Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

special needs teaching

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
When I've finished the degree I'm doing I've decided I want to go into teaching (primary) so I've been looking at PGCE and SCITT courses.

Firstly, has anyone done the SCITT? is it harder to get into than PGCE courses? Which would people say is better?

Secondly, what I really want to do is special needs teaching. How do you get into doing this though? From what I can gather you have to get QTS and then take various courses while you're a teacher. Is that right? Are there no post graduate courses you can take to specifically enable you to teach in a special needs school?

Also, at the minute I go into a special needs school a couple of times a week to help out. I've done work experience in ordinary schools too but that was quite a while ago. Should I gain some more experience in ordinary schools too so i have more up to date experience?

Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Kat_B wrote:
    When I've finished the degree I'm doing I've decided I want to go into teaching (primary) so I've been looking at PGCE and SCITT courses.

Firstly, has anyone done the SCITT? is it harder to get into than PGCE courses? Which would people say is better?

I think that SCITT isn't as popular with people looking to go into teaching. I don't think as many schools employ student teachers doing SCITT as they do for the GTP. However, for more info, take a look on the TDA website and it will tell you all your options. It also has info on the PGCE and the GTP which are the main routes taken to get into teaching if you are a graduate.
    Secondly, what I really want to do is special needs teaching. How do you get into doing this though? From what I can gather you have to get QTS and then take various courses while you're a teacher. Is that right? Are there no post graduate courses you can take to specifically enable you to teach in a special needs school?

I think that you are right, but I am not 100% sure. A sure way to check is to see if you can go on such a course is to check out the GTTR website which has information on all the teacher training with QTS courses you can take in the UK. However, something tells me that you are correct and need to get your primary QTS and then train up afterwards.
    Also, at the minute I go into a special needs school a couple of times a week to help out. I've done work experience in ordinary schools too but that was quite a while ago. Should I gain some more experience in ordinary schools too so i have more up to date experience?

All experience is good. Get as much as you can in both ordinary and special schools. It all looks good on your CV and will stand you in good stead when applying.

Good luck with it all.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kat_B wrote:
    Secondly, what I really want to do is special needs teaching. How do you get into doing this though? From what I can gather you have to get QTS and then take various courses while you're a teacher. Is that right?
    you need to qualify yourself as a teacher first. :yes: