Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Money

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Browsing through my uni's webpages I saw them recommending international students to have at the least 5700 pounds to live for, for a year of uni (excluding summer vacation I think). This amount would exclue tuitions fees, travel fees to get to and from Sheffield from one's home country, rent, coursematerials etc.

Now, I was just wondering, how much money are you guys surviving on?
Cause I just think that this amount of money is extremely high when thinking about the fact that it equals to 7 months or so. It's a little under a grand a month. And while I know it's easy to spend that much. Then I believe that it's perfectly okay to spend much less than that, and still come out alright with no lack of social-life or food.

Personally I am not really sure how much I have been using so far. Manage through 3 accounts, which complicates matters.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I've spent just short of £2000, of which £1000 has gone to accomodation, and the rest on study materials and alcohol.
  • Options
    my rent is about £250 a month, which my parents pay. then i have £200 a month for living costs. so i dont spend too much really!
  • Options
    That is quite high!!!!

Most people survive at Uni on much less than that!
  • Options
    after i've paid half my rent and my fees i'm left with around £300-400 of my loan. that has to last until the next loan. i then have a job that brings in about £220 a month. however i also have a car that steals some of my pennies.
  • Options
    Uhm...I'm really struggling on my loan. I'm in desperate need of a job right now. My accom is almost £600 per month and I hate it.
    I'm Scottish...so I don't even have to pay tuition fees. Thank God.
  • Options
    Because it's catered and ensuite.
    And I'm at Edinburgh...fecking second most expensive city in the UK, dammit!
    And I'm so poor... I really don't fit in there. But nevermind.
  • Options
    Since i started uni in September, i would estimate i have spent around £3000. About £800 has gone on accomodation and tuition fees so far. (Rent is £600 a semester, or about £50 a week).

The rest? I honestly dread to think. It's not like you can't live cheaply in Sheffield though. I could quite easily get by on about £80 a week including rent, food and bills. I just choose not to. If you're paying more than £60 a week for rent, i'd suggest you're being ripped off. There are awesome houses available for less, especially if you're sharing. Seriously, i can't see why anyone would need to spend that much....
  • Options
    I get my fees paid for me so that's alright.

I get £4695 a year, of which £2400 goes on rent, so £2,300 a year odd on food and drink and transport.
  • Options
    £5700 for seven months is £188 cash a week! Crickey, who has that much moolar? I think that's a tad unrealistic, unless you have a trust fund or don't mind loads of extra-student-loan debt.
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote:
    Uhm...I'm really struggling on my loan. I'm in desperate need of a job right now. My accom is almost £600 per month and I hate it.
    I'm Scottish...so I don't even have to pay tuition fees. Thank God.

oh my dear god. you pay more than triple what i pay a week in rent.
  • Options
    i dont have a clue. when i get my loan (3500 total) a huge chunk comes out for my rent which is 59 per week for 12months.
    when i've run out i get money from my parents.
    that reminds me i was going to make a resolution this year to learn how to budget.

also, when i went to france i got a loan of 5000. i didn't have to pay any tuition fees and i got about 2000 of which i didnt have to pay any of it back. (erasmus).

(p.s. my pound sign doesnt work).
  • Options
    My parents pay for my tutition fees and also for my rent which is around £280 a month. I also have £100 a week living costs and work a couple of nights a week which brings in another £60 a week usually. It's hard to work though because I have a 9am start everyday and my course is quite intense, I only get one afternoon off each week.
    Probably sounds like I have alot of money to live on but I use my car quite a bit and I guess I don't budget as much as I could on food, going out and associated drugs and alcohol. I also have an unhealthy obsession with clothes and shoe shopping. So yeah, I've still ended up thousands of pounds in debt, even though I work my ass off every holiday.
  • Options
    Try using the budget sheets from here: http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/england_wales/budget_sheet.php?country=england_wales&time=monthly

There's even a space to put in your shoe expenditure- 'priority debts' lol
  • Options
    hmm...

I have about £6,500 a year to live on I guess, including rent, bills, tuition fees etc.