Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

age difference help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok just a quickie.

met a nice girl the other day, only problem is im a 23 year old bloke and shes only 17.

shes a nice girl and that but i cant help thinkin that shes a bit too young and i should knock it on the head before anything happens. but then again i dont really want to.

so in your opinion should i see what happens, or go find someone a bit nearer my age?

Comments

• Options
    Ha, my boyfriend was 23 and I was 17 when we met. He admits he was weary of my age, but I was one month shy of 18 and I'm pretty mature for my age anyway. At 17, she's not a baby. You'll not be branded a pedo and chased down the street with sticks.

Btw, we've been together nearly 2 and a half years.
  • Options
    If you think its worth it then go for it. It'll either work or it won't.

If you make a connection with someone you shouldn't try to ignore it. But more often than not there isn't much of a connection with someone who is not of the same maturity as yourself.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If you think its worth it then go for it. It'll either work or it won't.

If you make a connection with someone you shouldn't try to ignore it. But more often than not there isn't much of a connection with someone who is not of the same maturity as yourself.

thats true... it's part of the adventure :thumb:
  • Options
    I'm 21 and my gf is 17, it doesnt effect us at all and we've been together for about a year and a half. There are 4 years between us but you would probably never guess it as i've got quite a babyface (most people think im about 17/18) and she looks about 18/19. sorry, i know im not helping much but just dont worry about it mate. What exactly is it thats bothering you, the age difference, or how other people will react to your relationship?
  • Options
    go for it.

6 years is not a massive difference, and at your ages you'll probably not be together forever anyway, so as long as no one is taking advantage or anything, have a go and see where it takes you.

however, i would be prepared to take some stick. when i was 21, my (also 21) year old mate went out with a 16 year old girl, and our friends never got tired of laughing at him/bad cradlesnatching/isn't-it-past-her-bedtime jokes.
  • Options
    I know a lad who is 21 and is going out with a 15yr old.
    They started hoing out when he was 19 nearly 20 and she was 14.
    They have been together for over a year and half now and still going strong.
  • Options
    I'm 19 and my current boyfriend is 34. It's all down to preference. If you have a connection with that person then why ignore it? As everyone's said, she's not underage, and she's definately old enough to make her own choice. As long as you have a connection I say go for it.
  • Options
    I'm 21 and my boyfriend is 27 we have been together nearly a whole year now, at first i was worried about how my parents where going to react. But they knew that they could trust me, I think they were a bit worried at first, but once they meet my boyfriend and got to know him they where fine.

My boyfriend does look younger then he is too, I would say about 24.

If both of you are happy with the way the relationship is, then enjoy, its your life.
  • Options
    I am truly surprised when I see the age differences some of you have.

IMO, ten years is maximum. That is what I think. If I meet someone 11 years older than me, I'd probably change what I just said.
  • Options
    ive just turned 16 and im probably going to be getting together with a 19 year old sometime this year
  • Options
    wow

I recently was a a girl who was 15, I'm 21. She tol dme she was 16. The dad wasn't pleased. Needless to say, its ended now.
  • Options
    are you worried about her parents or somithing?
  • Options
    am 29 and my boyfriend is 19. I noitce someone said 10 years is the max, this is first time I have dated someone that younger than me but I also get told I don't look my age alot of people think am only 23 (so much so I had show my bf my id when i met him cause he thought I was lying about my age!) we both get jokes off our parents and that but we both just laugh about as we enjoy being with each other! we have only been seeing each other for around 3 months.

as the other's say though if there is something there then give it a go no harm in trying and you never know it might go very well :)
  • Options
    I met my boyfriend when I was 17 and he was 23 too (I'm now 19 and he's 25.)
    I think as long as she's on the same wavelength as you in regard to maturity and what you want from the relationship, and share a few interests etc, all should be good. :thumb:
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    I agree with everyone who has said about going for it. I'm 17, and my boyf's 31, we've known each other for 6 months, and being a couple for 2 months, has been rocky at times, but the positives always outweigh the negatives in our relationship.

31!! :eek: I'm 17 myself, could never see myself with a 31 woman, but i suppose its your preference. Whats wrong with 17 year old blokes eh?
  • Options
    I'd say go for it if you like her!

Yeah, shes younger but thats not that important really. Forget what other people will think too :p
  • Options
    There's not a huge age gap, the gap is insignificant. There's much worse, it's not rare for 30 year olds to go out with 15-17 year olds, it's disgusting really, but that's the way it works.

Really, there's almost no difference in your ages.
  • Options
    my girlfriend is 16, i'm 19. I piss off loads of 16 year olds. Ha ha ha ha.
  • Options
    (she's more mature than me you see)
  • Options
    man,

how can a 21 year old get any girl when they are taken by guy sin late twenties and 30's, there the girls my age, and then younger one sin their teens are also taken by older guys or just younger then me guys.

it sucks!

mind u, with all this older men and younger girls, surely there be some legal recourse like, techinally illegal u know, I doubt the fathers mind.