Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Renting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Me and my boyfriendare looking around some properties tomorrow to rent. I just wondered what kind of information I should ask for, so far I've got whats included in the house and about council tax. Any other ideas?

Also, what hidden nasties should I look for, I remember when at uni we were told to look for damp patches.

Comments

• Options
    If you have to get contents insurance. If you can do things like decorate with or without asking etc.
  • Options
    Make sure you find out about how much the deposit is, any holding fee they charge when you say you want the property. Ask the estate agent whether the landlord has bought the property as an investment or if they are just letting it out temporarily.
  • Options
    ask to test the shower! i always forget to do that and end up with crappy old shower that never gives hot water and the landlord refuses to fix. every time :grump:
  • Options
    ask for the following;

A copy of the certifcate for the Boiler and any gas items in the house (these should be checked by a corgie registared engineer every year without fail)
    Ask about building, and contents insurance
    When any electrical items was last tested (PAT tested)
    Check the running water
    Check for damp (i had a real big problem with this in the last flat i rented, but the landlord couldn't do a thing about it as it was down the management company that ran the block of flats)
    Check that the inventory matches what is in the building.
    Council Tax
    Ask who the gas and electric supplier is and if you are paying for it or the landlord, same for water supply.

er cant think of anymore at the moment but will post them if i do
  • Options
    Ooooh! I can't wait to do this when I move out in the next few months :D
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    ask to test the shower! i always forget to do that and end up with crappy old shower that never gives hot water and the landlord refuses to fix. every time :grump:

agreed, check the showers!!!
    im currently living with a dribble of an excuse for a shower at uni
  • Options
    KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    FYI there's loads of top advice here about renting. If the flat's in a shared block, I'd say ask about any costs that include cleaning communal areas/ building maintenance/ gardening etc. This can get pricey on top of paying council tax too... Good luck!
  • Options
    Make sure you can afford it! make out a monthly budgeting sheet including all the new outgoings associated with renting to work out how much you can afford for the month.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    agreed, check the showers!!!
    im currently living with a dribble of an excuse for a shower at uni

Poor you mines just like my power shower at home.
  • Options
    Little_one wrote:
    Poor you mines just like my power shower at home.

standing outside when its raining is more efficient than our shower! Am jelous of your power shower!
  • Options
    I have a feeling it because the halls are only about 4 years old, so everything is quiet modern.