Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Self-harm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was thinking earlier tonight, about self-harm. And I realised I couldn't remember why I started to do it. I didn't know anyone else that did, not then, but I can't remember any kind of reasoning on my own that went along the lines of "if I hurt myself on the outside, it might not hurt as much on the inside" or anything like that, I just vaguely remember me picking up a knife and liking the distraction.

So I was wondering, if you that are experienced in these matters, wouldn't mind sharing if you can remember why you started, or what happened the first time you did.

Comments

• Options
    id never even though about it before i started, i'd never come across it in my life, not even read about it so i dont know why i thought it'd be good to do. Ive really no idea, it just happened.
    Id left a dinner knife on my window sill though and just started 'cutting' my wrist.(obviously it was blunt and so just made my skin red raw).
  • Options
    The first time I cut was when I was with a guy for over a year, and the relationship started to deteriorate. He openly began to flirt outrageously and come onto this girl (whilst still with me) and I found it unbearable. The first time I wanted to do it but didn't was in a violent relationship, which happened at the time of 2 deaths in my family, my brother going awol of drugs and drink and me finding myself caught between the screaming and shouting and finding myself incapable of coping. But I did, because the next boyfriend picked me up, I began to depend on him and it felt like he completed me...and that I was watching that being taken from me.

No one I knew cut. I felt pulsing in my wrists, I became very narrow minded in my thinking, and panicked. I needed to release the pressure, and because of the pulsing, I felt it most at my wrists, so I would cut...and everything would go away and leave me feeling in control and happy.

Scary times. I feel at home with the idea that I used to cut, that sometimes I still want to cut, that one day in the future I may return to cutting. On reflection, I've learnt a lot from it, found friends who I'd known for years, who were/had cutting and they seem more drawn to me. I also noticed other SH's more everyday.
  • Options
    I did it out of anger and frustration.
  • Options
    The first time I cut my self I used a comb, I was about 8 possibly a bit younger, and used it like a saw! I still have the scar to this day! My reason was I wanted to fit in!
  • Options
    Pink_Angel wrote:
    The first time I cut my self I used a comb, I was about 8 possibly a bit younger, and used it like a saw! I still have the scar to this day! My reason was I wanted to fit in!

Fit in like..with other 8 year olds? :eek:
  • Options
    I don't really know why I did. I was really nervous about ringing this guy I had a massive crush on (to the extent that over 3 years since I last properly saw him, the sight of him in the street still gives me butterflies), and I just sat there and scratched at my hand for ages. Then I kinda thought, hey, this feels pretty good, and kept doing it.

Oh memories :(.
  • Options
    I do it too, when im bored. I started because bad stuff was happening but wasnt the worst thing ever so i had to make it worse.

Now I just enjoy the rush. I used to just cut myself with knives, but then i found out about white spirit and cuts, it makes them sting and buzz nicely. I used to also bang my head on stuff or pass out on purpose and see what happened. I burned myself on a gas fire in front of my mum once, that was a mistake :(

Its hard to get out of it I think, just find stuff to do instead. I'm doing it less now.
  • Options
    It was on the day my mum got diagonosed with breast cancer, it was 1999 and I was 15 years old. I went into the bathroom and cut my wrist with a razor blade I think. I kept it hidden although it was difficult, I soon learnt that thighs are a much easier body part to hide so started cutting there instead.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    Fit in like..with other 8 year olds? :eek:
    Yeah they all had scars, from fallingover or whatever, they would show off about them! I felt like I didn't fit in because of that, weird I know! That was why I cut the first time, because I wanted to be like them, but through my teens it was because I think it was because I didn't feel accepted by anyone, I always felt like I was on the outside looking in! Frustration and self inflicted hate! So I guess although they are both in different contexts it was still about fitting in and being accepted.
  • Options
    It almost comes as a surprise that the thought of self-harming basically arrives spontaneously and individually...
  • Options
    18th December 2001 I was 15, my brother had been ill with M.E. for about 3 years, my parents turned all their efforts into trying to help him, and nothing would help him and I just started sinking. I felt nothing. So I picked up some scissors and cut my forearm. I've been doing it regularly ever since.

I know the date and stuff from my journals.

edited for mistakes
  • Options
    No one in my school cut themselves.

Must be a new fad. I bet most do it to look cool and rated!
  • Options

Clearly :rolleyes:.
  • Options

I spy with my little eye something beginning with B
  • Options
    Whatever, I don't give a shit.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Whatever, I don't give a shit.

Well, fuck off then.

I, funnily enough, didn't start in school because it was the latest "fad". In fact, I was so surprised to find that other people do it too. I thought I was all alone.

I started it when I was at uni. I was feeling very low about many different things and then a silly argument pushed me over the edge and that's when it started.
  • Options
    Well, fuck off then.

I'll take that under advisement.
    I, funnily enough, didn't start in school because it was the latest "fad". In fact, I was so surprised to find that other people do it too. I thought I was all alone.

So what?
    I started it when I was at uni. I was feeling very low about many different things and then a silly argument pushed me over the edge and that's when it started.

Oh boo hoo.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I'll take that under advisement.

So what?

Oh boo hoo.

:rolleyes:

Is that the best come back you can offer? Oh dear. Get some sort of life, dear.
  • Options

Is that the best come back you can offer?

I wasn't really trying.
    Oh dear. Get some sort of life, dear.

Life? THAT'S life!
    How the fuck does having scars from pain, depression etc make someone look 'cool and rated'???

The majority do it for that purpose, not because they're depressed.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    How do you know that no one in your school cut themselves??? Some people (like myself) didn't tell anyone, and didn't put scars on places where people would see, e.g. I had to do P.E. so wouldn't cut my lower legs.

How the fuck does having scars from pain, depression etc make someone look 'cool and rated'???
    Jus ignore him, he's the same little attention seeking child that was Emailing me before calling me a 'dyke'.

I think I was around eleven when I started to self-harm... I remember kids would do something called a "chicken scratch", but I didn't do it to be tough... I remember vivdly being thirteen and taking solvents and cutting quite a bit... I never realised I was ill, that there was anything wrong with me until I was fifteen and my brother ended up in Richmond House for his behaviour... Then they asked if he cut himself and sad it was serious, but noticed I had a few challenges to get over.

I think I did it to externalise inner pain and it worked, but it wasn't a long term solution.
  • Options

Is that the best come back you can offer? Oh dear. Get some sort of life, dear.
    Laura, darling, stop feeding the troll ;p.
  • Options
    Sob story, huh?
  • Options

looooooool! No wonder your posting shit, your a kid! I cannot believe you reckon you beat up a an old woman and all that crap when your just a skinny little 13 year old kid who speaks like someone with a lung full of helium lololol, your funny dude.
  • Options
    Yes, dude.
  • Options

Seriously monocrat, why don't you go and hang yourself?

You might actually be funny with a ten foot neck. I'd laugh, anyway.
  • Options
    Why did I first start cutting?

I'd been down for ages, I was feeling rage at myself and the world. I was picking at my skin for a while. Someone at school cut, which is probably what planted the idea in my head. ON my 18th birthday it all got too much, and I took a pair of scissors to my arm for a good hour. The pain felt good, and it felt great to cause so much destruction. It was really soothing to watch the blood pouring down my arm and chest, and it was good to know that I'd done that. I'd attacked myself, I'd defaced myself, and it was what I deserved.

Why did I stop cutting? I was at a party, had an argument with someone, and cutting didn't calm me down at all. I broke the cycle of cutting = soothing. I had just started therapy, and that made me stay stopped, but the reason why I stopped was because it stopped working. Therapy worked, cutting didn't.
  • Options
    i never even knew anything about it before i did it. it was over something really silly aswell. id had an arguemnt with my friend which really upset me, i was walking back from his crying my eyes out when i saw a piece of glass on the floor i picked it up and held it in my hand but i didnt use it. it felt really good though just holding it! i can still remember now, then i got home and saw my manicure scissors on the side and for some reason i just knew that i had to cut myself with them, didnt even think about it till after i had done it
  • Options
    I dont remember when or why I started, but I was about 15 or 16. A few girls in my year where self harming so I was aware that it was going on. The first time I vividly remember doing it was when I got really abdly rejected by someone so I cut to help the pain and thats when I really started to use it to cope. I never used to do it on a regular basis until I turned 19, then i had a new set of friends who where all bad influences (drink/drugs etc.) and I was quite badly depressed and I had nothing to stop me.

Stopping? I told one of my best friends when I was drunk and he went mad at me, but he was understanding as well. I slipped up a couple of times but the last time I did it was on 30th October last year. My friend still checks that I'm not doing it (he checked my arms for scars once when I'd only recently stopped, but we where both quite drunk at the time). I really feel that I dont need it to cope now, no matter how hard it gets.
  • Options
    Cant beleive how many people did it so young. 8?

Anybody else NOT start when they were a teenager/in school/uni?

I was 20 and settled into a full time job with a bf and living at home etc etc, a time probably more stable that being in school/uni.

Im almost 22 now and still do it but only now and again. Over time its just not the same anymore. The release and pleasure just isnt worth the hassel and embarrassment of the scars.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    Cant beleive how many people did it so young. 8?

Anybody else NOT start when they were a teenager/in school/uni?

I was 20 and settled into a full time job with a bf and living at home etc etc, a time probably more stable that being in school/uni.

Im almost 22 now and still do it but only now and again. Over time its just not the same anymore. The release and pleasure just isnt worth the hassel and embarrassment of the scars.

aye, I started when I just felt like my degree was going down the drain and I had very little motivation... again, made me feel in control of something I suppose. No blood, but enough to scar a bit.
    But after calming down a bit, a few weeks later it just made me feel like a pathetic looser, so I stopped. *sighs*

so I've really got to get my arse in gear this year! (being the last year of my current degree)