Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Horiffically embaressing... dandruff

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For 2 weeks I couldn't get my feet wet. So when washing my hair I had to wash it i the bathtub, but not like showering... if this makes any sense. I did the whole upside down head under the water thing. Since this took alot of effort I only washed my hair every other day. About a week into it I noticed I was starting to get what looked like dandruff. At first I just thought I was doing a very bad job of washing the shampoo and conditioner out so I had somebody start helping me. It persisted. My dad suggested that because all the shampoo and such washing down the front instead of the back like usual, I was drying out my scalp alot. So I bought Head and Shoulders (a dandruff shampoo) and their conditioner.

For a week now I've been showering normally. I've still been using the H&S shampoo and conditioner every other day and I STILL have dandruff!!

Was it because I wasn't washing my hair every day? Is my scalp that dried out from having shampoo run down the front of my head? Any other reason? I've never had it before.

And how long until it goes away! I can't stand it. Its not alot, just I can see it when I stare and pick at it, which of course I'm gonna do as I know its there :p

Comments

• Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Somehow I misread the title as "Hopefully embarassing". :p

Well, I haven't known dandruff to be something that comes and goes, and I don't understand the logic of it depending on which way the water leaves your head... Sorry not to be any help. Good luck.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Zalbor wrote:
    Somehow I misread the title as "Hopefully embarassing". :p

Well, I haven't known dandruff to be something that comes and goes, and I don't understand the logic of it depending on which way the water leaves your head... Sorry not to be any help. Good luck.

I was just thinking because for that week I was just using a normal shampoo with no conditioning agents and that drys out my skin and I wasn't using conditioner either so having the shampoo wash down the front it dried it out and since the front is where I can see and where I part it. But thats all just a random guess anywyas.

You can't notice it when my hair dries, only when its wet, but its just so rank i feel dirty :(
    i would think it's still more likely to be shampoo residue as it is just in that part and only visable when your hair is wet...dandruff is more visable when it's dry.
    i would think it's still more likely to be shampoo residue as it is just in that part and only visable when your hair is wet...dandruff is more visable when it's dry.

How come it won't go away then? I spend an extra amount of time washing it out. I know I must get it all out. I use that anti-residue shampoo once a week, the stuff thats supposed to clean all your hair from the bulidup of your shampoo. Its always worked before. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?
    stop using the head and shoulders, it can actually cause dandruff and make it worse. Its too harsh

Use a gentle shampoo (baby shampoo will do) and dont rub your roots too much, and rinse for ages.
    does it itch at all?
    does it itch at all?

No. Which I thought it should, so that makes me wonder :p
    T gel helps.
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    T gel helps.

I don't like the smell :p

But thanks everyone. I'll try being more gentle with my head and hair and cut back on the H&S.

How long until it goes away would you think?

I normally use John Frieda's red shampoo and conditioner and Garnier Fructice long and strong shampoo and conditioner, switch off every couple days, is that gentle enough do you think?
    i wash my hair kneeling over the bath a lot of the time and it's never given me dandruff or anything!

is it maybe down to stress?
    I wash my hair kneeling over the bath aswell. Maybe your scalp is just over dry.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi my name,

The information about dandruff in this article from the embarrasing problems website seems useful. Info about getting rid of it is towards the bottom. It may be that you are actually washing your hair too often as dandruff is caused by high cell turnover.

I hope this helps :)
    90% of the time I wash my hair leaning over the bathtub, with the shower.
    I really don't think doing so can cause dandruff....

Ilora x
    Also I wash my hair every day and I don't have dandruff.
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    T gel helps.

Nizoral is much better. Though is quite expensive for the amount you get.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    Also I wash my hair every day and I don't have dandruff.

Yes - it can depend on hair type
    It could be to do with the weather, I tend to get dry skin when the central heating goes on inside and the weather gets colder outside, and in the past week or so I have noticed my skin and sclap go from normal to particularly dry presumably because of the cold snowy weather! So it could be this that is causing your scalp to be dryer than normal.
    different things seem to work for different people, you could try:

moisturising your scalp (with aloe vera gel or something)
    avoiding haircare products that contain sodium laureth sulphate/sulfate (this is a very harsh detergent used in shampoos etc.)
    rinsing your scalp with a diluted solution of cider vinegar can help (apparently...it probably smells a bit funny though)
    the T-Gel, Nizoral etc seems to work well for some people and not at all well for others.
    H&S can be quite harsh. Maybe try the ones for sensitive scalps? I have a sensitive scalp and i found that when i tried TRESemme it gave me awful dandruff. It's probably just not suitable, and if you dont usually wash it that often then its probably irritated too.
    I usually wash it twice a day. Oh how can you stand washing your hair not standing up in the shower! Its so annoying and difficult and grrr. But yes, I tried just using my normal shampoo and conditioner and I scrubbed much gentler and, well since its only been 2 days theres not that much difference yet, but its no worse! Thanks.
    my_name wrote:
    I usually wash it twice a day.

:crazyeyes

That makes me feel like a right tramp, haha. I'd guess that's your problem...it's supposedly not good to wash your hair too frequently (or not frequently enough, of course).
    But I've washed it that much for probably the last 10 years and its never been a problem before!
    my_name wrote:
    But I've washed it that much for probably the last 10 years and its never been a problem before!

Oh. Well then I've got no idea, you probably need to hydrate your scalp more or something...I've got nothin' ;)
    What can I say, I'm just a bit of a flake ;)
    Didn't anyone ever tell you, flakiness is next to godliness? :p
    briggi wrote:
    Didn't anyone ever tell you, flakiness is next to godliness? :p

Ill mail you some if you wish. though you're gonna have to spot me for the postage :p
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I used to get a bit of scurff and found it was due to shampoo.

Now I only ever wash my hair with hot water and it does the trick.
    Weekender Offender