Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Australian Visas

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm thinking of travelling to Australia but am a bit confused by the whole visa thing - how much in advance of your trip should you apply? And are there any hidden costs?

Hope someone can help!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Australia uses electronic visas for holiday visits if you have a UK passport, and you can apply here at a cost of AUS$20. This allows you to stay in Australia for up to three months, and you may not work.

If you are aged between 18 and 30, and have no dependents, and are from the UK, you can apply for a Working Holiday Visa online here. The guide for this can be found here. This entitles you to stay in Australia for up to 12 months, and you may work on a temporary or casual basis during that time, but you may not stay in the same employment for more than three months. You have to show that you can initially support yourself, and you must have a return travel ticket or be able to show you have the means to buy one.

I would suggest leaving between three and six months before your date of intended travel in order to apply, as there will be a lot of applicants and there may be unforseen delays. Your travel agent will be happy to advise you.
  • Options
    Why go to a travel agent when lovely people like your good self can help me out! I thought it might be around 6 months, but just wanted to be sure.

Thanks for your help! x :)
  • Options
    I'd check with the Australian Consulate/Embassy if you are wanting to go for twelve months.

I think I'm right, but I don't need a visa as I have an Aussie passport:p
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I'd check with the Australian Consulate/Embassy if you are wanting to go for twelve months.

I think I'm right, but I don't need a visa as I have an Aussie passport:p

criminal :yum: