Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Gooseberry

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
New Year's Eve is the most depressing time to be single. Last year I spent it being the only person with no one to kiss at midnight in a rubbish bar in Soho and this year because I have to go to work in a minute I didn't bother spending £18 to get into a club at 11:50 but I was out with three couples anyway and even though they said they wanted me around I just felt like a spare wheel. Sigh. After 20 years, it would be really nice if next year I'm not still single!

Sorry this is just a rant.

Comments

• Options
    hey piccolo

i posted a similar thread yesterday - which i didn't get any replies to. you're right - NYE is the most depressing time. i'm with someone but he couldn't be bothered to spend the evening with me and went out with friends instead - what hurt even more was the fact that we live 200 miles apart most of the year and the friends he was visiting live less than 20 minutes drive from me - and i wasn't invited.

i was alone last night and it was awful, feeling like a spare part all night, and not having anyone to smooch at midnight.

just to say i understand and hope you're ok - and sorry for adding my own little rant to your thread. take care and look after yourself - and you WILL find someone, when you least expect it.... ;)

love from cavegirl
    xx
  • Options
    cavegirl wrote:
    i'm with someone but he couldn't be bothered to spend the evening with me and went out with friends instead - what hurt even more was the fact that we live 200 miles apart most of the year and the friends he was visiting live less than 20 minutes drive from me - and i wasn't invited.

That's terrible! Feel bad for both of you :(
  • Options
    hey I'm joining your club. I went out last night for new year, my mate had a hous eparty. It was cool. It was a bit wack coz I got there way before most of my friends so I was with people I didn't know but I got on them them.

I am single to and al I wanted was 1 proper kiss at midnight. This party whch was supposed to have plnety of singles there didn't, every girl was taken except for maybe 1 and she wasn't interested. I got hugs an dkisses on the cheek but no proper kiss. I left at about 2:30 and there were a few still there who no doubt had fun with their gfs and ones that weren't in a couple probably feel in2 bed anyway as thats how it seemd when I left.

New Years really does suck when you single. I have been single for too long and I just know I can make a girl happy if I get the chance.

1 kiss at midnight wasn't much to ask for but still I didn't get one. Oh well.
  • Options
    cavegirl wrote:
    i'm with someone but he couldn't be bothered to spend the evening with me and went out with friends instead - what hurt even more was the fact that we live 200 miles apart most of the year and the friends he was visiting live less than 20 minutes drive from me - and i wasn't invited.

Blimey, he must really be something else the rest of the time to make up for that kind of insensitivity.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    Blimey, he must really be something else the rest of the time to make up for that kind of insensitivity.

lol - fortunately he's not all bad, he's usually very considerate and fab - just does stupid stuff like this from time to time. ironically, got a text from him an hour ago telling me he went to bed early at his friends house and took two sleeping tablets - so i've been doubly snubbed. *laughs cynically*.
  • Options
    New years over rated I've never liked it I think it leaves alot of people lonely. All for the sake to 12 dings (or was it dongs) Dont let it get you down your'll get your kiss at some point and for the right reasons.
  • Options
    bluetooth wrote:
    New years over rated I've never liked it I think it leaves alot of people lonely. All for the sake to 12 dings (or was it dongs) Dont let it get you down your'll get your kiss at some point and for the right reasons.

I agree with bluetooth. Folks don't get too down hearted about one way-over hyped nite. This is the start of a new year and there are lots of exciting things that can happen in life and in love :love: .
    Chin up everyone :thumb:
  • Options
    new years eve is really just the same as another night.

you really shouldn't view being single as being a bad thing 'cause it's really not.
  • Options
    I think it's better to be single than be with someone and be unhappy. At least there is some sort of hope if you are single and not hung up on someone.

I usually go out for new year and feel the same as you did. Last night I stayed in with female friends and played drinking games, it was great, no pressure, no "ohmigod I don't have a bloke to snog at midnight".

Rang my bf/whatever he is now to wish him happy new year and he kept dumping the call. so er yeah, better to be single!
  • Options
    I think new years eve is a bit of a joke really. At you approach midnight groups of guys start circling around the attractive girls in the hope of getting a kiss at midnight. Last night by pure chance my brother and I ended up with a girl who is apparently some sort of glamour model dancing right between us. As it hit midnight we just carried on dancing, but by then we were completely surrounded by guys looking to get a nye kiss from her. I just felt sorry for her, as she obviously just wanted to enjoy herself, rather than having a dozen guys looking for a 1 second kiss....
  • Options
    squired wrote:
    I think new years eve is a bit of a joke really. At you approach midnight groups of guys start circling around the attractive girls in the hope of getting a kiss at midnight. Last night by pure chance my brother and I ended up with a girl who is apparently some sort of glamour model dancing right between us. As it hit midnight we just carried on dancing, but by then we were completely surrounded by guys looking to get a nye kiss from her. I just felt sorry for her, as she obviously just wanted to enjoy herself, rather than having a dozen guys looking for a 1 second kiss....
    that happened to me actually. i thought it was quite funny the number of guys who tried it on. and then even after midnight the number of randoms who would just come up to me and give me a kiss on the cheek. i was like errrm ok then :razz: u weirdos.
  • Options
    Personally I'm a believer that if you're lonely then the work needs to be done on yourself more than on finding a mate. If you're happy, you will draw people to you.

This has been my 22nd Christmas and New year being single (relationships don't last with me, I like the freedom to be myself and always hook up in the spring) and yeah, maybe you have nobody to snog, but if you've got your friends then you can always get a cuddle (maybe even a kiss) with them.

Look on being single as a chance for self-discovery and freedom... Well that's just what I believe.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    It's even worse if you're alone as well as single. I almost hate people who were having fun because of my envy...
  • Options
    it might be your 22nd christmas of having been single but you're not likely to have a boyfriend aged 2 are you. :p
  • Options
    [QUOTE=-[MoonRat]-]maybe you have nobody to snog, but if you've got your friends then you can always get a cuddle (maybe even a kiss) with them. [/QUOTE] Oh, you're right, I was just annoyed at being out with couples who were more interested in each other.
  • Options
    It's awful playing gooseberry, I hate it and I'm married. I was at a party without the wife (2am finish at work for her, lucky thing) and it was odd seeing all the couples.

You really shouldn't care. Being single isn't anything bad, don't go out with couples next time.
  • Options
    hehe i solved my issue and did a three way kiss with one of my best mates and my gay best friend. It is shite though, tbh. Speshly when people are being cunts. [/ minor rant not aimed at anyone here]
  • Options
    Personally I'm a believer that if you're lonely then the work needs to be done on yourself more than on finding a mate. If you're happy, you will draw people to you.

Agree with this. I'm single and decided to spend the night working instead. Party atmosphere, good laugh with your work collegues, free drinks bought for you all night (and being allowed to drink them since it's new year), and double pay. I find Christmas eve night is a lot better than new years now, since it's pretty similar without the rip-off prices.

Incidentally, I find going out on valentines day, rather than new year, is more likely to result in you pulling. Everyone in a club is likely to be single, and many will be feeling bitter that they are single so you can take advantage (not that I ever would :no: ).
  • Options
    well I am used to being single now. I have been for so long I can cope fine with it but its just that I feel I am ready to move on to th enext step, coz I reckn thats what it truely is.I mean I know there are people on here saying how they lov ebeing single for years on end but are we meant to be that way? I don't want to be single forever. I want to be able to give.

I didn't get a kiss at midnight, not a proper one. I didn'yt hover round girls expectingly. I made sure I knew which girls were taken and which weren't and I even asked before hand so not assume anything, give them a hocie you know/ I'm not sure if that was a good thing, might be seen as too nice or summat but I wasnt gonna grab a girl and force my tongue down her thorat. Never do that. My mate said I should have done that while we were talking to this girl, the one I wanted to kiss at midnight and she said no way to doing that and I agree. She ended up sleeping with one of my mates who she has slept with before, though my mate claimed they don't od owt sexual this time coz he was to far gone.

I just hope this yera is it for me. I mean its started pretty poorly with th enew year snight, me now being ill with another bloddy cold and my folsk at each others throats so its not looking good but I am hoping for some luck. I still don't think there is better feeling then hugging and kissing someone who is into you and you into them.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    I still don't think there is better feeling then hugging and kissing someone who is into you and you into them.

i totally agree!

well i spent NYE with my ex... which i think was prob a stupid idea in retrospect. it was just depressing cos i was wishing we were still together...
  • Options
    .....that they are single so you can take advantage (not that I ever would :no: ).

Yeah, riiight ;):p

Being a gooseberry is shite, and like Kermit said, it doesn't just happen to single folk. I went for a night down the pub with my friend and his girlfriend while my fella was away, and despite many (many) promises that they wouldn't be all lovey-dovey and exclude me they were just that. I ended up talking to an old perv at the bar most of the evening :thumb:

Some people are so inconsiderate... :grump:
  • Options
    aye. At thi sparty, fairly early on, this couple were all over each toehr int he kitcken, tongues in each others throats, her sta on the counter.

It did'nt stop me getting my drink tho! lol.
  • Options
    :yum:
    Walkindude wrote:
    aye. At thi sparty, fairly early on, this couple were all over each toehr int he kitcken, tongues in each others throats, her sta on the counter.

It did'nt stop me getting my drink tho! lol.

You Voyeur :-) :thumb:
  • Options
    Perhaps you made the wrong choice - you should have found some single friends to go out with. You shouldn't worry so much though, it's just another night.

The only good thing about being the only single among couples is that they might know single people to introduce you to.
  • Options
    well it was tmepting to look, I mean she was one very hot and sexy girl, but I didn't look that much, just made my jd and coke and left!