Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

national rail or thetrainline?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm trying to work out the times of trains for a journey I'm making next weekend but I'm confused. I've looked on nationalrail.co.uk and thetrainline.com but they're each coming up with different times. nationalrail.co.uk is saying I'm going to have to get a bus part of the way but thetrainline.com doesn't say this and gives me totally different times too. so, which is right? i thought both websites were linked...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Based on personaly experiance Iwould go for nationalrail.co.uk for the train times, but if you are looking to pre book tickets it is sometimes cheaper with thetrainline. As on nationalrail you can link up to live departure board for any train company and station, it really is like the transport for london website, but for trains.
  • Options
    I thought they were linked, too. I always use thetrainline though, just find it easier to navigate...for what it's worth, the journey times/descriptions given have always been accurate.

Sorry I can't be more help!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    National Rail is the company owned and run by the countries train operating companies. TheTrainline is a private ticket selling company but the information should be the same. If in doubt the National Rail site is more likely to be accurate.

What journey are you looking to make?
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    National Rail is the company owned and run by the countries train operating companies. TheTrainline is a private ticket selling company but the information should be the same. If in doubt the National Rail site is more likely to be accurate.

National rail gives some amusing results.
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    National rail gives some amusing results.
    It can do. In some cases it doesn't give results at all, for example it dies if you try to go from the top of Scotland (Thurso/Wick) to the bottom of England (Plymouth).

It's probably a poor second best to a ticket office.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    It can do. In some cases it doesn't give results at all, for example it dies if you try to go from the top of Scotland (Thurso/Wick) to the bottom of England (Plymouth).

It's probably a poor second best to a ticket office.

Yeah. I usually only do the Bradford-Leeds shuffle, which involves waiting at the station and hoping :p
  • Options
    i just use the gner website, sorts me out fine and dandy, as most of the trains i ever use are gner anyway
  • Options
    just went to the station in the end to book them :) ooh i have another qus actually.. but i'll start a new topic.
  • Options
    The station is normally the best bet if your not entirely sure what you want to be honest.