Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

im getting a guitar

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
wohooooo, some of you may think.

anyway, im skint atm. im musically orientated, soon as a get my first paycheck im buying one. any advice on places to buy? prices? brands?

cant fucking wait till i cany play anything other then under the bridge, and come as you are.

very looking forward to been able to play fluent

Comments

• Options
    btw, dont want to spend over a ton
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    No idea if its any good ( I know NOTHING of guitars) but erm, good reveiws and cheap. So yeah.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=97480
  • Options
    eBay.

The shite ones are like £40 ;p. Mine was £100 (and I :heart: it). Tis an Encore strat, and (I heard) they're good beginners guitars. So, yanno, look into it.

Depends how much you wanna spend really.

P.S. It takes way too long to learn to play it properly ;(.
  • Options
    You're gonna find that most guitars under 100 are gonna sound the same (not that sound is gonna matter at the start anyway)

I'd recommend:
    Squire
    Crafter
    Vintage

in that price range. Good luck, it's great fun, i moved to drums after i messed my fingers up playing sports...wish i could still play properly
  • Options
    btw, acoustic all the way, not interested in eleccy but cheers. just had a good look and am looking at a 130 limit now, want to get something to keep for good.

a friend told me about different strings to get for beginners like, easier on the fingers? cant remember him saying id they make a different sound but he lost his index finger a while while back so cant play half like he used to. cant explain what i feel for him, must be very devestating. he's willing to teach me all he knows, cant explain what i feel for him but he loved playing
  • Options
    whilst im at it, anyone got any ideas for him, he has tried thimbulls (sp) but he canr crack it. it is only half chopped off, he has tried music shops but they say he is pretty much fucked. worth a try i guess.
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    eBay.

i'm very keen..
  • Options
    Franki wrote:

True that. It's been like two months since I played mine, I need new strings and an adaptor. They're massive fun when you learn to play a song and jam along though!
  • Options
    Start from the beginning with a left hander? I could never even consider doing that...but you never know. Drums are cool.

I think you're right to go with acoustic, they're lovely.

Something like this:
    http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=67420
    I've ordered basically my whole set up from these guys. They're good.
    Here's some reviews:
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Epiphone/AJ_10-1.html

Epiphone is a very respected make.
  • Options
    You're gonna find that most guitars under 100 are gonna sound the same (not that sound is gonna matter at the start anyway)

I'd recommend:
    Squire
    Crafter
    Vintage

in that price range. Good luck, it's great fun, i moved to drums after i messed my fingers up playing sports...wish i could still play properly

thanks, what happened? its fucked up when shit like that happens, really fucks me off. part of my friend kind of died, his guitar was part of him. probably like it was yours.
  • Options
    True that. It's been like two months since I played mine, I need new strings and an adaptor. They're massive fun when you learn to play a song and jam along though!
    you dont sound as keen as me though, im 18 with a big knowledge for music, play piano from 4 till being 14, got good but not interested in the sound. fun is only part of what im after.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Talking of instruments: Anyone think/know where i'd get a REALLY cheap drum kit from like?
  • Options
    It was nothing that terribly bad, i broke all my fingers playing football and they never set straight, basically just means i have no pressure on my finger tips to push down the string properly...that and they bend off at the wrong angles now. It was gutting at first, but y'know...i like the drums.

Oh and if we're talking drums, i got a set up from sound control, it cost £200, it's good enough to learn on, though you'll need new cymbals (and skins) if you're going to be playing in a band. The hi hats weren't too great.
  • Options
    I'll recomend a mexican strat. fender is good and that one is dirt cheap (ass opposed to the american strat). i bought a really pretty purple one for like $200 brand new.
  • Options
    Start from the beginning with a left hander? I could never even consider doing that...but you never know. Drums are cool.

I think you're right to go with acoustic, they're lovely.

Something like this:
    http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=67420
    I've ordered basically my whole set up from these guys. They're good.
    Here's some reviews:
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Epiphone/AJ_10-1.html

yep, acoustic sound sexy. never thought of recomending left handed but i will. cheers for them buys, just waiting for my first few pay packs, beens out of work for a little while...
  • Options
    The guitar i've got was a christmas prezzie from my gf, think it cost around £100ish and comes with 52 weeks of online lessons (which are suprisingly good!)
    The guitar itself is by jose ferera and is aparently designed by guitar teachers especially for students.
    Well i think its good :thumb: :D
  • Options
    squire strats the usual beginners guitar. they are decent guitars, but you'll need to change the strings immediately.

make sure you get a decent amp aswell, don't get the squire strat starter pack, as the supplied amp is utter shite.

instead get a marshall practice amp similar to this.

image.php?productid=42
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Talking of instruments: Anyone think/know where i'd get a REALLY cheap drum kit from like?

newcastle drum centre are your freind, they're really helpful, and even if you dont buy anything from them, there's a large range of drumkits ranging from beginner to veeeehr nice :yes:

I've been playing.... about 10 or 11 years now :)

ooh, your local paper'll be a good place to pick up a good cheap second hand kit too I would suspect, that's where I got my first from :thumb:
  • Options
    just one thing:

if you live in a semi detatched house, for the love of god PLEASE don't play the same 3 chords at top volume at 7am, or your neighbours will want to stab you in the face with sticks :(

that is all. good luck with your guitar hunt.
  • Options
    I bought an acoustic guitar just before xmas. Sounds good, was a fair price. In a sale for £69 but I got the guy down to £65 coz he gave me the guitar for £60 and a £15 bag for £5.

I can do the strumming but the chords are a nightmare, not even sure I am doing them properly and now I have become distracted away from it with ps2 games, dvds and being ill.

Hopefully I will learn how to play properly.
  • Options
    How about a lute. da dal a la da da daaa da
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

My sister is looking to sell hers for £150, just selling because she hasnt played them in about 6 or 7 years.
    Let me know if interested
  • Options
    a friend told me about different strings to get for beginners like, easier on the fingers?

Yes. When I got my guitar, I got an accoustic with nylon strings. When I used to have lessons, I'd sometimes borrow the teachers' guitar which had steel strings, which are more painful to play with. Also, with electric guitars, you can only get them with steel strings. And don't put nylon strings on a steel strung guitar and vice versa. (Something to do with the bridge I think?)
  • Options
    go for an ESP ... There are some decent cheap ones and they look soooo pretty :D
  • Options
    If you're still looking at acoustic, have a look at the Yamaha ones they have at GAK. I've heard a few good things about them and they seem to be at reasonable prices.
  • Options
    If you are actually serious about learning the guitar, please, don't buy a cheap one. I spend $299 USD on my first guitar, where most people spend $99. I've noticed in squiers, well just about any cheap guitar is, terrible, terrible fretwork, terrible action, terrible tuning stability, terrible tuners, terrible wood, terrible necks, terrible pickups, terrible hardware, and.. terrible circuitry.

now the problem with a crappy guitar is that it makes it harder to play. and when you're learning, theres no reason to make it harder

My first guitar was a BC RICH flying v. new. while the pickups werent all to special, the neck is still perfectly strait, no adjustments, no nothing. the hardware is well worn, but stable, frets havent worn.

I build guitars now, so i havent bought one in a while. but I've noticed the $300 Jackson and some ESP's are pretty stable.

When you buy a guitar, look at it first, play expensive ones, play cheap ones. find a balance.
    some things to look for are how strait the neck is and how hihg the strings are off the neck (action). i'm sure there are some guides online