Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

You've got Mail. And it's got your number!

This afternoon, my mum received a phone call. When she came off it, she told me that it was from "You Magazine". In case you don't know, "you Magazine" is currently a supplement that forms part of The Mail on Sunday. Apparently, they want to launch it as a seperate magazine. That's fair enough.

But what I want to know is this. How did Associated Newspapers get this house's number? And how do they know that my mum reads the Daily Mail and The Mail on Sunday? It just seems very strange to me, slightly scary too. Doesn't anyone else find it disturbing that private companies can call your number and know so much about you?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    \
  • Options
    She may have once entered a competition or been in contact, companies keep all sorts of info if only to sell the databases to someone else.

I ticked the box on UCAS which said I did not want to be contacted by other companies but still got inundated with junk mail as soon as I get accepted.

A common technique is to fill in a lifestyle survey on the hope of winning a prize, that info is collected and sold to all and sundry.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    yeah loads of people have come calling at the door offering a lighter, or coupons for 5 mins of my time to answer a few questions. they ask all kinds of things, like what brand of washing powder do you use, and what you like to drink etc. and there's also ones that come through the door, so there is a chance your mum did one of these, it could even have been years ago.
  • Options
    Even though my family had our hosue number taken off of every single call centre list there is only a few months ago, we are now back on them all because of banks primarily. Banks require contact details as do most similar institutions and they happily share personal contact details with call centre agencies and companies who do tele-marketing!