Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

New Digital Camera

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know this is probably in the wrong forum but I need answers quickly.

My digital camera broke for the last time last night and I'm going to buy a new one. Does anyone have any advice on what specifications to look out for? I bought my old one on the strength of it's pixels, the zoom and video feature turned out to be crap.

Cheers in advance :)!

Comments

• Options
    yeah, it should be in the tech forum.

Anyway, it depends what you want out of your camera. If you want an optical viewfinder then your field might be cut down a fair bit. Do you want something small or something with a bigger, better zoom lens?

Most digital compacts these days are in excess of 3 megapixels anyway, which will mean you can get prints out of them at a decent size.

I'd look for one from a camera manufacturer rather than a technology manufacturer, though there are a few notable exceptions with decent lenses.

If you're looking for zoom, then remember that digital zoom is worthless, only optical zoom is worth considering. If something says 20x digital zoom then you could magnify to 20x, but it would look crap. If something says 20x optical zoom then you could magnify to 20x and it would (or should) look as good as the 1x picture.
  • Options
    I'm looking for a new digital camera too. Ive been told to look for a good optical zoom too, the ones I'm looking at are around 5 or 6 megapixels with 3x optical zoom and 4x digital zoom. They are around £120-£140. I really want a Nikon one though if anyone has got any suggestions on what the best model is.
  • Options
    Depends how much you want to spend too, doesn't it. If I had the money I'd have one of the Canon SLR's. Drool. But anyway, if you want a recommendation for a compact digital camera (which wasn't what you originally asked, I know) we thought very long and hard before we bought ours, and got the Kodak DX7440. It's very good all round and I can't fault it at all. But I'd recommend buying extra memory if you want to take MPEGs.

Here are some of the photos I've taken with it if it helps any.

ETA: Sorry Milky way, don't know about Nikons. :D
  • Options
    I like fuji finepix, they're really small but the screen is relatively big, and it takes lovely photos. If you get one, get a carrycase for it though, as it scratches easily
  • Options
    If you get a copy of what digital camera or similar it will most likely list their top 5 compacts, prosumer and SLR cameras. You could pretty much pick any of them and it would be fine.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    Depends how much you want to spend too, doesn't it. If I had the money I'd have one of the Canon SLR's.

Thr trouble with SLR's are they are big and heavy, I had one and ever used it much cos it was too much hassle to take it anywhere unless it was a special occassion like a wedding.

I returned it in the end.

I recommend you get a camera you're happy to carry around with you, no point having the best camera in the world if it sits at home in the drawer.
  • Options
    I recommend you get a camera you're happy to carry around with you, no point having the best camera in the world if it sits at home in the drawer.

I'd still like a digital SLR.

But I agree with what you say too, which is why I have a compact (apart from the price :D ) Although I now find that the DX 7440 appears to be discontinued, the nearest comparable model seems to be the Kodak Z730.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Thr trouble with SLR's are they are big and heavy, I had one and ever used it much cos it was too much hassle to take it anywhere unless it was a special occassion like a wedding.

I returned it in the end.

David has the EOS 20D Canon SLR camera and it is a fantastic piece of kit. Has lots of fantastic functions and although it is bulky to carry around the end results are all worth it as the pictures are some of the best I have ever seen from a digi camera :)

EDIT: I have a Sony CyberShot and it is a fabby little compact.
  • Options
    i dont know much about them but i got a pentax optio for christmas and its excellent. and much to my fiances disgust currys are selling it fro half price.
  • Options
    Yep. I have the Canon EOS 20D and it really can create some great photos and allow you to really exercise some control over your shots.

Of course, a digital SLR is only worth it if you can value the difference that you'll see in the end results, and want to invest a lot of time and money into it all. If you just want to snap off a few pics then there's no point, most stuff on the market will get you reasonable results.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Yep. I have the Canon EOS 20D

Oh, now I'm green! :D

Cannot justify the expense, not with 5 kids to feed and clothe! (Think an MPV is higher up the list anyway.)