Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Oh god this could be fun...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Bascially I have manage to pluck up the courage to have an important talk about contraception with my boyfreind, we have been going out for a year and have been having regular sex for about 6 months. I'm thinking of going on the pill or mini pill, may be even the jab.

At the moment we are using condoms, as I am not currently on the pill or some other kind of chemical contraception, this is main due to the fact that this is my first relationship and I did not see the need to use the pill etc. I have spent a lot of time researching the pro and cons of the diffrent forms of chemical contraception on various sites this one, fpa and netdoctor.

But due to work comitments over the weekend and the propsed tube strike (which is quite likely to happen), I'm unlikely to see him until next weekend which is our anniveristy.Well its not really something you can talk about over the phone and I'm not that keen to talk about it on our anniveristy, as I want it to be special.

Don't ask why we did not discuss this before, I suppose its due to that fact that when we first started sleeping together, my boyfriend just told me not to worry I have condoms and that was that. I'm thinking that in the long term it might be better if I going on pill or have the jab, as it will make my periods regular an it is considered to be slightly more effective then the condom.

Well thanks for taking the time to read my ramble. I'm not really sure what I am asking of you, but if you would like to ask me anything I will be happy to answer it. Have any of you been in a simular situation and have any advice for approaching the topic with your boyfriend, I think is what I am after from this post.

Comments

• Options
    sorry i fail to see why you're worried about this?

why do you want to go on the pill? is it with the intention of not using condoms (i.e. contraceptive reasons) or is it to do with your periods?

either way, it's your body and your choice. whether he still wants to carry on using condoms is upto him as well as you.

eta: i've been taking microgynon 30 since april and have had no problems. you could try doing a search (if you haven't done one already) on here about the forms of contraception.
  • Options
    Just tell him that you're comfortable enough to sleep with him, then you should be comfortable enough to discuss this.

I'd fully recommend the contraceptive patch. I was on the jab, and it does the wonderful thing of taking your periods away, however, it does put weight on you.

http://www.orthoevra.com/ <
    Patch website, I've used the patch for about 2 months now, nothing's bothered me apart from my nipples were tender and that was about it. :)
  • Options
    The patch does sound like a good idea for me as I'm always very busy, so having to take the pill at the same time everyday could be difficult. Whereas I would only have to change it once a week, which would be easier, thanks for the link.
  • Options
    I think I got a bit carried away with my ramble, in bullet points what I was try in ak/say was:

I'm considering going on the pill or another form of chemical contraception.

My periods are quiet regular, but they can vary by about 5 days (which can be a pain), so the pill would help this, as I know that I will have my period during the break.

I think it is only far that I should talk to my boyfriend about this decison, as he might be happy enough just to keep on using condoms, I am.

Even though we have never had any really problems with using the condom, the pill, patch and jab all seem to be slightly more effective then the condom.

Finally I was just a bit annoied that I found an email this morning from him saying that he has to work tomorrow, when we had planned to spend the day together in central London. But know he has been promoted and they are bring new people into his company I guess thats just going to happen at times.
  • Options
    I'm on microgynon 30 and its so easy - I take it when I get up that way it's always around the same time of day and i keep them next to my alarm clock so I know when i switch off my alarm its time to take them. I used to take them at lunch time and set an alarm on my phone to go off at the same time everyday but I was always in different places and found it difficult to take so changed to morning.

It is still recommended to use a condom as well as the pill. My boyfriend was happier once I was on the pill just for that added peace of mind. There is the possibilty of putting on weight, getting acne etc but I haven't had any problems. My periods are lighter and shorter, my skin is better, I haven't put on any weight apart from my boobs getting a bit bigger (a big bonus for me!) and I can control when I have my period so if I am going on holiday I can take two packs back to back and I can enjoy my holiday period free!!

I'd definately recommend it but everyone is different so talk to your GP to find what is best for you.

Hope that hepls, sorry to have rambled on so much!
  • Options
    No thank you littlemidgetsarah, that was very useful.
  • Options
    it depends on your reasons really, at the end of the day it's your body and u don't really have to talk to him about it at all if you intend to carry on using condoms anyway. i didn't, it only became something we talked about when we got to a point where using condoms wasn't an option anymore.
  • Options
    I used to take them at lunch time and set an alarm on my phone to go off at the same time everyday but I was always in different places and found it difficult to take so changed to morning.

you know when you change the time you took it, did you just start doing it at the start of a new pack? because i take mine at 9pm but it's a faff if i'm out so i want to change and take it in the morning.
  • Options
    thats what i did, for some reason i started taking mine at 6.30pm which was a stupid time to take it cos i was always busy doing something else then. so after my 7 day break i just started taking them in the morning instead.
  • Options
    and i take it you had no problems? i would mention it to the doctor next time i go but can't see when i'll next be going.
  • Options
    no, no problems at all. im not sure it says anything about it in the leaflet but im sure its ok to do that as you'll have had your 7 day break and you wont have been late taking your pill.
  • Options
    you know when you change the time you took it, did you just start doing it at the start of a new pack? because i take mine at 9pm but it's a faff if i'm out so i want to change and take it in the morning.

Yes I did it at the start of a new pack. Had no problems at all. Just meant that instead of coming on in the afternoon I came on in the morning.
  • Options
    ???
  • Options
    Charlie84 wrote:

If your close enough to have sex then should should be close enough to talk about sex!

Your right, i think we are close enough to talk about sex, as my boyfriend has seemed to have learnt my cycle. Yhe other month he said, I'm not going to get any on boxing day, as my cycle is normally about 26-27 days. I then had to sit there and think for a few seconds before replying you know your right.
  • Options
    I would suggest the pill or the patch, as if the injection reacts badly to you you are stuck with it for three months. I know one lass who spent three months basically having horrific PMT, which was oodles of fun for her.

It's up to you to choose contraception, but if you want to ditch condoms you make sure you both go and get tested for STIs.
  • Options
    I would just like to suggest the mirena coil.

Few people consider it yet it has so many benefits and advantages over other forms of contraception.

Once its fitted (which takes about 5 minutes) it stays put for 5 years, you dont have to remember to do anything.

Side effects are virtually non existant as hormones are not being pumped around your body, they are slowly being released into the endometrium only.

Also makes periods lighter and often makes them stop altogether ;)
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    I would just like to suggest the mirena coil.

I would have suggested that, but I don't think it would be good as a first time contraceptive device. The wife has one and its great, but it did hurt going in.

But I'm a man, I'm not the best person to say;)