Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Crushes on celebs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How would you react if your partner told you you can't watch certain things due because they know you think someone in it is good looking?
I know someone who is in this kind of relationship.He can't wait certain music vids and certain films cos his girlfriend knows he likes the look of them and she always goes on about other girls when they are out like questioning him if liked them or not.Obviously he says no.So I just wondered if this is a common thing as I find it strange that this goes on as could never imagine myself being like that.

Comments

• Options
    I have never experianced someone that is insacure about me having a crush on a celeb and my ex had a huge crush on uma thermen (sp??). it didnt bother me bacause it is fantacy and thats all.

if someone told me i couldnt watch t4 because steve jones was on it id laugh at them and tell them to stop being so insecure and get over it.

however my other half was constantly traveling the world to go to conventions or shouting their name out in bed or something i mite possibly get a tad upset
  • Options
    This is pretty silly... because it's not as though someone's ever gonna actually get with the celeb.

I'd die for a lot of rock stars (not actually) and my boyfriend knows I find them hott, but doesn't mind. He's really into Girls Aloud. And although I'm insanely jealous that he finds them so hot (I have problems with self-esteem) I know that it's not gonna happen. Besides, he's not -that- shallow.
  • Options
    That IS daft. Although I was going off my head at the lad though last night, cause he was going on and on about how he would love to garfunkle all of Girls Aloud cause of their stupid Girls Aloud: Home Truths programme on ITV2. :| Then he went on about how perfect they all are, and how their voices are all sexy. GAH.
  • Options
    !!!!
  • Options
    Charlie84 wrote:
    My boyfriend has a huge thing about Angelina Jolie and every time she comes on telly or he see's a picture of her he makes these stupid sexual noises to bug me

Yeah he did that too, he was like, thrusting his pelvis. :impissed:

So I went in a huff, and he made it up to me by turning it over to the Lacoste aftershave advert with the nake man. Yum.
  • Options
    Mr Scyther is annoyingly sensitive by nature so I have to hide the sexual noises with a loud hacking cough. Nah, I know he likes the look of Meluah-ho but he just digs the small brunettes with curly hair thing. Or so he tells me.

I love Colin Firth in P&P, but I tell him its only because he looks like him. (brown eyes+curly looks+brooding wee face=hot)

Maybe it's coz I'm a woman of science and understand humans are going to window shop from time to time. I would only get offended if he started going to tart-face's concerts just to perv.

This thread has got me grumpy now. :impissed:
  • Options
    I had never thought about this before until now, but all this ogling over celebs, to be honest its just the same as doing it to someone you see in the street. The celeb is still a person, and just because theres no chance of anything happening, how is it any different from any normal person on the street? I dont think its fantasy because theres every day people i see in the street that are as good looking, if not more good looking than celebs. Therefore people must ogle over them too!

meh, im probably not explaining myself very well. Doesnt apply to me anyway so i'll shut up
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    That IS daft. Although I was going off my head at the lad though last night, cause he was going on and on about how he would love to garfunkle all of Girls Aloud cause of their stupid Girls Aloud: Home Truths programme on ITV2. :| Then he went on about how perfect they all are, and how their voices are all sexy. GAH.

Tell him to take at look at them during the Pop Idol, or whatever it was, auditions, and he will realise they are actually not all they appear! Stylists, make-up artists and money do wonders for your average person!

(Do I sound bitter!)
  • Options
    My fella's huuuge crush is on Michelle Pfeiffer, so I normally just find myself commending him on his fabulous taste. ;) It doesn't ever occur to me to be jealous because it is never going to happen. :lol:

If he ever told me [in earnest] that I couldn't watch something because I fancied one of the people involved then I'd tell him to go and fuck himself. That's just daft.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    I had never thought about this before until now, but all this ogling over celebs, to be honest its just the same as doing it to someone you see in the street. The celeb is still a person, and just because theres no chance of anything happening, how is it any different from any normal person on the street? I dont think its fantasy because theres every day people i see in the street that are as good looking, if not more good looking than celebs. Therefore people must ogle over them too!

meh, im probably not explaining myself very well. Doesnt apply to me anyway so i'll shut up

Not really, cause your ogling over celebs is pretty much always done through the medium of TV/magazines. In real life it's a two way thing. If he smiled at a pretty girl, or otherwise made it obvious that he liked her, then I could understand you getting upset, since there's a chance that she would smile back at him, and it would be somewhat disrespectful for him to have this sort of interaction with another girl when he's seeing you. It's not that he doesn't stand a chance, so it doesn't matter (after all, that excuse wouldn't fly if he met said celebrity in a bar and tried to chat her up), it's that she's not actually in the room, she's actually a collection of pixels on a screen. I can kind of understand how it may make people feel inadequate or unattractive, but not actually threatened in te same way as if he was spending time with an attractive girl.
  • Options
    that is completely ludicrous. i'd probably just laugh and tell her to get a life
  • Options
    I'm glad to see that it isn't a common thing because it is ludicrous.
    I caqn see where you are coming from though Blah.I have had a long discussin about this with my fiance.I don't mind him saying someone is good looking or whatever.That's fine.
    But when we spoke about having celeb pics on the walls I would mind because celebs are normal people at the end of the day and if he had a pic of a girl off the street it would mean the same thing whereas I wouldnt go as far as not ltting them look at them.

Another thing I heard that was ludicrous was that his girlfriend evern goes as far as looking on the net and trying to find horrible pics of the celeb girl to try and put him off her.

There's just no way I could put up with that.
  • Options
    i went to the pictures to see a flim with robert downey jnr in it recently with my boyfriend, and i told him that i thought RDJ was a bit gorgeous. After the film he was all quiet and down, and it turned out it was because he thought that RDJ looked a lot like my ex husband - he did admit it was stupid but he couldnt help feeling weird about it.
  • Options
    CHEEKy wrote:
    I'm glad to see that it isn't a common thing because it is ludicrous.
    I caqn see where you are coming from though Blah.I have had a long discussin about this with my fiance.I don't mind him saying someone is good looking or whatever.That's fine.
    But when we spoke about having celeb pics on the walls I would mind because celebs are normal people at the end of the day and if he had a pic of a girl off the street it would mean the same thing whereas I wouldnt go as far as not ltting them look at them.

Another thing I heard that was ludicrous was that his girlfriend evern goes as far as looking on the net and trying to find horrible pics of the celeb girl to try and put him off her.

There's just no way I could put up with that.

i was referring to the way his girlfriend reacts to the situation more. sorry if i wasn't clear enough
  • Options
    it doesn't mean anything, crushes on celebs are more concerned with the qualities we like to see in them rather than what they are really like, which we will probably never know.

had a thing for Kiefer Sutherland for a very long time now, but my boyf doesn't mind because 24 is now the only actiony type thing that I will watch and not moan about.
  • Options
    haha i wish Avid Merrion was her boyfriend, that relationship just wouldnt last.
  • Options
    Yeah I've had this. Gets on your tits after a while. Usually person banning you from it oogles celebritys themselves. Always thought it a bit hypocritical.
  • Options
    I know...It's stupid.She has admitted that she fancies celebs her self and she says if she finds someone good looking but ifhe said something like that she's go quiet on him so now he can't really tell her the truth when she does ask him if he finds someone good looking which is stupid.
    I just don't get why it happens and how you can be so insecure.and in a way its self obsessed just wanting them to think you are the most gorgeous thing really.
  • Options
    sounds daft to me, like you partners gonna be out 1 night and a famous celeb is gonna come running up to them+propose/hump their leg/come onto them!
  • Options
    CHEEKy wrote:

Really? My girlfriend has celeb pictures on her walls (of people she has openly admitted to thinking are "gorgeous") but I know she would get the right hump if I said anything about other girls (non-celebs) being attractive, let alone have pictures of them!
  • Options
    It's quite sad really though, don't you think? Even though I agree it would drive me up the wall and all that if I were on the receiving end of that kind of insecurity, try to imagine what that person feels like. Something has happened to them to make them feel literally worthless. How much fun do you suppose it is to feel that way?

I'm not suggesting for a second that that kind of behaviour should be pandered to. Someone that insecure and jealous needs some help.
  • Options
    if mr sugar acted like that with me i wouldnt put up with it, its ridiculous to not want you to watch tv because the guy on there is good looking. we usually have a joke about stuff like that actually, its a kind of ongoing thing, il say things like 'dont disturb me im watching so and so on tv' he knows its just a joke, there are lots of good looking people in the world, you cant avoid everyone!
  • Options
    ahaha, I know my gf finds brad pitt attractive (well, who doesn't ;):p) but I'm not guna stop her watching things with him in, I'll just tease her about it.

however, I think if the tables were turned she'd probably just get insecure & sulky if I told that I found a movie star attractive, it's just not worth it :)
  • Options
    I had celeb pics on the wall. But I was 11 at the time. I also hung them in my locker at school. I think I would be creeped out at that purely for the fact that its tacky and very childish.

I think its very sad though, the original point of this thread. I did not watch Troy for the storyline. I didn't sit and watch phonebooth because watching a man for 2 hours in something that hardly exists anymore is actually amusing. And I'm sure we both saw Mr and Mrs Smith for the sex appeal. I could care less if he watches Shakira videos. Maybe he watches football for the cheerleaders and I do it for the tight pants. But its alright. Let him fantisize. Let me want. Because at the end of the day, neither of us are ever, ever going to even come close to getting the oppertunity to fucking one of them. Never.
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    ahaha, I know my gf finds brad pitt attractive (well, who doesn't ;):p) but I'm not guna stop her watching things with him in, I'll just tease her about it.

however, I think if the tables were turned she'd probably just get insecure & sulky if I told that I found a movie star attractive, it's just not worth it :)

Sounds like my girlfriend. I dare not say I actually find famous people attractive. Yet she says it all the time and I just deal with it, and if I didn't put up with it there would be hell to pay.

I hate these double standards! :impissed:
  • Options
    CHEEKy wrote:
    How would you react if your partner told you you can't watch certain things due because they know you think someone in it is good looking?
    I know someone who is in this kind of relationship.He can't wait certain music vids and certain films cos his girlfriend knows he likes the look of them and she always goes on about other girls when they are out like questioning him if liked them or not.Obviously he says no.

Welcome to my world. *sigh*