drinks) are allowed up to 4 hours before. especially since he will be losing a LOT of fluid, he's going to need to have something.

it seems a bit unecessary to make him fast for 2 days. i would be tempted to check.

Thanks for that, I will get him to check but I'm sure we both looked at it and it said that it is for that long. It is the one up the arse that he's having. He doesnt like soup but I'm sure he'll start to if he is allowed it. That will make both of us a bit happier if he can have squash and soup, but we'll check it again. he is a bit worried about the picolax laxatives he has to take as last time they did a colonoscopy he had to have this picolax and about 12 hours later he was put on a drip in hospital. His doctor has said to take it though even when he made sure he knew about last time. Hopefully it'll all be ok, but I will make sure he drinks plenty of water. Thanks and good luck with yours next week.
  • Options
    maybe he could ring the endoscopy department and say he's a bit worried about not being able to eat for so long, and about the picolax, and see what they advise? i've not been given picolax, i've got something called klean-prep (a similar deal, but from research it seems to work quicker? my leaflet says i should be cleaned out totally in about 4 hours. niiiiice).

like i said, it does seem like a long time, especially for someone whose bowels/general health isn't in such great shape. i know if i had to fast for that long i would start feeling really poorly.

it can't hurt to check, in any case.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    maybe he could ring the endoscopy department and say he's a bit worried about not being able to eat for so long, and about the picolax, and see what they advise? i've not been given picolax, i've got something called klean-prep (a similar deal, but from research it seems to work quicker? my leaflet says i should be cleaned out totally in about 4 hours. niiiiice).

like i said, it does seem like a long time, especially for someone whose bowels/general health isn't in such great shape. i know if i had to fast for that long i would start feeling really poorly.

it can't hurt to check, in any case.

well, we have checked out the leaflets and letters and says that it definately is that long to fast. He's allowed sugary drinks but no milky ones, he can suck barley sugars and drink clear soups. So that should help a little although he doesn't like soup at all but it's got to be better than nothing!

On the picolax side - he phoned his consultant, the department he's going to, and saw his GP this morning and they have all said to take it and he should be ok. That Klean prep stuff your on about sounds like might be a better choice but would ahve thought the doctors would have said about it. I'll get my boyfriend to mention it to the doctor if he can get another appointment to see him. Thanks for that. This picolax he's been given has to be taken at 8am and 2pm the day before but if the stuff you have been given works in four hours that would be much better, maybe he could get a lie in on sunday morning as well then!!

Thanks for all your help :thumb:
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    i've had an endoscopy n 2 colonoscopies in the past 2 years, each time been given picolax (not pleasant stuff), had to drink a hell of a lot too (this helps you to become more 'empty'). I only had to fast for 24 hours, which was very hard, and had drank so much water I was trying to be sick, but it did the job, and i now have a diagnosis- which after what i've been through- i'm happy to accept!

I'm not sure why it says for him to fast longer than you and others here have said but my boyfriend has checked it and the doctor has agreed. I'l make sure he drinks enough but not too much water then-thanks for that!

Glad that you have a diagnosis and your happy to accept it after all that. Take care
  • Options
    Eeeew, picolax...

Make sure he doesn't stray too far froma toilet ;)
  • Options
    Eeeew, picolax...

Make sure he doesn't stray too far froma toilet ;)

Lol!! He's had it before so prepared for what is going to happen! Bought some more andrex today (decided to spend the extra as its a bit softer to the rear!)!!! We have three toilets in our house (between four of us) so he's said that he has reserved the top floor one for the whole day! Bless him!
  • Options
    This picolax he's been given has to be taken at 8am and 2pm the day before but if the stuff you have been given works in four hours that would be much better, maybe he could get a lie in on sunday morning as well then!!

i don't know if better would be the right word to use, the deal with my stuff is that you start drinking the evening before and keep drinking the stuff until you're all flushed out.

quicker, possibly. just more poo, fast.

i think i've lost all my dignity over these last few weeks. the amount of people i have discussed my poo with :(
  • Options
    Mel-H, do you know how long it took when your mum had it done?

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will try keep him occupied - make him watch his box set of band of brothers or something!! and I shall make sure that myself and our other housemates don't eat in front of him or let any cooking smells waft into the rest of the house. He'll have to drink plenty of water but he's not keen on it. Does anyone know if he can add squash to it? Not sure about tea and coffee either. I'll get him to look at his instructions again when he's back from uni. Thanks everyone.

Can't he have flavoured water instead?
  • Options
    Can't he have flavoured water instead?

Yes, we have since read the leaflet and letter in more detail and it says water with a bit of sugar added, soft drinks or clear soup can be drunk. so i guess flavoured water and squash are ok.

Thanks