Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Shrinking jeans?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basically, I bought a pair of size 10 grey skinny jeans from New Look for £25 on New Years Eve, to tuck into my new boots. I tried on both size 8 and size 10 in the shop - sadly, I have a size 10 arse and size 8 thighs, so went with the snug 10s instead of the tight 8s.

Anyway.. wore them for a couple of hours in the evening, and they stretched like nobody's business - in no way do they resemble 'skinny' jeans - they're all baggy on the knees and saggy around my arse.

Unfortunately, can't take them back as my mate spilt lager and lime on them, and I guess it would be obvious they'd been washed....

So is there anyway of shrinking them permanently? I hate to feel I've wasted my money.

Comments

• Options
    if they've got a high cotton content you could try putting them on a hot wash to shrink them, but there's the risk that they could shrink way too much and be unwearable. or that they won't shrink at all.

you could just put them on a normal wash every time you want to wear them...it's a pain in the arse, but washing tightens jeans up.
  • Options
    surely though you can take them back because they stretched so much? it's not your fault is it!
  • Options
    my dad always used to wear his jeans in a cold bath til they shrunk to fit him :confused: could try that!
  • Options
    I found that hot water then stick them in the dryer on hot while they are still soaking works. But only for about one wear.
  • Options
    I vote take em back. Tell them you bought them as 'skinny fit fashion jeans' and as they stretch too much with minimal use they're not suitable for the purpose they were sold, and therefore you are entitled to your money back- no voucher thank you very much. If you get a nice person you shouldn't have a problem, if they're mean- stand your ground, stay calm (that'll infuriate them:)), speak to the manager and just keep repeating your point until you get what you want.
  • Options
    Augh! Thanks for the heads up, I just bought the exact same jeans yesterday :crazyeyes I haven't yet experienced any random stretching though, so probably best to take 'em back and complain. If you go about trying to shrink them yourself, then the people in the shop can blame the saggyness on over-washing them or whatever. So if you go complain now, they can refund your money or at least find out how it happened and perhaps give you tips on how to shrink them.
  • Options
    Ages ago i accidentally bought some size 12's from topshop because the wasit size in inches confused me muchly, and they used to gape around the waist, which was not great when i erm bent down, so i 90 degree white cotton washed their ass 3 times in a row then tumble dried them and it worked!
    They are now kind of like a large size 10 and you can't see my pants and stuff anymore when i bend over, which is always good, but i think it only worked because they were just like normal jeans not the stretchy kind, but you could give it a go.
  • Options
    Hmm.. I could take them back.. or get my mother to (shops always eye me suspiciously if I try to return something.. like I'm a 15 yr old con-woman).
    It's just they've been obviously worn for an evening, and smell of beer.

Mother says she will try boiling-then-tumble-drying.. but if it only works for one wash like my_name said... :no:

I don't mind getting a voucher - I'll just buy the size 8s... so better find that receipt.