Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

PCI Express Graphics Card

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Any recommendations on a good budget PCI Expess Graphics card?

I need it for my HP Proliant Server, mainly for being able to view my digital photos once turned into a slideshow as they play really slow in full screen mode, even though the machine is 3.2 GHz

But the built in graphic card is only 8MB ATi - although not sure why it isn't performing better??

There is only one PCI Slot (and I got a sound card in there) as there was none built in and everytihng else is PCI Express.

I don't intend to play any games on it just mainly photographic and video type stuff.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not sure why your built in graphics aren't doing better, but in terms of 2D performance you probably won't see an improvement.
    Are you sure thats your graphics card? How big are the files for the photos and how fragmented is your HDD?
    What's the model of the Proliant server you've got? As Mist said, you probably wouldn't see an improvement in 2D graphics if you upgraded from the onboard graphics card.
    Rich-E wrote:
    What's the model of the Proliant server you've got? As Mist said, you probably wouldn't see an improvement in 2D graphics if you upgraded from the onboard graphics card.

ML110 G2 - P4 3.2 GHz - lookign for more RAM as well only got 256MB, don'tt hink fragmentation is a problem, actually I might try downloading most recent ATI drivers, don't think I've changed from what comes detected with windows.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

BTW I got the PCI version of a 128MB GeFroce 6200 inthe box - not opened it yet cos I was planned to return it to PC World - got it for half price in the boxing day sales.

Is there likely to be much performance difference between a PCI and PCI Express card of the same spec?

Only reason I've not used that is my server only has a single PCI Slot which I'm currently using for a sound card and may replace with USB sound card and put my existing PCI TV Card inthere, got loads of PCI Express slots free, but as yet PCI Express cards for graphics are way more then AGP, and other things like PCI Express firwire, etc aren't too plentiful ATM.
    i had this problem with my gf's onboard card, she has a 64mg nvidia 2 ti and when installing windows the windows drivers are the newest, caused tons of problems and wouldn't let me use D3D or OpenGL or anything other than software graphics on games, microshit drivers are pish
    BTW I got the PCI version of a 128MB GeFroce 6200 inthe box - not opened it yet cos I was planned to return it to PC World - got it for half price in the boxing day sales.

Is there likely to be much performance difference between a PCI and PCI Express card of the same spec?

There would be no performance difference in 2D.