Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Earthquakes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi folks, the earthquake that took place in Greece (which is my country) about a couple hours ago made me wonder about what people feel regarding earthquakes.

I live in Athens where the quake was felt quite strong, actually it shook for about a minute so waiting patiently under my desk I had enough time to contemplate. Earthquakes can be really scary for some but for me they're just something that happens, you know.

The quake was actually in the sea. Quite far from most cities (where tall buildings present a real danger) and also quite deep into to bottom of the sea.

So how do you folks feel about earthquakes?

Comments

• Options
    well in the UK we dont get earthquakes so for me an earthquake would be really scary
  • Options
    Really? Sounds like no fun at all. I mean in a quake, a distant one in the sea that causes no damages, after the initial scare is over you get to go to the streets and everyone is out there, like it's a big party or something.

It also reminds of how fragile we and our belongings are (especially the latter) and that we should enjoy the little things in life and not worry too much about material posessions or they'll literally come crashing down on our empty little heads.
  • Options
    Yes, people are really materialistic nowadays.

My house caught fire two years ago. The insurance covered it all but it took a year to rebuild.

I was devastated.
  • Options
    Sugar wrote:
    well in the UK we dont get earthquakes so for me an earthquake would be really scary
    We do... I remember one when I was about 11... and another when I was sitting in the computer room drinkng rum and the room shook a wee bit and the camel ornament fell off the bookcase.
  • Options
    i remember one a few years ago when i was about 12, i was in bed and suddenly my bed started shaking then it was all over the news
  • Options
    We do... I remember one when I was about 11... and another when I was sitting in the computer room drinkng rum and the room shook a wee bit and the camel ornament fell off the bookcase.

really? i must have been under my rock again! i didnt know we got them here :confused:
  • Options
    Obviously a much rarer occasion than other places then.

In the '99 earthquake we had quite some damages.
    Quite a bucnh of people got killed under the concrete of their own houses.
    Actually most houses damaged in that earthquake were either pre-EQ-regulations or post-regs but they were not apartment blocks (which go under some control for complying with the regs) but rather houses built to order by people in the outer suburbs not following the regs in order to build a bigger house with the same money.

I find that extremely sad and degrading for our race. Such stupidity and blindness due to materialistic tendencies. Worse were those who built factories this way, thus trapping their employees under the rubble and debris of their workplace. After the damage they went bankrupt and did not pay those people some kind of compensation for the loss of their jobs, let alone the damage some suffered from the debris or the death of loved ones under the factory's concrete.