Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

3rd year portfolio opinion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
i am two and a half years into a three year course.

am i being naive in thinking that it will almost be irrevelant if i get a 2:2 or a 2:1, if i show a possible employer a decent (photo/ illustration/ graphics) portfolio of work (mostly produced after graduation)?

will i get employment based on a good selection of work, or a grade from university?

the work that i actually do is of a 2:1 standard.

please help. thanks.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Not quite sure what you mean when you say you're two and a half years into the course but most of the work has been produced AFTER graduation?

I think at the end of the day the portfolio is the main focus but a good grade will help. One lecturer could love a portfolio and another loathe it.

How do you know your work is of a 2:1 standard?
  • Options
    i know the work i do is of a 2:1 standard, because i usually get 60+% marks. its just that i stupidly for one reason or another, don't do all the work. (meaning my 2nd year mark was just under 50%)

sorry i didn't make myself clear, but what i meant was that i graduate in the summer, but when i get round to showing my portfolio to possible employers, it may be sometime in 2008, as i am spending a year in japan. i hope to put work into my portfolio that will be produced after i graduate. thats all.
  • Options
    Well, as a graphic design student (but I'm more into illustration) myself I would suspect that a few places will be snobby about your mark whereas others will base their decision primarily on your portfolio.

Someone told me that it's all about perseverance after your graduate which I would agree with.