Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Magistrate admits he doesn't know the law

Sorry, that should read "idiot JP attacks Home Detention Curfew provisions"

Story.

I'm fully in favour of HDC, where appropriate. For many low-level prisoners, HDC works so much better than keeping them inside, and is probably a better way of making them not do it again than keeping them inside would have been.

The scariest thing was the JP admitting he was clueless. JPs shouldn't be lawyers, and rightly so, but this astounds me. What worries me is that he'll now jail people longer, to avoid this.

Another reason why the courts should become professional, I suppose.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    Sorry, that should read "idiot JP attacks Home Detention Curfew provisions"

Story.

I'm fully in favour of HDC, where appropriate. For many low-level prisoners, HDC works so much better than keeping them inside, and is probably a better way of making them not do it again than keeping them inside would have been.

The scariest thing was the JP admitting he was clueless. JPs shouldn't be lawyers, and rightly so, but this astounds me. What worries me is that he'll now jail people longer, to avoid this.

Another reason why the courts should become professional, I suppose.

what do you mean more 'professional' - i'm not too clear on the court procedures
  • Options
    Who knows all the law?

No one. As you already know Kermit, it's all mutually contradictory bollocks designed so you can come to any conclusion at all that you want to achieve.

This is a great case for making the courts free market though.
  • Options
    what do you mean more 'professional' - i'm not too clear on the court procedures

Magistrates are effectively volunteers, assisted by a solicitor employed by the court.

An odd way to run a judicial system.
  • Options
    Technically (ive been in a Mock Magistraes Trial competition nationwide), they have an underhand that should advise a magistrate on the law and its penalties/degrees. why didnt this happen?
  • Options
    understanding the law is the clerk of the courts job.
  • Options
    I think the point here is that this particular magistrate gave the sentence provided by law and appropriate under the training they had received and the advice they were given by the clerk. This is separate from the provisions whereby those responsible for a prisoner and the execution of his sentence can release a prisoner in certain circumstances.

In effect, the magistrate is saying that he didn't know about these provisions for how a sentence is served and disagrees with them. Which isn't necessarily an appropriate statement for a judicial officer.