Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hair color... this requires strong mental imaging

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Now for about the past year or so I've been dying my hair http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/detail?prodid=326694 this color. However (mental imaging coming up) I have dark brown hair naturally so it obviously dosn't come out that color. Its got that kind of red look to it, but its still very natural and very brown, but red all the same. But I was thinking I wanted to try it a bit redder so I bought http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/detail?prodid=323915 this color. Do you think it will bring out the red a bit more? Do you think it will be alright? Opinions on it?

Comments

• Options
    the second dye is almost blondey

Its also gonna contain some bleach, i dont think it will come out a strong red like you want, but i think it would work if you used the second dye and then the first on top of that
  • Options
    I don't think it'll do much to be honest. If your hair's naturally dark and already dyed, I can't imagine a lighter colour having much effect even if it does contain peroxide/ammonia.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Oh god, I hope didn't know it contained peroxide or whatever and that it was a lightner. I just wanted a more red look instead of the brown/red :( Ah i'll be returning it tomorrow, thanks guys!
  • Options
    Dye it blonde, then put red on it. My friend (male, btw) wanted to be TinTin for a college thing, and dyed it blonde, then BRIGHT red and it was so amazingly bright! It's orange now, but I dunno how often you dye your hair. His hair is really dark brown naturally also.

It currently looks like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/chickenfranki/megaspedit.jpg
  • Options
    Dooon't bleach it. It roughs up your hair so bad. When I used to dye my hair myself I found that the best result came from using loads of different shades of red on my hair over a period of time. This might sound a bit crazy but it gave a nice result. Although this might damage your hair a tad. I think to get a brighter result you should get it dyed professionally as I think they use stronger hair-dyes than ones you can buy. Also with dark hair, a few red high-lights will really make a difference to your already red hair.
  • Options
    Well I guess it all boils down to the fact that I'm too lazy to drive my ass to the store to exchange it. Besides, If it turns out like crap I just wont color shampoo it and it will fade quickly. So I'm off to do it now. Wish me luck I guess :p
  • Options
    Good Luck!!! Hehe...

Ilora x
  • Options
    Well there is hardly any difference fom what I normally dye it. About 1/2 a shade lighter, but no more or less red. humph, i'll never get that bright red i'm looking for :p
  • Options
    Awww! I guess the only way to get the one shade you want is to start from scratch and have the colour mixed up by a colourist...
    That's what I plan to do when I eventually pluck up the courage to go Kate-Winslet-in-Titanic-red.... :hyper:

Ilora x
  • Options
    I used to get it colored professionally. The red never stayed. It stays longer with boxed color so thats what I do.
  • Options
    reds always tend to fade fast. the best way i found to keep them really vibrant was to use a permanent colour every 8 weeks or so, but in between use a semi-permanent in a really bright red. like this one:

01_1_b.JPG

fear not, it won't turn your hair fire engine red, it won't lighten your hair and it won't damage it. you'll just get a really nice red tone to it.
  • Options
    When I had red in my mohawk, I bleached it and then used a bright red dye. Bleaching first really works. It was red and black stripes ahhhh. Now its just white and black with my natural colour at the roots (about 1.5 inches ... i should do it again.)
  • Options
    ^^We're talking more of a natural red, rather than telephone box-red... But yeah, bleaching your hair first will always make the colour more vibrant...
    Though, I'd never bleach my hair :no: Causes too much damage...

Ilora x
  • Options
    ^^We're talking more of a natural red, rather than telephone box-red... But yeah, bleaching your hair first will always make the colour more vibrant...
    Though, I'd never bleach my hair :no: Causes too much damage...

Ilora x
    I second that.

When I was around 14 I started playing with bleach to get all sorts of bright colours on my hair. It ended up feeling like straw and eventually needed to be mostly cut off as it was completely unmanagable.
  • Options
    Haha Same here - I had the 'front bits' of my hair bleached blonde, and then dyed purple when I was around 13. It was a nice idea at the time, but not great in reality. I ended up with orangey bits of frizz.
    Never again!

Ilora x
  • Options
    I don't know why everyone is like 'ohh nooo bleach' all the time, if it was that horrific then there wouldn't be so many people walking around with blonde hair/hi-lights, my hairs fine, it's not hard to condition it nicely every time you wash your hair.

I used to have post box red bits in my hair, and because it's dyed blonde to start off with they would come out really vibrant, the only problem was when you washed it, the first few times it would kind of turn the rest of your hair light pink :p
    But if you do that over brown hair it wouldn't come out so bright, and you wouldn't need to bleach out the oranagey colour your left with when it fades as you can just keep on topping the dye up.

Orr you could try the loreal ferrier (sp!?) colours as they have quite a lot of vibrant reds and stuff, and when they fade just re-do your whole head every 6 weeks or so. Sorted :thumb:
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    I don't know why everyone is like 'ohh nooo bleach' all the time, if it was that horrific then there wouldn't be so many people walking around with blonde hair/hi-lights, my hairs fine, it's not hard to condition it nicely every time you wash your hair.

agreed. i had bleached (and then pinked) hair for ages and it was never in bad condition.

i just switched to a gentle shampoo and a really nourishing conditioner and it looked totally fine. add in a deep conditioner once a week and it was looking really nice.