Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dont you just feel awful

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When you lose someone elses things? My girlfriend left her purse here the other day, and my mum threw it in the rubbish, and the binmen have been today, I mean any other day, it would have been fine - but it had to be bin day. Which is only once a fortnight! And if mum had thought, rather than the one off chance she didnt, she wouldnt have thrown it away. Yet once again, fate arranges a seemingly implausable sequence of events, each one as unlikely as the last, until ultimately the worse possible case occurs.

I feel so shit :(

Comments

• Options
    Don't think I've lost other people's stuff but definately broke or damaged other people's stuff.
  • Options
    Why would somebody throw a purse away with no questions? Its not one of those things you just toss.
  • Options
    It was in a mcdonalds bag you see!
  • Options
    It was in a mcdonalds bag you see!
    Very strange, why would you put a purse in a Mcdonalds bag? :p But good reason to accidently toss then. Hope there wasn't anything important in there like ID, money, CC and stuff!
  • Options
    Bank card, national insurance (social security) card, bus pass - all replacable but... its the principle. I feel a bit better now though, had a rant earlier lol.
  • Options
    but it was in a mcdonalds bag :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Be glad you didn't do it. I guess your girlfriend can't exactly be mad at your mum about it.
  • Options
    I still don't get why her purse was in the mcdonalds bag, I now sometimes when I have just paid I slip my purse in the bag until I have sat down somewhere to eat it. The I put my purse back in my handbag or shoulderbag.
  • Options
    you can only really blame your mum maliciously, for throwing the mcdonalds bag away, i mean how was she supposed to know or expect that the purse was in the mcdonalds bag, and before you say she chould hacve checked, i never check a mcdonalds bag before throwing it away

though in future i just might, just incase
  • Options
    How does a purse even fit into a Mcdonalds bag anyways? Wouldn't it be nasty to put it in there, with all the grease and stuff?
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    How does a purse even fit into a Mcdonalds bag anyways? Wouldn't it be nasty to put it in there, with all the grease and stuff?

A purse as in the actual wallet, rather than the bag that has all your bits and bobs in it (you Americans confuse me with your different terminology :p ).

I borrowed a jacket from a mate to wear on a night out and lost it in my drunken idiocy, whoops! Luckily she's a very forgiving (and rich) person :blush:
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    you can only really blame your mum maliciously, for throwing the mcdonalds bag away, i mean how was she supposed to know or expect that the purse was in the mcdonalds bag, and before you say she chould hacve checked, i never check a mcdonalds bag before throwing it away

though in future i just might, just incase
    :yes:

Mr. ShyBoy, I believe you need to apologise to your mum :p.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    A purse as in the actual wallet, rather than the bag that has all your bits and bobs in it (you Americans confuse me with your different terminology :p ).

I borrowed a jacket from a mate to wear on a night out and lost it in my drunken idiocy, whoops! Luckily she's a very forgiving (and rich) person :blush:

So a purse is the wallet thing, what do you call the purse/bag/whatever thing?
  • Options
    UK purse = US wallet (we normally only use wallet when talking about men)
    UK handbag = US purse.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    So a purse is the wallet thing, what do you call the purse/bag/whatever thing?

Little_one summed it all up, to be honest I wouldn't even call my (American) "purse" a handbag...it's just my bag. The confusion :crazyeyes ;)

I've never looked inside a McD's bag before binning it either, so your Mum is entirely blameless (aren't they always?). On the bright side, at least there wasn't a huge wad of cash in there or something...you'd be [even more] gutted!
  • Options
    your girlfriend shouldn't have left it at your house in the first place. :p
  • Options
    :crazyeyes

You, (and anybody else i guess too)
    How do you pronounce bag? long a or short a? I say it with long a but apperantly thats "a minnesota thing" :p everybody laughs at me here for it!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    my_name wrote:
    You, (and anybody else i guess too)
    How do you pronounce bag? long a or short a? I say it with long a but apperantly thats "a minnesota thing" :p everybody laughs at me here for it!
    This is surely a language thing, but I never understood the difference between "long" and "short" letters... They're all the same to me.
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    This is surely a language thing, but I never understood the difference between "long" and "short" letters... They're all the same to me.

tap - short a
    late - long a
    yellow - short 5, long o

The best way it was ever described to me was if thevowel sounds like the actual letter in the word, then its a "long" sound
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    my_name wrote:
    tap - short a
    late - long a
    yellow - short 5, long o

The best way it was ever described to me was if thevowel sounds like the actual letter in the word, then its a "long" sound
    Yes, but (unless I pronounce incorrectly these words too) when you say "tap" the 'a' corresponds to one sound, while in "tape" it has two, right? Neither of which is the same as the 'a' in "tap".
  • Options
    i pronounce it with a short a. so if you were to say hag, would you also use a long a? :chin: odd. must be the east coast accent

I say all of them with the long a. bag, hag, sag, tag, fag, slag. everybody in IL says it with the short a too though :(
  • Options
    My mum would so not throw away a purse if she found it.
  • Options
    My mum would so not throw away a purse if she found it.

Yes but that's the entire point, she didn't find it. She found a McDonalds bag, which is what she binned, inadvertently binning the purse with it.

Can't blame her for this one.
  • Options
    even if she found the purse, if i was cleaning up and found an old maccies bag with a purse in, i would assume it was meant for the bin.

even if i knew it wasn't, i might bin it anyway to teach its owner a lesson. i'm going to be a horrible mother.