Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Honour in the Media

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is there any media, i.e. TV Station, Newspaper, website, etc that actually believes in printing the truth these days and actually checking the facts and giving a true and balanced view of any given situation?

I hate it when the media misreport things but never thought I'd actually be touched by it until New Years Eve, when all the headlines and all the websites said there was not going to be any tubes running.

So a few friends of mine cancelled and didn't come, etc and in the end it turned out there were running just fine... just at a reduced level and with 39 or so stations closed.

Reports of 200,000 people in London on NYE is nothing compared to a normal year I'm sure - pubs and clubs were seriously empty.

Now I see all the newspapers runnign stories of the surviving miners in the USA which actually died. And then there was the Brazilian guy who was shot in London by the police and all the reports that first came out were totally wrong from the truth... does anyone ever bother to check the facts anymore? before rushing to print?

Comments

• Options
    with the miners thing, they heard an incorrect and strayed piece of informastion from the command centre of the rescue operation, they didnt ever release to the public, but it got out and word spread
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    But... the Truth doesn't sell like lies do.

See, it's far, far, more interesting if you twist it and change it a little, you can make it sound better and make people think it's bigger. Thats what its about - not telling you anything.
  • Options
    Newspapers don't lie often, but they do skew the facts.

But what is the truth anyway? Nobody can be unbiased.
  • Options
    You're probably best off buying two quality newspapers of diametrically opposed views and supposing the actual truth lies in the middle.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Newspapers don't lie often, but they do skew the facts.

But what is the truth anyway? Nobody can be unbiased.

Fascts should be fact, they are eithe true or lies, like the miners they are either dead or alive

Like the brazilian guy shot in London, he either walked through normally and paid with an oster card or he jumped over the barriers.

First stories inthe news all said he wore a heavy, padded jacket and jumped over the barriers and days later it was proved both were lies .. lies shouldn't even be printed...

The media lied about the tube strike and the result was thousands of people stayed away from London. They twisted the words of Jerold Ratner years ago and as a result hundres of people lost their jobs when his chain of shops went bust cos of the false reporting in the press.

The media have no honour, they can lie one day and sell loads of papers and tell the truth the next day and sell the corrected version.
  • Options
    Fascts should be fact, they are eithe true or lies

That's not how it works.

There will be three facts for one argument, and three for another. You will naturally place more importance on the facts that support your opinion. Everyone has an opinion.
    Like the brazilian guy shot in London, he either walked through normally and paid with an oster card or he jumped over the barriers.

First stories inthe news all said he wore a heavy, padded jacket and jumped over the barriers and days later it was proved both were lies .. lies shouldn't even be printed...

But the media didn't tell the lie, they reported what they had been told.

The mining accident wasn't a lie, it was a misheard message that was never printed in the media.
    The media lied about the tube strike and the result was thousands of people stayed away from London.

They said the RMT were on strike, and there would be few tubes. There were few tubes, only running because of scabs.
    They twisted the words of Jerold Ratner years ago and as a result hundres of people lost their jobs when his chain of shops went bust cos of the false reporting in the press.

No, he actually did say that he sold shit at greatly inflated prices. It was hilarious. Nobody lost their jobs, most became H Samuel.
  • Options
    Kermit, sorry but the media do print outright lies. Frequently.

Yesterday's gem that I (for obvious reasons) picked up on was "Hospital cuts low-priority surgery". Problem was, it wasn't a hospital involved and there were no cuts.

Problem now is that I don't have any faith in any news organisation when it comes to balanced reporting. In fact, since the internet, this has only become worse.
  • Options
    In defence of the media, the newspapers have to operate to extremely tight deadlines. You can't arse about when you've got a newspaper going to print every 24 hours. However, there are some worrying trends appearing in the press, and one of them is the further development of speculation. It's always been normal of the press to ask "When will the Prime Minister call the General Election?" for example, but things have gone much further recently. Back on 25th November, the press reported about George Best and how he was close to death. Judging by the pictures on the front page of the tabloids on that Friday, he might as well have been dead. It was, suffice it to say, highly insensitive.

The USA miners incident, however, was unforgivable. From what I understand on ITV News last night, the message got out that all 12 were alive. Reporters rushed to type the stories up and sent them to the newspapers. They went to print. But as soon as they'd finished printing, it emerged 11 of them were actually dead. How on earth the 'miscommunication' happened, we don't know, but the newspapers should have known better. Or should they? :(
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    There will be three facts for one argument, and three for another. You will naturally place more importance on the facts that support your opinion. Everyone has an opinion.

You could just show all the facts, or is that too much to ask?

I understand you work in the law though, so you won't deal with them often. :p

The total number of facts in a daily newspaper would fill half a side of A4. The rest is just specualtion, as SG says.
  • Options
    Truth is merely some ones perspective and opinion of events. There is no truth in this world!

OR

Truth is beauty, Beauty Truth.
  • Options
    Kermit, sorry but the media do print outright lies. Frequently.

Yes, they do, but more often than not the media works on spin, not on lies.

The story you quote will have had some truth in it, but the spin makes it seem something its not. Headlines often are lies, just to make people read the story.

I'll put it this way: the way the local newspaper reports my work, they might as well be in another court. But what they print is what was said, and is the truth, its just written in such a way to make it seem something its not.
  • Options
    Sometimes they l.ie. sometimes they spin, sometimes they get muddled or just plain and sometimes they print things that Government would rather was kept quiet or focussed on a 'good news' story.

If the media do lie - why do many people on this board (including myself) keeping posting media stories as evidence for their point of view?