Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My grandma is passing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Monday my grandma had a heart attack. She had one about 5 years previously. Its my dads mom. Him and his sisters are meeting with the Dr. today. She is probably going to have an angeoplasty. They didn't want to give her one before as the risks were too high. But now they probably will as they say she will probably only live a few more months, or until she has the surgery.

I've only ever been old enough to remember and care about 2 people dying before. And both those, they were people with whom I no longer cared about anyways.

Its not like my grandmother and I were best friends. I rarely visited her as I live far away. But she was a great woman. I always enjoyed visiting her when I did. Been living tough for a while, very very bad arthritis everywhere, heart problems, eye problems... alot. But she is my dads mother. She is all my dad has left. I feel absoutly horrible that my grandmother is going to be gone soon. And I feel just devistated for my dad. Hes my papa!

Since Monday when he told me he's just sounded so sad. I don't know what to do. I'm sad too.

Comments

• Options
    How very sad for you. *hugs* Do you have a faith or religion? Death is difficult to come to terms with, and the imminency of your grandmother's must be like greiving before the fact. I really feel for you and your family, allow yourself to be sad- it's a sad time. I hope she's not suffering too much. *more hugs*
  • Options
    When I lost my boyfriend I couldn't cry about it so I used to play Prince's-Sometimes it snows in April and cry to that instead...

There's a chance that she'll survive until the operation and that it will give her more time though?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Oh, Manda. I am so sorry to hear about all this.

My grandfather on my mums side died about 6 weeks ago and it was horrible. We are a close family and it tore my mum apart. However, she had so much support from her brothers and sisters and my dad and myself that she got through it. And your dad will get through it too.

Also, although your grandmother is passing, it isn't all your dad has left. He has you and your mum.

If you want to chat then you know where I am. Thinking of you lots xx
  • Options
    My nana has had many death scares recently, once when the dr's gave her to many water pills, then when they didnt give her her thyroxine, then she got a clot in an artery and had to have her leg amputated. On all of these occations we were told she was going to die within a couple of days, but she's pulled through like a propper yorkshire woman. All this has happened within the last 3 months and i'm begining to come to terms with her not being around for me anymore:( its not nice but think of it this way: If you nana does pass away she wont be in any pain anymore. It'll be tough for you dad becuase its his mum, but you are his family too. I may not be much help, but i'm here is you need a nana related chat.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Shit happens unfortunately.

My gran died very recently but she was in her mid 80's and had been ill for over a year. She had no quality of life so it was a bit of a relief in the end. She had a good innings anyway.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    my gran died in december at the ripe old age of 87. since march of 2005 she'd had something stupid like 4 heart attacks. she had a pacemaker fitted but apparantly they stop working when the rest of you kind of gives up. i know it's sad, but there's a time for all of us and at least your gran has had a full and prosperous life and you never know there might be years left in her yet - but you have to think she's unwell so would she really want to live a life in pain?
  • Options
    My grandma is good! After some consultations from other Dr's they decided to give her a heart valve replacement and double bipass. She had it yesterday. She had a minor infection but thats under control and she is doing great today even.
    She'll have to be in a nursing home for a month or so once she is released but then she can go back home. I'm so happy. They never told me how much longer they expected to give her by having the surgery done, but they did say that she wasn't going to do it if would have only given her like 2 years. So I'm assuming the best. :)
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    My grandma is good! After some consultations from other Dr's they decided to give her a heart valve replacement and double bipass. She had it yesterday. She had a minor infection but thats under control and she is doing great today even.
    She'll have to be in a nursing home for a month or so once she is released but then she can go back home. I'm so happy. They never told me how much longer they expected to give her by having the surgery done, but they did say that she wasn't going to do it if would have only given her like 2 years. So I'm assuming the best. :)
    This is really good to hear :)
  • Options
    my_name wrote:

My Dad had a triple bypass in November 2004 - they reckon if you look after yourself, you've got 10 years and more after the surgery. He's right as rain now, although it must have taken him a year to recover fully - I mean to the point of how he was before all his heart troubles. But he's a different bloke. :D

I'm dead chuffed for you pal! xxx
  • Options
    And wonderful to hear your fathers well! :D
  • Options
    sorry to hear that.
    i forget who said the word...but i totally agree that whoever hear the passing of someone, whether he know or not know him or her, he will also feel sad about it...
  • Options
    I know what this feels like. 2 weeks ago my mum passed away. She'd been ill for weeks and we didn't know what was wrong. Her GP said it was a chest infection but then again all GPs are the same, blah blah yeah blah take these aintibiotics, get out of my face.

She kept having these like breathing panic attacks that we couldn't understand and on New Years Eve my dad ended up ringing for an ambulance because she wasn't getting any better at all. The said it was heart failure. This was when the heart fails to function properly and it was going at a rate of up to 200. You couldn't get that from a day at the gym. From this they put her on some medication to bring the heart rate down. I saw her on Ney Years eve and she looked ok. New Years day my dad took me to see her and he should have warned me what I was going to see. I went in a ward thinking we've got the wrong ward, just seeing a woman on a monitor until I looked a little closer and realised it was my mum. That scare the hell out of me. My dad told me not to worry and that it was just a machine and she woke up and we had a little bit of a chat. I went home worrying a little but not too bad. About 3 o clock the next morning we got a call saying she'd got worse. Once gettin to the hospital a registrar took us into a little waiting room. From that I knew something was really wrong. He told us about the heart going up again and her blood pressure dropping. Then he told us about a CT scan she went for in December and that they got the results back and her cancer had come back after 6 yrs. From that he told us that even if the heart was cured the cancer would have taken 3 months max. Obviously this was a shock and still is a shock. I'm still stuggling to accept that she's gone. However from the last day she had with us I can be happy about. She had all her family there for her, to say goodbye to her. Even that night before I left i said I was going and she said "ok night god bless" and smiled at me and although thats the last smile I'm going to see from her, I couldn't have left on a better ending and a better face. She was in no pain and most of all she didn't know her cancer had come back because if she had she would have gone a very frightened woman.

So all I can say is make sure you spend as much time with them as you possibly can and say your farewells to them because I feel myself very lucky that I got the chance to. Not many people get that oppertunity. And also like I'm having to do now, look after your dad. My dad lost his mum and dad a while back but this is the biggest blow to him, losing the love of his life. I'm sticking by my dad as is my brother. I feel bad for losing my mum but my pain is nothing compared to my dad's pain. So take care of them all.

I wish you all the best
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I'm really pleased to hear that, Manda :D
  • Options
    frapestyle wrote:
    I know what this feels like. 2 weeks ago my mum passed away. She'd been ill for weeks and we didn't know what was wrong. Her GP said it was a chest infection but then again all GPs are the same, blah blah yeah blah take these aintibiotics, get out of my face.

She kept having these like breathing panic attacks that we couldn't understand and on New Years Eve my dad ended up ringing for an ambulance because she wasn't getting any better at all. The said it was heart failure. This was when the heart fails to function properly and it was going at a rate of up to 200. You couldn't get that from a day at the gym. From this they put her on some medication to bring the heart rate down. I saw her on Ney Years eve and she looked ok. New Years day my dad took me to see her and he should have warned me what I was going to see. I went in a ward thinking we've got the wrong ward, just seeing a woman on a monitor until I looked a little closer and realised it was my mum. That scare the hell out of me. My dad told me not to worry and that it was just a machine and she woke up and we had a little bit of a chat. I went home worrying a little but not too bad. About 3 o clock the next morning we got a call saying she'd got worse. Once gettin to the hospital a registrar took us into a little waiting room. From that I knew something was really wrong. He told us about the heart going up again and her blood pressure dropping. Then he told us about a CT scan she went for in December and that they got the results back and her cancer had come back after 6 yrs. From that he told us that even if the heart was cured the cancer would have taken 3 months max. Obviously this was a shock and still is a shock. I'm still stuggling to accept that she's gone. However from the last day she had with us I can be happy about. She had all her family there for her, to say goodbye to her. Even that night before I left i said I was going and she said "ok night god bless" and smiled at me and although thats the last smile I'm going to see from her, I couldn't have left on a better ending and a better face. She was in no pain and most of all she didn't know her cancer had come back because if she had she would have gone a very frightened woman.

So all I can say is make sure you spend as much time with them as you possibly can and say your farewells to them because I feel myself very lucky that I got the chance to. Not many people get that oppertunity. And also like I'm having to do now, look after your dad. My dad lost his mum and dad a while back but this is the biggest blow to him, losing the love of his life. I'm sticking by my dad as is my brother. I feel bad for losing my mum but my pain is nothing compared to my dad's pain. So take care of them all.

I wish you all the best

Jesus mate. I don't know what to say. I hope everything gets better for you soon. :heart:
  • Options
    Jesus mate. I don't know what to say. I hope everything gets better for you soon. :heart:

Ditto. That sounds so very tough. Be strong. I'm of use if you every want to rant ;) My heart goes out to you right now.