Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

why do parents get so attached

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
why is it that parents become so attached to boyfriends/girlfriends? would anyone have a relationship with somebody just becauce there parents wanted to them too?

Comments

• Options
    no
  • Options
    do you mean their son/daughters girlfriend/boyfriend?
  • Options
    No.
  • Options
    No and I don't think my parents would try to force to have a relationship with someone I did not like either. But it does help if your parents like your girlfriend/boyfriend.
  • Options
    i wondered in here from whos on line ...it makes little sense so i'll wonder out again ...bye.
  • Options
    Parents will get attached to people that they think like their children, and treat their children well. Mum considers my wife to be almost another daughter, for instance. It's natural.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Parents will get attached to people that they think like their children, and treat their children well. Mum considers my wife to be almost another daughter, for instance. It's natural.

if you split up with your wife though would you mum want you to get back with her?
  • Options
    Defo not!
  • Options
    vodka babe wrote:
    would anyone have a relationship with somebody just becauce there parents wanted to them too?

A relationship based on your parents? I wonder how that would work.

Only if I really liked them.

Only because your parents wanted to? Nah, not a chance in this world.
  • Options
    my mum always says she wants to set me up, as soon as she finds a sweet lad who she knows has a soft spot for me, i doomed!! She really gets on with my bf of 4 years though, but it doesnt stop he talkin about people and telling me they would make a nice bf.. i just reply saying im happy with the one i've got thankyou lol
  • Options
    vodka babe wrote:
    if you split up with your wife though would you mum want you to get back with her?

Depends on why we split.

If I cheated on the wife I'd have my mum to deal with first though:D
  • Options
    Message to Vodkababe.

Are you saying your family wanted you to go out with him ???
  • Options
    My mum and stepdad don't like my boyfriend just because he has hobbies that are quite old fashioned. It's sad that they are that immature that they can't see him for who he is and realise that he makes me happy so therefore they should be happy for me not trying to put me off him (which won't happen) and tell me I can never marry him etc. There was a guy that my mum wanted me to go out with and I really liked him so we started seeing each other but suddenly he turned into a complete jerk and just completely ignored me and I haven't heard from him since. His friend (who I had met this guy through) told me that he decided it wasn't going to work as we lived so far away but he didn't want to upset me so just ignored me instead - what an idiot! So coming back to the point I don't think much of my parents taste in guys anyway (my real dad likes my boyfriend though so thats ok).
  • Options
    My parents aren't absolutely crazy about my boyfriend, but it doesn't really make a difference, in the same way that I wouldn't go out with someone purely because my parents did like them. It's a tiny, and (for me) inconsequential detail...though if they despised him then it might be a bit different...

My mum is another one who constantly drops clangers into conversations how wonderful so-and-so's son/brother/milkman is, which I find utterly hilarious ;)
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    My mum is another one who constantly drops clangers into conversations how wonderful so-and-so's son/brother/milkman is, which I find utterly hilarious ;)

My nan is the same!! She keeps dropping hints about two lads she knows who are at cambridge and very wealthy - their dad donated a £million to Cambridge University, they used to pop over to lapland to see father christmas for the day and they have a swimming pool underneath what used to be their playroom!! Nan thinks one of them would be perfect for me but that's because she's a snob and wants to be able to tell people that "Sarah's going out with one of the lads from that family".
  • Options
    My rents love one of my ex-boyfriends. He pops around at random times to catch up on what we've both been up to. My mother adores him and compares every lad to him. she used to say we'd be together always. He was a prick who treated me like shit but had a lot of old fashioned values and manners which the normal lad doesn't seemt to possess and he is well adored. I still know he's a prick deep down. Ah...can't win!
  • Options
    im sure your mum and dad would love me
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    im sure your mum and dad would love me

:yes: Damn straight doggy :heart:
  • Options
    :yes: Damn straight doggy :heart:

you should arrange for me to be in exceter next time they visit :P
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    you should arrange for me to be in exceter next time they visit :P

They'd love it :thumb: :heart:
  • Options
    my in laws were devastated when me and my ex split. They were very supportive to me and were furious with him. I miss them more than i miss my ex tbh.
  • Options
    the reason i ask is because me and my bf split up a couple of weeks ago and my parents really liked him he ws part of the family. but because they keep goin on about whats happening in our relationship i just feel like getting back with him to make my parents happy.
  • Options
    My parents are like that too. They always are asking about him, always talking to him. They even take his side on things :p Not to mention their christmas card to us read "Ed and Amanda" my name should have been first :(