Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

700 more words :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Not that there's any real point to this, but it's 3:15 am, which gives me about 13 hours to come up with about 700 more words on Great Expectations, and i'm basing it entirely on that South park episode if anyone's seen it. So i guess i'm posting this to put off trying to come up with anything bloody else. And all the other bloody students have checked out all the books from the library so i can't reference or find new ideas.

Uni'd be great if i didn't have to do work.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    minus 3 hours for breaks and the sorts, 70 words an hour for 10 hours sounda pretty tame
  • Options
    I guess you'd call this a break. Still i'm not sure the caffeine will last that long :)
  • Options
    massive.jpg!
    Finally got it done and i can leave this bloody library. Now for the real question, since it's 20 to 6, do i goto sleep and risk sleeping through the hand in deadline? Oh decisions decisions.
  • Options
    id say, get home, get a cup off coffee down your neck, and sleep for an hour, it will make you feel much better, and then the coffee you necked before you slept will by then be working through your system

and then hand the work in and grab an hour of lie down where you can

remember, afternoon naps are what its all about
  • Options
    Haha i'd love a coffee, but when i returned home this evening, i found a dog in the house (obviously my housemate wasn't expecting me home, and has bought his dog up for a few days) Well anyway, i'm terrified of dogs, i somehow managed to coax it into the kitchen then closed the door.

There's no way i'm going back in there.

I'll like that idea though. I've never really considered an afternoon nap before.
  • Options
    Haha i'd love a coffee, but when i returned home this evening, i found a dog in the house (obviously my housemate wasn't expecting me home, and has bought his dog up for a few days) Well anyway, i'm terrified of dogs, i somehow managed to coax it into the kitchen then closed the door.

There's no way i'm going back in there.

I'll like that idea though. I've never really considered an afternoon nap before.

you housemate wasnt expecting you home, dear lord did he think you were going to be in the library for days?

though from personal experience, that dont sound too far fetched
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Finally got it done and i can leave this bloody library. Now for the real question, since it's 20 to 6, do i goto sleep and risk sleeping through the hand in deadline? Oh decisions decisions.

Were you in Collegiate Learning Centre? The thought of being there til this time is not a nice thought. I find it a very intimidating library :(

Glad you got it done, though :)
  • Options
    Glad it's over for you. Not that I've seen it but did you get in nuff 'intertextual approach' and 'postmodernist' references to make it look like you didn't just use the assignment as an excuse to watch your fave cartoon! lol Was it an English/Dram/Other essay?

I've still got four assignments to do that are due in next week :( Don't forget most uni's have an automatic 24hr leway on the deadline, in case you do fall asleep- not that we're supposed to rely on that 24hrs to actually do the assignment :D
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Glad it's over for you- I've still got four assignments to do that are due in next week :( Don't forget most uni's have an automatic 24hr leway on the deadline, in case you do fall asleep- not that we're supposed to rely on that 24hrs to actually do the assignment :D
    as far as im aware, most uni's DONT! and unless an extension is given to everyone, or unless you are actually sick, then you get zero %
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    as far as im aware, most uni's DONT! and unless an extension is given to everyone, or unless you are actually sick, then you get zero %

What I have known it as is that for every day late the essay is you get 10% (i've even known 20% too!) knocked off your mark.

So, even if you got 70% but your essay was one day late, (by one day, i mean anything up to 24 hours after the due date, so even if you were only an hour late it still classes as one day),you only get 60%.

I have 3 assignments to do this week. One is almost finished. I'm onto the next now :(
  • Options
    people are lucky if they have that applied to them, cause in places if its late they wont mark it
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    people are lucky if they have that applied to them, cause in places if its late they wont mark it

Yup.

Handing in an essay late, without an agreed extension, is not a good thing to do. You *will* get penalised in one way or another. Deadlines are there for reasons and are not there as a general guide and if handed in up to 24 hours late "it's ok really". It ain't.
  • Options
    Humn, just had a look at uni policies and you're right they don't have an automatic 24 hour without penalty zone!!!! Um, one of my lecturers told me this when I couldn't get in to hand in an assignment (kid/car/life's fucked up troubles, I did send a pdf email though), I handed in 24 hours late and haven't had my mark back yet- grrrr, hope I didn't get a penalty... :(
  • Options
    My uni is really strict when it comes to deadlines. If you don't hand it in at the deadline, you have 10 days to hand it in. The highest mark you can get is 40% and if you hand it in after these 10 days you get 0%.

your university, im sorry to say, is very lenient, many places just give you 0%, and then if they allow you to do another piece of work for it, will give you a max of 40%
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Humn, just had a look at uni policies and you're right they don't have an automatic 24 hour without penalty zone!!!! Um, one of my lecturers told me this when I couldn't get in to hand in an assignment (kid/car/life's fucked up troubles, I did send a pdf email though), I handed in 24 hours late and haven't had my mark back yet- grrrr, hope I didn't get a penalty... :(

If your uni lecturer told you this then if you do get a penalty explain the situation and your lecturer should be able to sort it out. He gave you an extension, official or not and it will be his fault.
    MrG wrote:
    your university, im sorry to say, is very lenient, many places just give you 0%, and then if they allow you to do another piece of work for it, will give you a max of 40%

See, I actually think that your uni is overly harsh with this. Sometimes there *are* extenuating circumstances that mean you cannot hand in an assignment on the date. I have never *ever* heard of a uni that will give you zero marks if it isn't in on time.
  • Options
    We've got sucky attendance rules, three strikes and you're out, well, automatically failed that module if you have more than three absenses.
  • Options
    my uni... you don't hand a piece of work in, you get 0% and you fail the module. and when you have to take the module again you're not allowed to get any higher than 40% or GP4.
  • Options
    Were you in Collegiate Learning Centre? The thought of being there til this time is not a nice thought. I find it a very intimidating library :(

Glad you got it done, though :)
    haha yeah i was, it was only me and the cleaners and the security guards though :)
    As far as i'm aware, they seal the submission box at 4pm on the day, and that's it. If you're works not in there, you don't get a mark, and fail the module.
    Though last year my friend got several months extensions after some family stuff...
    They're not strict on attendance though, you either go...or you don't. I pay for the bloody course though, so i'm damned i'm not going to attend it.
  • Options
    haha yeah i was, it was only me and the cleaners and the security guards though :)
    As far as i'm aware, they seal the submission box at 4pm on the day, and that's it. If you're works not in there, you don't get a mark, and fail the module.

Check it out in your student manual, but Sheffield Hallam always used to have a 40% max policy on late submissions. Of course, that would mean you had to do the work again, but it wouldn't automatically fail you, which is uberharsh.