Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Flat mate driving me mad

I live in a kinda shared house type thing. My parents live downstairs and me an another guy live upstairs. My parents are in the process of converting the house into two flats, but its gonna take anything up to five years to do fully.

Now my flat mate new this (let call him jo) before he moved in, and ever since all he does is complain. About the rent being too high, he pays £85 a week unless he does gardening for us then its reduced by anything up to £20. This inclueds all bills (except the phone bill) and food. I know I dont know much but from looking around it seems really cheap to me considering where we live. He complains about my parents and thinks its ok to slag them off to me, I mean what does he expect me to say?

My mum has told him not to let his friends stay when he goes out and that seems fair, but he's going on about it saying all his mates are really trust worthy and its just like, yea they may be to you, but they are also total coke heads and i wouldnt put it past half of them.

He's also really loud when he comes in late at night. My parents bed room is right next to the front door and he doesnt seem to care about having loud conversations right next to their room. Its one thing to want to be indipendent and live the way you want to but he sharing a house and surly if it was mates he was living with he wouldnt treat them that way.

he blasts his music to all hours of the night and also when he gets up in the morning. It drives me up the wall! Here I am trying to study, or having just got back from a lte shift at work and really need to have some quiet and he wont turn it down!!!

I've tried talking to him but he gets all high and mighty saying that he pays to live here and he can do what he wants and shouldnt have to feel like he's back home with mum and dad.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i rent out my spare room to help pay the bills, and do a similar deal, i charge £80 a week and yes thats cheap for most places.

Did your parents get him to sign a contract when he moved in? it should have start stuff like the noise levels, guests, paying of rent. house rules etc.... if he gets too bad you can give him minium of 2-4weeks (i think it is) to move out.
  • Options
    I dont think he signed a contract as in a pretty typed up style one. I think it was just notes on a bit a scrap paper which he put his name to.
  • Options
    might be a idea to find them. your parents are the landlords and have things they have to do and keep working but the tenants have their share as well. if you want i can email you the one i use. had a solicitor and and friend who deals with those types of contracts for london council look at it, they said its fine.
    Might be an idea to give him a warning and if he doesn't change, tell him to leave.
  • Options
    It's a good price.

And if he is being a nuisance, I'm sure there are routes you / your parents can take to have him removed. If there's no pretty typed up contract and no material agreement, then there's nothing to stop you removing him, I would have thought!
  • Options
    My flat mate is making me angry. I came back to the house today after christmas to be attacked by a dog. I hate dogs.

There's no real point to this, except flatmates are annoying.
  • Options
    If he's paying rent, and there is a verbal contract (and he is, and there is) then you do have to give him some warning. But not much.

Have you just told him to STFU?
  • Options
    Turf the ungrateful bugger out and see how he survives in the real world where bills are not included and that you have to pay council tax and water rates, then just watch him come crawling back :yes: can't believe he slags your parents off to you, i agree business is business but if he's got a bone to pick with his landlord (your parents) then why dont he just tell them face to face rather then bitching about it behind their backs like a baby. feckin moose :mad:
  • Options
    I pay £50 per week for a room in a shared house. Includes all bills, though obviously not food. £85 per week for room and food isn't a bad deal at all, but it is by no means super-special or spectacular.

However, it does sound like he needs to realise where his bread is currently being buttered, and have a little respect for the people he has to share his life with. I think a quiet word and a decent explanation might help, failing that just serve him notice and get someone new in :).

I don't think it is out of order to:-

No use of audio amplifiers(or televisions) between 11pm and 7am. Though obviously if they are quiet and thoughtful of others then this should largely be ignored.
    The occasional friend may stay over with the prior permission of the landlord. But, obviously, if someone decent moves in and they have a decent partner who causes no problem to anyone else, again it should largely be ignored.

Make up whatever rules are required to control the people who don't consider the needs of the other people in the house. Ignore them as much as possible for the folk in life who have common sense, and tend to be rational human beings who treat others how they'd like to be treated :).
  • Options
    erm i used to pay £47.50 a week for my house in durham, and that included the water bill and nothing else

i think the amount that guy who rents from zella's mummy and daddy, is paying, which includes all this guys food, and all his bills apart from the phone, especially in the area they are living in, £80 a week is more than reasonable

i know a guy who pays £65 a week in durham for a nice enough house, which includes the water bill and nothing else
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If he's paying rent, and there is a verbal contract (and he is, and there is) then you do have to give him some warning. But not much.

Have you just told him to STFU?

if they manage to get the to sign the right contract, or even if he doesnt, the fact that he lives in the same house as the landlord, not nullify the rights of either the landlord or the tennant in certainareas?
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    if they manage to get the to sign the right contract, or even if he doesnt, the fact that he lives in the same house as the landlord, not nullify the rights of either the landlord or the tennant in certainareas?
    nope. it make it easier to get him kicked out as the landlord is a live-in landlord, like myself. think he should be sat down talked to, given a warning if he continues the same way give him his notice. and get a new lodger.
  • Options
    Grrrrr and there's an unspoken rule that however much you slag you parents/friend/lover off to another friend, they are not allowed to say anything of the sort against them to you! surely?
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:
    nope. it make it easier to get him kicked out as the landlord is a live-in landlord, like myself. think he should be sat down talked to, given a warning if he continues the same way give him his notice. and get a new lodger.

you just validated my point :yeees:

so by been able to kick out the tennant more easily, some peoples rights have been invalidated
  • Options
    i wouldn't say that. what i meant was its easier as if the landlord didn't live in the same house/flat etc... the tenants could always claim squatters rights and then the police and courts would have to get a hand him to get them removed and that could take time and money. but its a lot hard for them to beabel to do that if the landlord lives in the same building. its still not an easy thing to do and you have to do it right. like i said with the talking to them, warnings etc... either way you have to give them enough time to find a new place, you cant just kick them out.
  • Options
    I did have a chat with him about the parent slaggage tbh, and if you want I'll have a word with him about anything else, "Jo" seems to listen to me.