Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is Lennon still an icon to the young?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was asked this QUESTION today and couldn't really make my mind up to some extend I agree but the world moves on know what I mean?

I'd love to know peoples thoughts :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    No, and I always thought he was a pompus prick anyway.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Not for me. Other than that he was murdered and was part of a band named beetles who had the song "Imagine", the lyrics to which I've read, I don't know much about him.
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    Not for me. Other than that he was murdered and was part of a band named beetles who had the song "Imagine", the lyrics to which I've read, I don't know much about him.

Imagine was actually a solo effort by John, I never got the beatles, they're made out to be Gods but they aint that good.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    turlough wrote:
    Imagine was actually a solo effort by John, I never got the beatles, they're made out to be Gods but they aint that good.
    Ah ok. Then that's all I know about him. Oh, and I think he was married to a woman from Japan; though that has nothing to do with whether he's an idol, except maybe that it proves he wasn't racist.
  • Options
    Yeh, Yoko Ono is her name I think, for an idol like lennon he could have done a lot better.

Yea he was hippy and all that but I just found him not to be too endearing.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

I like Strawberry Fields a lot and some of their psychedelic stuff (lucy in the sky with diamonds is an excellent one for tripping) but you're right, they're nothing to wank about.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    No, and I always thought he was a pompus prick anyway.

:thumb:
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    bluetooth wrote:
    I was asked this QUESTION today and couldn't really make my mind up to some extend I agree but the world moves on know what I mean?

I'd love to know peoples thoughts :thumb:

You might be interested to see the result of our poll from December (It's second from the bottom)
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    You might be interested to see the result of our poll from December (It's second from the bottom)

Cheers never spotted that :thumb:
  • Options
    the beatles music is bare boned pop ...no meat.

but ...at the time it was new and very uplifting for me as a ten year old.

little kids and grannies alike all got hooked on the simple lyrics and great new pop sound.
    and it was new.
    very clever engineering and synthesis by george martin ...80 today.
    the public had never heard of synthesisers ...but george put some very clever stuff in their ...the finnished sound ...the production ...was new to the ears.

as a pop band their stuff still stands up.

very creative and talented bunch of scousers ...now THATS rare!

...all we are saying is give peace a chance ...
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I never got the beatles, they're made out to be Gods but they aint that good.
    For once I agree with turlough...
  • Options
    He's not an icon to me. Never known much about him. He's just one of those names floating around that you know, but aren't 110% sure of why you do.
  • Options
    the hysteria the beatles caused ...mass hysteria ...has as far as i know never been equalled.
    that tells you how big an effect they had.

the times ...the fifties were a time of recovering from shortages ...the world was war weary and grey.

radio one hadn't been invented.
    to listen to dylan and even british pop and rock bands ...you had to tune into crackly pirate stations ...in mono ...cos stereo didn't exist.

all of a sudden everything went plentiful and multicoloured.
    the beatles appealed to more or less the entire population of the planet!

i don't listen to them much but ...the white album shows their many and varied talents.

the sounds on this album were quite outragous at the time and i suspect their are few bands who would attempt such variety of styles on one album today.
    outragous cos ...they broke all the rules ...from jazz to rock to ballads to hillbilly to nineteen twenties swing ...all on one album ...and remember ...they wrote the music ...they wrote the lyrics ...and they played them.
    they were without a doubt very talented.
    but ...it became almost impossible to play live ...cos of the genious engineer in the backgrond ...george martin ...eighty years old today.
  • Options
    Save the White album, I don't have any Beatle's records. The production on them annoys me. However, they were the single most influential band in pop/rock history.

It's the chord changes. They went from Chuck Berry-esque three chord turn arounds to b5 substitutions, harmonised scales, major to minor jumps, they took jazz progressions and married them to cheery pop. This was wild stuff and broke boundaries.

Most if not all songwriters have pinched Beatle's chord progressions.

"Their chords were outrageous......simply outrageous. I knew they were pointing the direction music had to go. In my head, The Beatles were it." - Bob Dylan.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    The production on them annoys me. .
    now yes ...sounds a bit flat and vacant.
    then ...it was wow!
  • Options
    now yes ...sounds a bit flat and vacant.
    then ...it was wow!

I can imagine. Jesus, they were inventing it all as they went along. Stuff like Eric Clapton's solo on While my Guitar Gently Weeps. First proper use of flanging.

But they sound so.......under powered now. I mean, if you compare it to Are You Experienced, Disraeli Gears and Truth by the Jeff Beck group, they were released the year before (I think) and still sound good. It's a shame.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    I can imagine. Jesus, they were inventing it all as they went along. Stuff like Eric Clapton's solo on While my Guitar Gently Weeps. First proper use of flanging.

But they sound so.......under powered now. I mean, if you compare it to Are You Experienced, Disraeli Gears and Truth by the Jeff Beck group, they were released the year before (I think) and still sound good. It's a shame.

ahhh just so obviously a geetar man ...it's predud pred ...4 cans later i cant spell the word ...it's clouding your vir=ew ...cos your soul is searching out those geetar vibes! :thumb:
  • Options
    ahhh just so obviously a geetar man ...it's predud pred ...4 cans later i cant spell the word ...it's clouding your vir=ew ...cos your soul is searching out those geetar vibes! :thumb:

You got me :D

I really want to like the Beatles because the music is so strong but the records annoy me. I love hearing Beatles songs covered, I just can't listen to the originals.
  • Options
    The Beatles are probably the best pop group in history. Without them, so many strands of music wouldn't have come about, and that cannot be denied. The only other person with such an impact was Elvis.

The music isn't dated if you listen to it for what it is. Great pop. And with the White Album they proved just how varied their talents were, and Sgt Pepper's was revolutionary when it came out.

The only Beatles cover better than the original is Joe Cocker's version of With A Little Help From My Friends.

I think Lennon's message is still what it's all about, but his memory has become that of a tired old hippy. It's a shame.

I blame Yoko Ono, the second he was dead she flogged the family silver, and is still cashing in on him now. His music, owned by Michael Jackson. The stories he wrote, all owned by a baby food conglomerate. She has single-handedly destroyed his name.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

I think Lennon's message is still what it's all about, but his memory has become that of a tired old hippy. It's a shame.

QUOTE]

Agreed! I think the lyrics of imagine in particular are still relevant in todays world perhaps even more so than before IMO.

X
  • Options
    oops didnt do that quote think right! Ah well I am a wench after all...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The only Beatles cover better than the original is Joe Cocker's version of With A Little Help From My Friends.

See, I think that's the single worst cover version ever. Except Celine Dion destroying AC/DC's Shook Me All Night Long, naturally. But then, I just don't like Joe Cocker.......

I have stunning bootlegs of Gov't Mule covering Helter Skelter and She Said, She Said. I have one of Paul Gilbert and Shawn Lane covering Let it Be, which is just incredible.

Horses for courses.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I love the Beatles... I don't see why John Lennon was pompous.

Wasn't he a Buddhist? Or took his inspiration from there.

The lyrics "jai guru dev(a) om" are Sanskrit and hints towards an Eastern religion. Imagine also sounds very Buddhist.

To me what Lennon was about was creating activism with art... It's a shame he never changed the world.