Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Road Tax

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a 'Ped'. I know its a shitty 50, and I drive it like one. I'm no poser, lets get that straight.

Right, my tax ran out on the 31/12/05 and I need some more. Is only £15 which is ok. My question is do I get 15 days to renew it after it expires, cuz ive been driving with an expired disc. I don't want a £1000 fine really.

Comments

• Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    im not 100%, but i am almost positive that when i called DVLA about mine last year she said id have an extra two weeks, but id give them a call just to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    Cheers, I'll call them tomorrow.
  • Options
    Lawton wrote:
    I have a 'Ped'. I know its a shitty 50, and I drive it like one. I'm no poser, lets get that straight.

Right, my tax ran out on the 31/12/05 and I need some more. Is only £15 which is ok. My question is do I get 15 days to renew it after it expires, cuz ive been driving with an expired disc. I don't want a £1000 fine really.

Well, get another disc then.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, it's sunday. Ok then, monday.
  • Options
    You have 14 days grace before a fine gets sent out, but you shouldnt be driving it or parking it on public roads, all you need is a friendly policeperson to come along and then you're fucked, pardon my french. Just get it, £15 quid isnt going to break the bank, be thankful it isnt £93 like I had to pay today and that's only for friggin 6 months :grump:
  • Options
    and you can do it on the internet so its easy enough!
  • Options
    You can get fined instantly, there is no grace contrary to what has been written here.

As it's only £15, you don't really have much of an excuse, do you?
  • Options
    You can get fined instantly, there is no grace contrary to what has been written here.
    I've had to phone the DVLA twice about the period of grace, the last time being last year, as it took a few extra days to get it through the test (so I could then get the disc).
    Both times I have been informed that I have 14 days grace before the automatic fine is issued.
  • Options
    the grace period is there incase you got your tax renewed on the day it expires and things take time to process etc, not that you have 14 days free
  • Options
    The 14-day grace period is a myth these days. You may not get fined by the DVLA instantly but you will be breaking the law and liable to a fine by using or parking the vehicle on public roads.

Personally, I renew my disc before the current one runs out...
  • Options
    The 14-day grace period is a myth these days. You may not get fined by the DVLA instantly but you will be breaking the law and liable to a fine by using or parking the vehicle on public roads.

Personally, I renew my disc before the current one runs out...

Well, exactly. It ain't brain surgery.

I don't think that there is any grace period. I think people are getting confused with the 14 day period that you have before the disc expires which is when you get sent your reminder to get the next one.

The DVLA website says
    Therefore failure to renew your car tax, within a month of expiry, can result in an automatic £80 penalty landing on your doormat. And, if you continue to drive without a valid tax disc you could be fined a minimum of £1,000.

So you *could* have up to a month before you will get your automatic fine, but it would depend on when they run the batch through the computer to generate them.
  • Options
    Mr_Wobble wrote:
    I've had to phone the DVLA twice about the period of grace, the last time being last year, as it took a few extra days to get it through the test (so I could then get the disc).
    Both times I have been informed that I have 14 days grace before the automatic fine is issued.

What you have there though is the salient word "automatic". This does not preclude the Police stopping you etc and they can (and probably would) fine you instantly.

Let's be honest people, it's isn't a surprise that you need to tax your vehicle. There is surely enough time to sort yourself out...
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote:
    and you can do it on the internet so its easy enough!

How can you do it on the net?

How do you show insurance details, etc?
  • Options
    You have one month to renew before an automatic fine is issued, that is what the grace period refers to.

If the police stop you without a valid tax disc on display, at any time, then you are liable for a fine of up to £1000. Quite often the police ignore it if it's just a few days, but they don't have to, and there is a very real risk they won't ignore it.
  • Options
    Same here, but ive lost my MOT and need to get in contact with the place I got the MOT done for replacement, but as so far they havent answered the phone once! Even though one time I rang up they were engaged. I havent received an automatic fine yet though so...
  • Options
    If the police stop you without a valid tax disc on display, at any time, then you are liable for a fine of up to £1000. Quite often the police ignore it if it's just a few days, but they don't have to, and there is a very real risk they won't ignore it.

If it's seen on the road they'll just steal it. The process at the moment is that a transporter thing drives up and down the streets looking for vehicles without discs and just drags them off the road. Your main problem isn't the police it's the money grabbing wankers who own the private company that's got the contract in your area.

Unless you've applied for first title of course. ;)