Home› General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Court

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The police want me to testify against a mate in court which I don't wanna do, how exactly can I get out of it?

Comments

• Options
    Depends what its for....Can you explain the circumstances a bit more Felix?
  • Options
    I don't think you can. If your called as witness (By either side) then I think by law you have to appear. But then I ain't no lawyer so could be wrong.
  • Options
    Lie?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Silverberg wrote:
    Lie?

What? And get done for perjury?

Not the best idea in the world tbh, particularly as the police already have the story.
  • Options
    It's an assault case. The cop who took the statement off me put on the bottom that I did not want to appear in court.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    You can't.

My mates and I were in charged for violent dissorder once. I pleaded guilty, they didn't. The CPS then wanted to use me as a prosecution witness against my mates. I tried every fuckign way to get out of it but they simply didn't give a fuck.

Thankfully a day before the trial they did some sort of deal and pleaded guilty to a lesser offence and got of lighter than I had.

:mad: They're cunts.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    :mad: They're cunts.

Sounds like they're not the only ones, either.
  • Options
    You can't get out of it im afraid.
  • Options
    Mac Sami wrote:
    Sounds like they're not the only ones, either.

And what's that supposed to mean?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    And what's that supposed to mean?

Please, don't worry yourself. My opinions mean nothing :thumb:
  • Options
    Mac Sami wrote:
    My opinions mean nothing

Well you're right there.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Hmmm, interesting. Gonna try n lie like fuck then if that don't work which it probably won't then boooo. CPS twats.
  • Options
    I don't think you can get out of it but good luck with it all.
  • Options
    The police want me to testify against a mate in court which I don't wanna do, how exactly can I get out of it?

You can't.

If you don't turn up, they will get a court warrant to make you attend. If you don't attend, then you will be prosecuted for contempt of court.

YOu can only get out of it if you're not needed as a witness, such as if the charges or dropped or they do a deal to a lesser offence with your mate.

We've done witness warrants as well, the defence have the same rights to them. No way out of them I'm afraid, not turning up on a warrant is very much illegal.
  • Options
    TBH, if your mate did it then why not fess up. Not much of a mate if he is happy to put you through this.

If he didn't do it then how can you testify against him?
  • Options
    TBH, if your mate did it then why not fess up. Not much of a mate if he is happy to put you through this.

If he didn't do it then how can you testify against him?

I'd agree.

Even more to the point, if he didn't do it you'd be happy to get him off. With the 1/3 reward for a guilty plea, he's daft not to.
  • Options
    You can't get out of it IMO, but if it states on your written statement that you don't want to appear then they might read that out in court as part of the prosecution instead.

Good luck anyhow, but don't lie you'll respect yourself so much more if you tell the truth!

xx
  • Options
    barwench wrote:
    they might read that out in court as part of the prosecution instead.

Statements are only read out if they are agreed by both prosecution and defence counsel.

And if they're calling him to court, they won't be agreed by the defence.
  • Options
    you shouldn't write statements in the first place ...when will people learn!

tell 'em you were under the influence of drugs so can't realy remember ...it is not an offence to be under the influence of drugs.
  • Options
    old hippy college tutor i had told me a story of statements, rollys right, you dont have to write f all. and if you do, make sure you leave no room onthe statement for them to add there own made up stuff.
  • Options
    old hippy college tutor i had told me a story of statements, rollys right, you dont have to write f all. and if you do, make sure you leave no room onthe statement for them to add there own made up stuff.
    if you realy must have to write a statement ...don't let a copper or anyone else with an interest in the situation do it for you.
    you just shouldn't make a statement anywy but ...if you do ...do it yourself for gods sake!
    REMINding me of my past now badboy ...
  • Options
    Yep that's the way, no co-operation with the old bill. ha.
  • Options

"I didn't see nuffin' your honour..."

Without knowing the details that's all i can suggest...

That could be difficult though if your pal's decked someone and 20 people have seen you standing right next to him.
  • Options
    Hmmm, interesting. Gonna try n lie like fuck then if that don't work which it probably won't then boooo. CPS twats.

Don't lie. That is the same as perjury so you will be done for that ... tell them you were drunk at the time and that you just can't remember anything ...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    You can't.

If you don't turn up, they will get a court warrant to make you attend. If you don't attend, then you will be prosecuted for contempt of court.

YOu can only get out of it if you're not needed as a witness, such as if the charges or dropped or they do a deal to a lesser offence with your mate.

We've done witness warrants as well, the defence have the same rights to them. No way out of them I'm afraid, not turning up on a warrant is very much illegal.

How about if I withdraw the statement?
  • Options
    No-one can force you to testify, I'm sure of it. I don't know about withdrawing your statement, but you can make up an excuse such as "if I testify I will be putting myself in the firing line for problems and don't want to put myself or my family in that situation."
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    Don't lie. That is the same as perjury so you will be done for that ... tell them you were drunk at the time and that you just can't remember anything ...

Would that not be lying too?
  • Options
    barwench wrote:
    , but don't lie you'll respect yourself so much more if you tell the truth!

xx
    and have a bloody good laugh if you pull the wool over their eyes.

if you were under the unfluence of drugs when yuou wrote the statement ...and people have since told you how wrong you were in the understanding of what realy happened ...