Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Decision Time...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm currently at University studying BSc IT & Management and I've just reached the end of the first semester in first year and I'm hating it, not too mention failing too. I changed my course at the end of last year from BEng Computing to the above because I failed that too due to the fact I hated the course and I spent most of my time playing sport and partying. All through school I wanted to study history but messed up my history Higher (A Level) so didn't get into the course I wanted.

Now confronted with the decision to keep going with the course I'm doing just now which I hate and hardly attend or drop out for effectively the second time and go to college or something and get the required grades to do what I originally wanted to do and hope that all goes well.

Just after some general advice and views from anyone who has done or thought of doing something similar, and the reaction from their parents/universities.

Cheers,

Paz
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Parry wrote:
    go to college or something and get the required grades to do what I originally wanted to do and hope that all goes well.

that sounds like the best plan. why are you doing something that you don't really want to do, anyway? you should stick to what you originally wanted to do, imo.

having said that, are you giving it 100%? first year is relatively easy to pass and who knows you might still pass this year. but would you want to carry it on into the 2nd and 3rd years?

why aren't you enjoying it? your modules will no doubt change next year so perhaps it'll get more enjoyable?
  • Options
    Just dived straight into Uni because it's what my folks expected me to do, took the only course I could get after messing up my history exam.

I'm not giving 100% because I'm not enjoying it, I'm not enjoying it because it's not what I want to do and my mind is always on the other course...orrible cycle.

Cheers,

Paz
  • Options
    Parry wrote:
    Just dived straight into Uni because it's what my folks expected me to do, took the only course I could get after messing up my history exam.

I'm not giving 100% because I'm not enjoying it, I'm not enjoying it because it's not what I want to do and my mind is always on the other course...orrible cycle.

Cheers,

Paz

But you should what you want to do, not what your folks want/expect you to do.
  • Options
    I'd go and get the required grades and do something you want to do rather than carry on with something you don't. Yes, it might disappoint your folks at first if you drop out, but if you explain to them why, and tell them what you are going to do then I'm sure they would probably understand :)
  • Options
    Parry wrote:

Cheers,

Paz